Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-10-2005, 11:47 AM   #1
Dodge
i like to be stroked

Default computer xperts

i took my lappy to a so called expert to have it virus scaned and cleaned
I picked it up and he tells me he wiped the hard drive and reinstalled his softwear, fine but i have now lost all my pics and emails, all my bas work and other stuff. He wiped it and recovered it as he could reset it back . then i asked him to save all my files and then he could reboot the system..anyway i found my pics and files but cant find old emails and addresses
Any help please
as for the so called xpert , he was a friend of my wifes who i have banned from my house and xmas card list.

Old 30-10-2005, 12:08 PM   #2
chippa6
Novice Professional

Unfortunately a lot of people think its too hard to back up emails etc so it doesn't get done in these situations. By the sounds of things if he as formatted your hard drive they are now lost.

depending what email program you are using I would recommend constantly backing up your emails and addresses quite often.

If you are using outlook you can export to a file
File Menu > Import Export > export to a file > Personal folder file (.pst).

You can export all of your folders and your contact list also. It will then just save as one file. I would assume that since you are using the same computer for business as well as internet you have a backup plan like regularly backing up bas info etc onto a memory stick or rewritable disc. Backup your email to this also.

hope this helps,

Chippa

Last edited by chippa6; 30-10-2005 at 12:10 PM. Reason: too early to spell properly
chippa6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2005, 01:49 PM   #3
CarBroker
Banned

It won't help you now, but using gmail is an excellent way to prevent such dramas. Its spam filtering works better than most too.
CarBroker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2005, 03:22 PM   #4
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another thing to do when setting up the PC is to partition the hard drive to at least 2 partitions. So if the system drive needs to be formatted due to corruption etc, then you can copy the data you need to the second partition before formatting

When I've done re-installs for friends, I've gone through their stuff with them and copied it to one of my hard drives, then copied it back. That way, anything that is lost isn't my fault as they said the rest was OK to wipe
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.

Last edited by pauljh74; 30-10-2005 at 03:31 PM.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2005, 06:10 PM   #5
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge
i took my lappy to a so called expert to have it virus scaned and cleaned
I picked it up and he tells me he wiped the hard drive and reinstalled his softwear, fine but i have now lost all my pics and emails, all my bas work and other stuff. He wiped it and recovered it as he could reset it back . then i asked him to save all my files and then he could reboot the system..anyway i found my pics and files but cant find old emails and addresses
Any help please
as for the so called xpert , he was a friend of my wifes who i have banned from my house and xmas card list.
There's no real reason to re-load the operating system. Often it's the quick and easy way out. Takes 30 mins instead of the 2-5 hours to fix problems manually. If he was a real "expert" he would never format your machine and reload as a first option, certainly not without a copy of the hdd in question as a backup.

When i work on customers machines, i backup the drive completely before i even start working on it! Saves hassles later if i do need to format, plus it gives the customer a backup (they never have time to do a backup funny enough)

It's a good habbit to get into, you should demand this next time anyone else touches your machine. DVD media is cheap and these guys usually charge heaps in comparison. Another thing to look for if you're getting the machine fixed by someone, and it's a windows machine, make sure they are microsoft certified - it will save you in most cases, as it will filter out the back yarders.
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2005, 08:39 PM   #6
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

I have another challenge for you computer experts, I have this old as HP Laserjet 4MV that I am trying figure out how I can print to it. Because it is so old it has ethernet and is not as easy to get to work in XP, the main problem is that I can't get the IP address for the printer if so then it'd be a piece of ****. The printer is plugged into my router as well as my dads Mac which can use the printer fine but I can't find a IP address for it on his computer either, I've looked on the HP website but did not help. If you can help then your a legend.
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2005, 09:10 PM   #7
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14A-Mclaren
I have another challenge for you computer experts, I have this old as HP Laserjet 4MV that I am trying figure out how I can print to it. Because it is so old it has ethernet and is not as easy to get to work in XP, the main problem is that I can't get the IP address for the printer if so then it'd be a piece of ****. The printer is plugged into my router as well as my dads Mac which can use the printer fine but I can't find a IP address for it on his computer either, I've looked on the HP website but did not help. If you can help then your a legend.
Check your router for the devices it's discovered, it should show you each items IP address, just ignore the ones you know (check the mac and your pc's IP), and you'll find the one for the printer. If this dowesn't work try a hard reset of the printer, i know it works for the 4000 series, usually holding down one of the buttons while powering it on.

EDIT: Then you need to add the driver, Add Printers -> Local Printer (untick auto detect) -> Create new port -> Standard TCP/IP PORT -> Type the IP in the wizard -> Select the driver from the list -> change default paper size.

Good luck mate!
Old 30-10-2005, 11:41 PM   #8
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by au^ute
Check your router for the devices it's discovered, it should show you each items IP address, just ignore the ones you know (check the mac and your pc's IP), and you'll find the one for the printer. If this dowesn't work try a hard reset of the printer, i know it works for the 4000 series, usually holding down one of the buttons while powering it on.

EDIT: Then you need to add the driver, Add Printers -> Local Printer (untick auto detect) -> Create new port -> Standard TCP/IP PORT -> Type the IP in the wizard -> Select the driver from the list -> change default paper size.

Good luck mate!
Yeah I know that part, it doesnt show up in the router, and i dont know how to hard reset it either.
Old 31-10-2005, 12:28 AM   #9
TURBO_GHIA
hmmm boost

before you do any he should have ghoasted your HDD
TUNED BY JEM
TURBO_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2005, 12:28 AM   #10
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14A-Mclaren
Yeah I know that part, it doesnt show up in the router, and i dont know how to hard reset it either.
Ok, found a link here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...pm00717#N1002E

You want to do "08 RESET". After you've done this, it will get a new address from the router. If not, cycle power again, and print a self test, it should be on the menu of the printer.
Old 31-10-2005, 12:38 AM   #11
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDMONTY
before you do any he should have ghoasted your HDD
: LOL, don’t forget to backup, even though it's only a printer!
Old 31-10-2005, 06:15 PM   #12
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Quote:
Ok, found a link here: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...pm00717#N1002E

You want to do "08 RESET". After you've done this, it will get a new address from the router. If not, cycle power again, and print a self test, it should be on the menu of the printer.
Gives me 192.0.0.192 but I don't know if thats right and I don't know how I am supposed to set it up right in windows.
Old 31-10-2005, 07:42 PM   #13
max^power
Formerly au^ute

ill write a basic tutorial for u. Give me a few mins
Old 31-10-2005, 07:51 PM   #14
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Quote:
ill write a basic tutorial for u. Give me a few mins
Legend, the problem I think is there is no name for the device I've networked my other computers easily enough cause I just went, \\IP address\computer name but I can't find a name for it.
Old 31-10-2005, 08:21 PM   #15
max^power
Formerly au^ute

http://www.dhcpower.com.au/au%5Eute/...nter_to_xp.htm

here you go mclaren, some of those windows may not appear, just remember to use your ip in place of mine.

It's a generic enough demo that anyone can use, hope it's helpful!
Old 31-10-2005, 08:41 PM   #16
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Thats a real good wizard, but the test page never came, I assume thats because the Ip address is wrong, I tried pinging it as well and there was no reply.