Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
mad-xa

Default council visit

o.k ive had a visit it was pretty funny really about 2 weeks ago a house inspecter from my realestate rocked up without warning or reason we had a chat about my classic falcons in my front yard her asking what im doing with them and which are regoed and so on ,me having a feeling that she was setting me up for a realestate issue but knowing that because she turned up without notice it would be hard for her to do anything...so she rang the council lol the guy who turns up was fine with the property tells me that yes i do have more unregoed vehicles than i should but if i put them out of view no worrys he was great told me he had a coupe back in the day and hopes the resto of mine goes well lol....so not all council visitors are bad,,,

mad-xa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: council visit

Depending on the local bylaws... our council here says that unregistered complete cars are ok in the yard... but not when used as storage!
Cant leave them on footpath... and well on front yard is fine, as long as its not a parking lot basically and that its clean (no long grass etc...)

It all depends on your approach as always.
And helps if the inspector owned a coupe!

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I cant see how the local council would have an issue wether a car is regoed or not
IF its not an eye sore for the neighbours, inflicting the footpath in anyway , which in some places is now a fineable offence,or there are covenants in an estate,which again some have,no vehicles outside of the front fence,or in the driveway must be out of sight
It has absolutely nothin to do with the local council
If its the place ive been ,when i bought stuff for my XC, i wouldnt call it bad or untidy,just a petrol head like me
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #4
mad-xa

yea the real-estate ldy was ****y cause she couldnt complain through the real-estate so done the only thing she could..lol didnt work so stuff m.
Old 21-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #5
AMGC63
Banned

Id imagine both the Real-estate agent and the council will simply want to ensure the house is not an eye sore and dump or wrecking yard for old cars...

Nothing spoils a street or neighborhood more than old unused cars piled up in the front yard in long grass...

Councils have the power to demand they be removed or relocated out of sight.
AMGC63 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #6
mad-xa

true if it was like that id understand but i have no grass all cement both my xc falcons are very tidy and washed often her comment to me was that i had a bit of a parking lot, his comment was no idea what there problem was other than my coupe in the carport looked a little rough but if i covered the front so it couldnt be seen from the road no worryss..
Old 21-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would take a picture of how it looks now.... the agent may in the future not give you a good report if you decide to move and rent elsewhere and need a reference.
Just in case....

Old 21-09-2011, 09:44 PM   #8
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: council visit

Same thing happened to me a few years back
we live in a commision house
and the inspector came around and complained about the cars
He threatened to call the rego office and find out which
ones were registered or not ( rego and housing are both govt owned)
I told him we had 3 kids with cars that were being done up
and he said OK I guess 3 kids and our car is fine
I think it had something to do with a busybody in the street
John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 09:18 AM   #9
AMGC63
Banned

Not suggesting the OP is in anyway like this but you can see why some people draw attention to themselves...!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/mor...-1226148421570
AMGC63 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 10:03 AM   #10
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Looks like the morning after a Hoon's partys, nothing unusual there
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #11
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

why don't you sell one of your "classics" for a deposit on your own joint? then you don't need to worry about real estate ldy's turning up unanounced and the owner doesn't need to worry about their house looking like a tip.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #12
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We had a unregod nc fairlane on our front lawn far from the kerb/road, it was a very neat and tidy car. Council said they would tow it if we didnt move it....
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 06:44 PM   #13
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZHLANE
We had a unregod nc fairlane on our front lawn far from the kerb/road, it was a very neat and tidy car. Council said they would tow it if we didnt move it....
If the car is on your property then they cant touch it generally, most of the council bylaws will state that if the car is in bits, looks untidy, surrounded by high grass, used as a storage area etc, while its on the front lawn and they receive a complaint about it, then they can ask you to move it.

But if the car is complete and tidy... sounds like someone flexing their arms..

The idea is to keep the front lawns of people homes looking clean and tidy so it doesnt look like some sort of slum area.

Generally if the car is unregistered, keep it in the shed, or keep the car in the backyard in one piece (unless your actually restoring it, which could take time!)
Dont let the grass grow wild around it and dont let it turn into a rusting hulk.

Plenty of people out there have yards which look absolutely disgusting, which end up being a haven for vermin and a fire hazzard if it has long grass.

Have a neighbour who lives like a pig next door... and its a housing commission flat.... 6yrs later after many complaints from his neighbours and myself... he is still there... rats and all.

Old 28-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #14
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-0733
why don't you sell one of your "classics" for a deposit on your own joint? then you don't need to worry about real estate ldy's turning up unanounced and the owner doesn't need to worry about their house looking like a tip.
That won't stop the council sticking their noses in.

