Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default 991 Porsche 911 Turbo - Tri Turbo powered

Quote:
Porsche is upping the engineering ante with their 2013 911 Turbo, which our spy photographer caught yesterday, to deliver more power and better fuel efficiency all at once.
The new 911 Turbo will keep the same 3.8-liter horizontally opposed six cylinder engine as previous models, but it will have a new boost thanks to a complex tri-turbo setup similar to what BMW is using in the M550d xDrive and X5 M50d models, among others.
The system employs one smaller turbocharger and two larger ones. The smaller spools up more quickly at lower rpms, delivering an initial power boost that carries smoothly into the second and third larger units.
Although the horsepower ratings aren’t certain yet, the new system is expected to boost the 911 Turbo from 495 to 525 horsepower, which is quite close to the 530 hp 911 Turbo S.
Porsche is currently completing testing on the tri-turbo setup inside their 991, though further details can’t be that far off given that it’s slated for the 2013 model year.

Porsche upping the ante once again. Cannot wait to see this thing go.
Still my preference will be the GT3 RS when that eventually graces us with its presence.

Old 31-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Default Re: 991 Porsche 911 Turbo - Tri Turbo powered

The 991 fixes the (minute) design quibbles I had with the 997, so basically, this car is perfect! ;)

And to see the 7-speed manual and all this other fuel saving tech is just awesome! VW Beetle FTW!!!
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Thats cool. Essentially a sequential setup with a small single firing up first with the two bigger turbos coming on stream afterwards. The plumbing would be interesting. I'd imagine it'd be the bigger turbos would be positioned 1 per bank with the 1 small turbo downstream after the two banks merge. This sort of setup would allow the possible deleting of a muffler.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Location: Working hard. If you work hard you get the goodies.

You have to give Porsche credit with their evolutionary innovations. The new Carrera S laps the Nurburgring at the same time as the current turbo (about 7m40s) so we can only look forward to this 991 turbo and 991 GT3/2 versions. I know some people poo poo the "911" shape, however I feel the new 991/911 will have most nodding in approval at last. I'm a huge Porsche fan so I find the new 991/911 incredibly appealing and very impressive, and I'm not easily inpressed.
Old 31-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'd love to see how they went about plumbing the turbos in on a flat 6 cos with the inline 6 its a simple proposition and quite easy to plumb in.
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Imagine when the performance shops get a hold of them, hahaha. Insanity will ensue.
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Location: Working hard. If you work hard you get the goodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconnut
Imagine when the performance shops get a hold of them, hahaha. Insanity will ensue.
Ha, ha, ha? More like RUF, RUF, RUF. I am already smiling at how insane it will be!
Old 31-01-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry 351
Ha, ha, ha? More like RUF, RUF, RUF. I am already smiling at how insane it will be!
Ahhhh we need that German journalist with the white socks and loafers to test it at the Nurburgring
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post