Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
creative
I am Batman

Default Battery terminals

Just a quick one for everyone really.

As some of you may or may not know, this week I whipped the rocker covers off the car to check my rattling noise.

Part of the procedure is to disconnect the battery. As it had been a while since I did this last I noticed a small amount of crystals on the positive terminal underneath the red terminal cover.

As I soon discovered there was quite alot of deposit under this cover so I cleaned off the terminal and found:

one very knackered connector!

Might be worth checking your cars after all this wet weather we have been having and re grease the terminals to prevent this from happening.

the oxidisation is caused by metal on metal contact, moisture and an electric current. it gradually eats away at the connectors if not cleaned off. The terminals need sealing with Vaseline or grease of some description to prevent moisture from getting to the contacts.

Now replaced with a new terminal block!!

creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
eaglem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Battery terminals

I generally give mine a liberal spray of CRC before putting a coat of grease or vaseline to dispel moisture.
eaglem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Quality contribution which has gone somewhat un-noticed so far. 

Also caused by acid vented from a non sealed battery. A quick wash down with warm water will neutralise the sulfuric battery acid.
Also worth check under the battery, ive seen quite a bit of corrosion on battery trays due to leaking/venting acid
XARATE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

boil the kettle and pour it over the terminal and the posts, it will take that crap right off, i usually give the post and terminal an emery if they get to that state as well, and there`s some proper terminal spray that`s better than grease imo, good car places or sparkys have it.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 09:14 PM   #5
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Warm water and baking soda gents... water alone doesnt neautralise the acid.
All pouring water does it make the acid weaker.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Some great advice here guys and a great reminder for members to check their battery terminals.

Cheers
Col
Old 06-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #7
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Warm water and baking soda gents... water alone doesnt neautralise the acid.
All pouring water does it make the acid weaker.
Yes, and take the battery out of the car first so that the corrosion residue doesnt go down into the car bodywork.

Before reconnecting the terminals, I coat the posts with some Pep battery anti corrosion paste which prevents corrosion. Worked well over the years.

And if the battery is leaking around the posts or anywhere, its best to not muck around with it, buy a new one.

Another thing with batteries, the electrolyte should only be to the bottom of the split filler tubes. Never much higher or the acid will spit out of the cap vents. Wish they tell that to the apprentices at the dealers.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2011, 11:50 PM   #8
BHDOGS
Banned

Or just go and buy some new terminals for 20 bucks from supercheap every couple of years there cheap as and easy to wire up
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 12:10 AM   #9
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Quality contribution which has gone somewhat un-noticed so far. 

Just for ***** and giggles

If your going to the trouble of cleaning terminals make sure you tighten them properly

Recently had a customer come in with this

He didnt tighten his terminals correctly, his car ran a computer controlled charge system which over charged (29v on a 12v car) due to the high terminal resistance.
Ended with a nice bang, luckly no fire.
XARATE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 09:26 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i had a terminal like that on one of my new truck batteries (4 of the mongrels), i forgot to tighten one terminal up as soon as i went to start it........ it melted the terminal off ,
i ground the terminal off flat with grinder (very carefully), made a bit of a mould with some aluminum sheet and melted some fishing sinkers onto it, give it a file down and ......good as new baby .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2011, 11:59 PM   #11
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

I use this stuff on my trucks and cars, gone are the days of corroded terminals.
This stuff is awesome, just spray it on, it's like a paint.
http://www.crcindustries.com.au/batt...inal-protector
Old 09-10-2011, 12:36 AM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

We used this really awesome battery terminal spray when I was at Honda, I think it was Wurth branded? It sprays on a thick blue colour, never have any terminals corroded on any cars we used this stuff on.

I've got the yellow CRC stuff here at home.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post