Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-09-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
Racer_X

Default Looking for some Vacation advice

Hello everyone.

I am a fellow Ford nut from the states. I work part time at a Shop in Maryland called "Revolution Automotive". I have a Mustang that I do some open track and drag racing with. Its a pretty nice street car. I added the link to my youtube vids. Mine is the Black 1996.

Anyway my point. I am planning a vacation to Sydney. I am currently in Afghanistan and will be on my 2 week R&R in November. I just really want to know if anybody here is willing to help. I would like to know what bars to go , what places not to go to. I am considering staying very close to Bondi Beach. there are apartments for rent pretty cheap. I am also considering renting a car. Hertz has the Falcon GT. one more thing (I am sure I will have more questions later) Is there a street scene on where car junkies gather at night.

I also plan on a track day in the V8 Supercars. If anybody has been wanting to do that. The more the merrier.

Here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/user/ngssg

Thanks

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Looking for some Vacation advice

Hmmmm

Will you be staying in Sydney the whole time? Bars in Sydney are pretty good, don't know of any you "shouldn't" go to to be honest!

You can hire classic Mustangs and other "unique" cars as well. Don't know how it works if your not an Aussie as they seem to be privately owned cars. I can let you know where to look if you're keen.

The bars around "The Rocks" area are pretty good. Good international beers available from The Lowenbrau on Argile st.

If you are staying in or around Bondi beach, and a place with a car spot is not too much more than one without then take the one with parking. There is not much 'free' parking in the area and you will be up for a bit of money for parking fees. Parking also has day time restrictions as to how long your car can sit in the same space (2 - 4 hours).

Cheers,

Jason
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 04:37 PM   #3
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Why stay in Sydney..?

Its spring carnival Melbourne will be going off with heaps of Ladies and events scheduled. Plenty of options for V8 track days with 3 race tracks to choose from....

Stay in Sydney for a day...see the Opera House and the Bridge....thats about all it has to offer...then head down to the most liveable city in the World....

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva

The bars around "The Rocks" area are pretty good. Good international beers available from The Lowenbrau on Argile st.

Jason
I must agree! I love the Lowenbrau, but just up from it is The Argyle. Its even better, probably one of the best in Sydney. Then you've got the upmarket "The Ivy" and The Establishment. Try Cargo Bar and Bungalow 8 which are out on the board walk in the harbor just past the aquarium as they're pretty good. There is heaps of cool pubs on Oxford St - just mind you don't walk into one with a different sexual orientation to yourself or you may find yourself on the receiving end of something that could be unpleasant

Unless you're looking for strippers I wouldn't reccommend Kings Cross. Its a hole full of slimeballs and junkies and douches out looking for fights..

Harrys Cafe De Wheels are generally havens for car enthusiasts. The last Saturday of every month has the best show on at Liverpool. There is also one closer to the city in Wooloomooloo.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
Dusty1
Giddy up!

That pub with the beer garden on the roof near the Bridge that has views across the harbor is pretty special.

Someone local will know the name, it in the Rocks.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYVYSS
Why stay in Sydney..?

Its spring carnival Melbourne will be going off with heaps of Ladies and events scheduled. Plenty of options for V8 track days with 3 race tracks to choose from....

Stay in Sydney for a day...see the Opera House and the Bridge....thats about all it has to offer...then head down to the most liveable city in the World....
Yes wander off the Melbourne and observe the largest concentration of speed cameras in the world.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2011, 12:20 AM   #7
Racer_X

Thanks to all that posted so far. This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Nothing is locked in except flying to Sydney and flying back from Sydney. I could road trip to Melbourne is possible with a flight back connecting me to my flight to the UAE. I am for sure wanting to do some drinking as well as socializing with some car peeps. Please keep the info coming.

Where are these classic stangs for rent?

For lack of better words. Does anybody "Cruise the strip" ? Like back in the US if I don't feel like a beer or 2, I can take the car out for a friday night and get into some trouble. Just watch out for Johny Law.

BTW any of you watch my vids?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2011, 08:22 AM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Classic Stangs for rent:

http://www.redballoon.com.au/driving...tang-for-a-day

http://www.redballoon.com.au/driving...-a-day-midweek

http://www.redballoon.com.au/driving...7-ford-mustang

It says in the conditions that you need to show driving history as well. Could be an issue for yourself then, unless you can supply the paperwork? An email / phone call to them will clarify things I guess.

Sydney to Melbourne by car is around 10 hours directly, and as long as you want if you go along the coast and stop a few times.

If you are to do any driving, look into hiring a GPS as well. Having said that, rental companies can charge up to $10 a day for one but a basic unit to get you around can be bought for around $90-$120.

Cheers
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X
"Cruise the strip" ?
Prinny Highway, LOL.

Expect to be harassed by police if you show up in an area like that with a decent car.

Also, you'll be driving on the left side of the road, in a right hand drive car, probably not a good idea to do any driving in built up areas for a while.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post