Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-05-2011, 03:01 PM   #31
fmc351
let it burn

Default Re: Dissapearing due to the Internet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
If you signed up to the Do Not Call register, then the only people who are allowed to call you are charities.
We've been signed up to it for a year or two, we still get calls from OS. It is only effective against Aussie telemarketers, and OS ones who observe our rules. But the OS ones arent subject to our jurisdiction and dont have to comply, our authorities cant get at them if they did have to comply anyway.

I know there was talk of making the business that outsourced to OS telemarketers responsible for the actions of the OS telemarketer in regard to the DNCR, but AFAIK, nothing was ever done to make it so.

It lessens the calls, but it doesnt fix the problem properly. Sadly.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2011, 03:06 PM   #32
fmc351
let it burn

nvm....
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2011, 12:25 AM   #33
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

i heard on the news a couple of weeks ago that one of the big book store chains ( dymics or angus & robinsons ??) was closing some stores and was in danger of folding completly because of the downturn in book sales since the internet became popular.

i sometimes wonder if a lot of our current history details will be lost because everything is done online/ electronic media and there will be no hard copys to be found and read in 50 or 100 years time to reseach from. the way electronics go out of date so fast nobody will be using CDs or even memory sticks in 10 years time. the info might be still there on our current storage devises but will anyone be able to access it.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2011, 12:46 AM   #34
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid
i heard on the news a couple of weeks ago that one of the big book store chains ( dymics or angus & robinsons ??) was closing some stores and was in danger of folding completly because of the downturn in book sales since the internet became popular.
Could be Borders. Have seen a couple of them closing in two Shopping Centres I visit.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2011, 06:12 PM   #35
z80
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
If you signed up to the Do Not Call register, then the only people who are allowed to call you are charities.

Not always....a lot of charities use call centres that ask you to buy overpriced chinese pens and other trinkets on the basis that the profits go to charity.

so you get to buy a 30 dollar pen that comes from china for 45 cents, the call center gets 10 bucks and the charity 20 bucks.

and they keep calling.....
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2011, 07:03 PM   #36
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
Not always....a lot of charities use call centres that ask you to buy overpriced chinese pens and other trinkets on the basis that the profits go to charity.

so you get to buy a 30 dollar pen that comes from china for 45 cents, the call center gets 10 bucks and the charity 20 bucks.

and they keep calling.....

They're calling on behalf of the charity so they're allowed.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #37
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Could be Borders. Have seen a couple of them closing in two Shopping Centres I visit.
Was at Westfields Kotara the other day and saw they'd closed.

Dymocks probably does a lot of sales online now (i've bought ebooks from them), which must hurt their stores (are they franchises?).
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post