Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-12-2011, 09:00 PM   #1
Tokyo Geoff
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default In car "crash" camera recommendations

Howdy
Seems as though ACA and TT frequently have segments on "crash" camera video loggers. I think my dog could give a better unbiased report than those shows. The cameras seem pretty expensive for the quality of the chip being used and I was wondering if anyone here actually has one? I think the GoPro is a better camera but some of the others have inertial bump sensors apparently for car parks etc.

They seem like a good idea as I think many of us have had one of those incidents of my word against his. Mine came after a road rage incident where my nose got broken and the cops did naught after his mates (he called them during the lead up, said I threw the first punch.

Anywho back on topic, any recommendations or feedback please?
Cheers and thanks
Geoff

Tokyo Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 
Default Re: In car "crash" camera recommendations

Couple of people on here have been using the HD cameras from On-site Cameras .... there's also a new model now with GPS/speed readings on it as well.

Look for FullNoise ... he has a selection of videos on youtube ... and is a member here as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
z80
Banned

Just bought this one.

it is absolutely sensational....built in GPS,sound, and on screen speed,time,gps coordinates...

It just plugs and plays...no fiddling.

http://www.racerecall.com/hdtrakka-g...ght-p-109.html
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #4
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got one off ebay (no idea what brand, threw the box out).
It has a date/time stamp but no GPS intergration.
Was $240 and resolution is pretty good etc... great idea.

One thing which is a trap for people is that they are usually set up to overwrite old files as soon as the power is turned off and turned on again.
So if you have an incident or accident, TAKE THE CARD OUT!
Have a spare SD card handy just in case.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 10:36 PM   #5
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I bought Jack one of these from Onsite cameras. We keep forgetting we have it as we don't leave it in the car. Bought it mainly for AFF Drag days.

We did leave it in the car once when we had some work done at Pedders though...was very interesting viewing to say the least!
Old 22-12-2011, 10:56 PM   #6
Matty4
Banana

I have one of these,
http://www.autoblackbox.com.au/index...&product_id=66
pretty good but image quality can suffer a bit at night in low light.
It will only overwrite once the SD card is full, and will overwrite the oldest files first. Am 8GB card holds 12hrs of footage.

I also have one of these,
http://www.brashimports.com.au/cardvr1.html
Image quality seems a little bit better, but haven't used it at night yet. No GPS function and a bit bulkier and obtrusive in the car compared to the other one. I see that they have now introduced a GPS one too.