Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 25-10-2005, 12:34 AM   #1
QUIKXR6
Kurucu Performance

Default EL XR6 Engine Wont Start...Possible Causes???

Hi guys...i bought a second hand el xr6 engine..and have installed it in my ed xr6...i have wired everything up...i am running an el xr6 ecu on it... i cant seem to get the engine started after putting everything together...from what i gather...there is fuel coming into the engine...there is sparks at the end of the leads... when i crank it the engine does crank over but not start...however when i keep cranking sounds like its back firing a bit...the sparks look pretty worned out...i will be changing them tomorow to see if thats the problem...apart from that what else may be the problem with the engine...has anyone had this problem b4?

Www.KurucuPerformance.Vze.Com
QUIKXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2005, 12:47 AM   #2
gtfpv
GT

Did You Hear It Running Before You Bought It . If Not You Must Give It A Compression Test. Also If You Or Someone Else Assembled The Engine Cam Shaft Timing Comes Into Play...
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2005, 12:55 AM   #3
QUIKXR6
Kurucu Performance

Nope...havnt heard it running...the engine came out of a damaged vehicle...how would you do a compression test if the engine wont start..the engine has not been opened...it has its seals still from factory and doesnt leak oil so i gave it a nice clean and put it straight into the car...no aftermarket camshaft or anything have been fitted..

Old 25-10-2005, 12:59 AM   #4
gtfpv
GT

It Is Complicated And You Need Acompression Gauge If You Have These You Need To Know The Procedure . I Think You May Have To Get Some Help On This . However Most Times An Engine Wont Start Is Because Of The Ignition System But You Need To Rule Out Everything .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2005, 01:02 AM   #5
FPVWEPN
Team Urinal Cake Racing

what about the dev kit ???
FPVWEPN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2005, 01:12 AM   #6
QUIKXR6
Kurucu Performance

Dev kit will go in once the engine is up and running...first i'd just like to see the engine working properly...i thought that it might have been the ignition coil but i changed it and the probelm doesnt seem to be there...i put a screwdriver on the first ignition leads and it sparked when i put it close to an earth... and fuel seems to be coming through...what other things should i try..to rule them out... i will try n replace spark plugs....what else?

Old 25-10-2005, 01:23 AM   #7
FPVWEPN
Team Urinal Cake Racing

check ur starter motor alternator fuses relays it might be electrical problem
FPVWEPN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2005, 01:27 AM   #8
QUIKXR6
Kurucu Performance

I have checked the fuses...they all seem to be okay...starter motor is working and cranks...

Old 25-10-2005, 06:24 AM   #9
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Are the plugs wet? If not and you dont seem to have ignition then you have no fuel.If there is fuel in the plugs straight after you crank the engine then you have ignition problems.Check that the leads and distributor are in correctly.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2005, 09:02 AM   #10
Gunns
Banned

Check the dizzy is not 180 deg out.
Gunns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2005, 11:50 AM   #11
eav8

If you have fuel (did you use injectors already installed or re-use your old ones), Spark and crankage then most likely issue is timing or incorrect plug firing sequence...Confirm that leads are in correct order...take them off and reinstall them. while they are off inspect inside of dizzy cap for corrosion and cracks...check no rubbish in dizzy itself mucking up ignition pickup. Clean rotor button..Reassemble and reinstall leads in correct order.
Confirm that injectors are functional...possibly replace with your old ones to test..replace spark plugs regardless of condition.
If none of this works then you have possibly got deeper problems that will need to be looked at by a pro...Unless you want to break those factory seals yourself

is all basic stuff that you probably already know but hey its usually the basic stuff that gets us
eav8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2005, 02:56 PM   #12
BoZZa17
Lovin the Manual.

I HAD THIS EXACT SAME PROBLEM! (cranking.. and cranking.. then sounds like it wants to start but doesnt)

i called auto elecs and everything... when i did my engine changeover
try your fuel regulator off the good motor... when my engine was waiting to go in it sat around for a bout 3 weeks or so and the fuel regulator dried up or somethin and it caused the spark plugs to get too dernched in fuel... then about a day later my fuel pump started stuffing up....

and then i replaced that and i still had issues.. to resolve the problem i had to get new fuel regulator AND fuel pump.

this was for an eb engine. worth a shot!

- i had everyone reccomending the above to me also. (the fuel reg was the last item i checked)

and i was just thinking in my hed.. if i have fuel and spark y doesnt it go bang?

but aparantly too much fuel is too much fuel. (plugs went real black too)
BoZZa17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2005, 07:20 PM   #13
QUIKXR6
Kurucu Performance

Okay...well...i woke up early this morning had a good look at everything...i changed its sparks and found out the problem was that the dizzy was out 180 degrees...i did buy the engine from wreckers and they must have somehow turned it around...I got the engine started today...sounds pretty good... got everything working hooked up my knock sensor and BBM switch....runs real smooth now however its a stock now with headers exhaust and pod...Goes well but not as my old engine use to...maybe once the dev 5 cam goes in...thanks for all ur help guys...Cheers...

Old 26-10-2005, 12:33 AM   #14
HOLLYWOOD
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUIKXR6
Hi guys...i bought a second hand el xr6 engine..and have installed it in my ed xr6...i have wired everything up...i am running an el xr6 ecu on it... i cant seem to get the engine started after putting everything together...from what i gather...there is fuel coming into the engine...there is sparks at the end of the leads... when i crank it the engine does crank over but not start...however when i keep cranking sounds like its back firing a bit...the sparks look pretty worned out...i will be changing them tomorow to see if thats the problem...apart from that what else may be the problem with the engine...has anyone had this problem b4?
your engine timing will play a big part as to why it wont start. a comp test wont hurt though. :
HOLLYWOOD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2005, 12:35 AM   #15
HOLLYWOOD
Starter Motor

also check the colour of the spark. a yellow spark means its weak. el falcons are common for ignition systems breaking down
Old 26-10-2005, 12:41 AM   #16
HOLLYWOOD
Starter Motor

I Had A Mad Ebii Xr6, Till Some ***** In An Au Ran Up My **** @ 80kms/hr. The R/h Chassis Was Shortened By 2 Inches. I Am Building Another Eb, Will Be On The Road Soon. ONCE ON THE ROAD, IT WILL BE ON THE MARKET.