Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #31
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The owner of a $1.2m Bugatti Veyron EB is being sued for allegedly driving his superc

Yes... there was never any pelican...

Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #32
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The owner of a $1.2m Bugatti Veyron EB is being sued for allegedly driving his superc

BAHAHAHA!!! Gold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
The story mentions nothing of Police or Criminal charges..

Charged by Police = criminal.

Sued by the insurer = civil. He is being sued by the insurer so it is civil.
Still - he is either guilty of the fraud accusations (reason for being sued) or he is not. Currently he is NOT, otherwise we'd already be seeing the results of the court case..

I'm trying to think of a "You got served" joke but i can't quite work one out lol
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #33
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

douuble.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 08:34 PM   #34
EF ECTIV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabbage
Pretty straight forward fraud, make false statement, gain benefit by deception take your pick, all of which are criminal offences which need to be proven in Australia beyond all reasonable doubt. US may be different but he is innocent until proven guilty. I think the article said the car was worth $1 million but it was insured for much more maybe $2 million. Easy to see why he did it!!
incorrect.... As Stefan said no the article doesnt mention any criminal
proceedings being commenced... If police charge him obviously it also becomes
a criminal matter, but since its only the insurer suing him its a civil matter...
Which like I said is decided on the balance of probabilities....

If found guilty, he has obviously lied and the facts may suggest fraud but
until the police initiate criminal proceedings it remains a separate civil matter...

edit: Even if the police do charge him, the proceedings instigated by the
insurer will always be a civil matter, separate from police charging him... Thus
he could be found guilty of fraud in the civil case (based on balance of
probabilities) but be found not guilty of fraud in the criminal case as the
prosecution couldnt produce enough evidence to show he was guilty
beyond a reasonable doubt.

1998 EL XR8 S2, Oxford, Manual, tickford kit
Project

2013 G6ET

Stock daily

2022 Patrol TiL
Stock daily
EF ECTIV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 08:39 PM   #35
Mr G8
Maximum Derek

Borrowed a mil? Oh yeah i'll just up to one of my mate and say "Oi, can i borrow a million dollars to buy a 1000HP car, and kill it to get an extra 1 mill? Thanks!" lol That 'friend' is way too loose with his money!

2008 FG XT 6 Speed
18's, Tint, ZF Conversion, LED Conversion, Exhaust.
Mr G8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #36
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF ECTIV
insurer will always be a civil matter, separate from police charging him... Thus
Correct I believe OJ Simpson was innocent in his criminal proceedings and guilty in the civil proceedings.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2011, 11:05 PM   #37
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

From my viewing of the video i can not without a reasonable doubt ascertain whether their was or wasn't a pelican. So i will reside with the judge on this one.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #38
raptorv8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd_on20s
so with that kind of cash, and assets, he isnt too hard up on needing more cash.

and is the insurer really going with "he had the engine running for 15 mins after?"

it's impossble to run a efi engine in water for 15 mins.
I would say its totally possible, look at pics of it in the water, the intakes are not covered probably just the bottom of the block and turbos so if its all watertight down there which it would be no issue with running a partially submerged petrol motor, 4wds do it everyday.

But on topic sucked in to him, gotta suck trying to do the dodge and getting caught.
raptorv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 09:58 PM   #39
Cabbage
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
The story mentions nothing of Police or Criminal charges..

Charged by Police = criminal.

Sued by the insurer = civil. He is being sued by the insurer so it is civil.
Appreciate that however i made no mention of the article stating the police were involved, I was commenting on the statement that it was really only a civil matter. The driver has committed fraud/gained benefit by deception and most likely made a false statement to the insurer. Nothing to stop it being both a criminal and civil matter. The police however will only proceed usually if they receive a complaint, in this case from the insurer. It may depend on whether the insurer has paid out on the claim as to whether they refer if to police or pursue the claimant civily. If they haven't lost money I would think they would refer it to police. Moral of the story is if you're gunna pull a shonk make sure no-one is filming you.
Cabbage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 10:11 PM   #40
Cabbage
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF ECTIV
incorrect.... As Stefan said no the article doesnt mention any criminal
proceedings being commenced... If police charge him obviously it also becomes
a criminal matter, but since its only the insurer suing him its a civil matter...
Which like I said is decided on the balance of probabilities....

If found guilty, he has obviously lied and the facts may suggest fraud but
until the police initiate criminal proceedings it remains a separate civil matter...

Wasn't disagreeing as to the standard of proof just commenting that in the first instance he has committed a criminal offence. Most civil actions follow after criminal matters for a couple of reasons, the most obvious one being if a person is found guilty at a criminal trial with a higher standard of proof than a civil trial, the civil matter should be a reasonably sure thing.
Cabbage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #41
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Very impressive collection of cars, I wonder if he's had other accidents happen before and successfully claimed?

He'd have difficulty driving here in OZ with our kangaroo's, emu's and wombats
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post