Quote:
from herald sun
Axella Johannesson of Traralgon Posted at 4:37 PM Today
No one has the right to devalue the homes around them - especially when your neighbours are helping to pay your rent!
i hope that chick never ****ess off her neighbors. they might think she's devaluing the neighbourhood.
Old 28-09-2011, 08:47 PM   #15
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

my wife got angry when I wanted to store my 'spare parts cars' on top of each other. I thought the 'classic american wrecking yard look' was ok.
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2011, 09:41 PM   #16
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just be thankful it isn't some areas in the USA...one motorcycle forum I used to frequent had a lot of Yanks, and some started a thread whining about some rediculous laws that said if you had an unregistered car in your yard, and it was visible from the road (or a complaining neighbour could see it) they'd come and take it to be crushed. Also if it was "incomplete" it was a "junker" and would be confiscated. One guy on the forum had just been through a legal battle to get back his immaculate Oldsmobile 442 which had been siting under a tarp beside his shed up on blocks with no wheels (factory alloys away being reconditioned) and no engine (also away being rebuilt) and some neighbour complained, and they came and towed it.

One formum member who was restoring an old 512 Ferrari said that if they came and towed it, they'd have to discuss the matter with his two pit bulls to get it ut of the driveway...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2011, 01:18 AM   #17
mad-xa

o.k had the council return for his second follow up inspection ,he walked into the property shook my hand thanked
me for my time and told me he hopes my restoration of my coupes goes well...and GT-0733 mate these are my cars would you sell your car because somebody else didnt like the look of it..and thats all it was.. id had a realestate inspection within that week and they were happy with the way i kept the property
Old 29-09-2011, 08:32 AM   #18
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad-xa
o.k had the council return for his second follow up inspection ,he walked into the property shook my hand thanked
me for my time and told me he hopes my restoration of my coupes goes well...and GT-0733 mate these are my cars would you sell your car because somebody else didnt like the look of it..and thats all it was.. id had a realestate inspection within that week and they were happy with the way i kept the property

good on you mate for being cool with the inspections. obviously the woman wasn't a car person the council fella was.

the answer to your question is: i wouldn't put myself in a position to need to sell, based on someone elses opinion, especially if renting.
i did a restoration of a XE Fairmont back around 2002, we were renting at the time, but EVERYTHING was done in a enclosed garage with a roller door. the donor car was around the back. it was the donor car that caused the problem when we moved out as it had created a "dead" patch on the grass, which we had to get re-turfed out of our bond. live and learn
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #19
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Just be thankful it isn't some areas in the USA...one motorcycle forum I used to frequent had a lot of Yanks, and some started a thread whining about some rediculous laws that said if you had an unregistered car in your yard, and it was visible from the road (or a complaining neighbour could see it) they'd come and take it to be crushed. Also if it was "incomplete" it was a "junker" and would be confiscated. One guy on the forum had just been through a legal battle to get back his immaculate Oldsmobile 442 which had been siting under a tarp beside his shed up on blocks with no wheels (factory alloys away being reconditioned) and no engine (also away being rebuilt) and some neighbour complained, and they came and towed it.
As silly as this seems, the wave of stupidity comes across the water
A new estate near me a covernant of the estate is
No vehicle forward of the house
Yep , not in the drive,in the front yard, on the street
I can see how this helps to keep house values for some, but we dont have a housing crisis in this country,people can selectivly live where they choose
So getting that new house to rent as opposed to living on the streets isnt a problem
Im on acreage,i have a designated "Graveyard"once anything gets in the graveyard it future is sims
Im always upped by the minister , "That and that should be in the graveyard"
See the delema
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #20
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
As silly as this seems, the wave of stupidity comes across the water
A new estate near me a covernant of the estate is
No vehicle forward of the house
Yep , not in the drive,in the front yard, on the street
I can see how this helps to keep house values for some, but we dont have a housing crisis in this country,people can selectivly live where they choose
So getting that new house to rent as opposed to living on the streets isnt a problem
Im on acreage,i have a designated "Graveyard"once anything gets in the graveyard it future is sims
Im always upped by the minister , "That and that should be in the graveyard"
See the delema

We have had a few problems like that over the years.

The party trick is to get anyone you know who fits a potential buyer demographic to visit with the real estate agent and be very keen to buy until the covenant is discussed and then just drop it like a hot rock as in absolute deal breaker.

It will not take long until the covenant is gone.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post