Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #1
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Info on hiring from WICKED VAN HIRE

My son and some mates want to hire a couple of Wicked vans from Perth to go to Sydney. You know the ones, with mad paint jobs and slogans written all over them.

Anyway they're all under 21 so cant get one with air con and have to go the older models. I've read all their policy and insurance details.

I saw on ACA about 9 months ago that they reckoned they were all unroadworthy.

Their Sunshine Coast depot got raided and had their vans inspected but could only find a couple with minor defects.
As the manager said, "We have hundreds of budget vans for hire, some are a bit old and they might have a few minor faults but overall they are mechanically sound", or words to that effect.

Just wondering if anyone has hired them and had any bad experiences, what should I be wary of. I know to thoroughly inspect the van prior to take ownership so they cant say at drop off, " Hey that headlight wasn't busted before" and they hold your deposit.

Cheers.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:39 PM   #2
shedcoupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Info on hiring from WICKED VAN HIRE

Presumably it will be a summer trip, thus the mention of aircon. Sitting on top of a hot engine can be a trial.

Dunno anything about them myself, but I guess that there's a heap of backpacker-chat sites/forums you could go to for this info.
There's the option of 'buy in Perth, sell over east' but as cars are a bit cheaper in Sydney that might not be so good.
What about 'fly to Cairns / Darwin and then head to Sydney' ?. I've heard that travellers buy vans in Sydney / Melbourne and travel to CNS / DRW and then have to sell cheap as there's not so many buyers, and they have a plane to catch.
shedcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

If they're going one way and are flexible on when they go then they could try to get a much nicer van from http://www.standbyrelocations.com/

Right now there are a couple of 2 bay campers, Perth to Sydney for $1 a day with $200 of fuel included.

Being under 21 may work against them but there's some good bargains to be had there if they're flexible.
Old 08-05-2011, 02:36 PM   #4
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't.
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
My son and some mates want to hire a couple of Wicked vans from Perth to go to Sydney. You know the ones, with mad paint jobs and slogans written all over them.

Anyway they're all under 21 so cant get one with air con and have to go the older models. I've read all their policy and insurance details.

I saw on ACA about 9 months ago that they reckoned they were all unroadworthy.

Their Sunshine Coast depot got raided and had their vans inspected but could only find a couple with minor defects.
As the manager said, "We have hundreds of budget vans for hire, some are a bit old and they might have a few minor faults but overall they are mechanically sound", or words to that effect.
Firstly if it's on ACA don't believe a word of it. ACA's editors could make a Politician look competent

I've never actually hired one, but I do a LOT of km's on the highway and see them all over the place...... but I have never seen one broken down!

I also didn't realise that age was a requirement to hire a car with an Air-Con
Old 08-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I hired one in Melbourne. Was fine. We took it right down the Great Ocean Road and then up to Mt Buller. The unroadworthy thing is rubbish. Yeah they probably technically are if you look over the whole thing but you'd probably be able to find something wrong with over half of the cars on the road. A simple brake light globe out would deem it unroadworthy.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
Dustin_80

I work a job in which I hear a lot of insider conversations from just about every walk of life. I came into contact with these 'Wicked' people once and found out a little secret about them.
Dustin_80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin_80
I work a job in which I hear a lot of insider conversations from just about every walk of life. I came into contact with these 'Wicked' people once and found out a little secret about them.
And?????? You mean to tell us that they are cheap because the inner panels are full of drugs, and the Perth to Sydney backpacker market is how they transport them?
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #9
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
My wife also has an 'insider' job like this.

She owns a Hairdressing shop/salon (or whatever today's trendy name is )
Old 08-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Oh come onnnnnn spill ya beans ;)

An OS friend did an extended road trip holiday here a few years ago and hired an old Falcon wagon (EA or EB) from a mob similar to this. When I met up with her in Sydney I thought to myself how 'ordinary' the condition was.

But it served it's purpose till they took it back to drop off. The car had several faults (poor brakes, poor tyres, intermitent Air-Con, the odd scrape and dent). And the receiving depot tried to put all that as being done while in the care of my friend. She had hired it for some 2 months.

Anyway, after some heated arguments it was resolved finally with no money handed over for the faults.

So if you are getting a van, get it early, go over it with a fine tooth comb and correctly document every scratch / blemish and fault you can find. And keep a copy of the paperwork with you for reference when you hand it back.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #11
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
So if you are getting a van, get it early, go over it with a fine tooth comb and correctly document every scratch / blemish and fault you can find. And keep a copy of the paperwork with you for reference when you hand it back.
This, along with before and after hire photo's.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:50 PM   #12
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Well, The only dealing I have ever had with Wicked is trying to recover from them when thier driver is at fault in an accident. Despite the fact that you cannot hire a vehicle from them without paying insurance....which means their vehicles would be covered. However they never pay out the claims others make. Several times we have had to sue the driver because Wicked campers have refused to pay. They have absoultley zero buisness ethics or morals. Be warned. I would estimate wicked campers owe the insurance company I work for over $100,000.00 alone.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #13
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
Well, The only dealing I have ever had with Wicked is trying to recover from them when thier driver is at fault in an accident. Despite the fact that you cannot hire a vehicle from them without paying insurance....which means their vehicles would be covered. However they never pay out the claims others make. Several times we have had to sue the driver because Wicked campers have refused to pay. They have absoultley zero buisness ethics or morals. Be warned. I would estimate wicked campers owe the insurance company I work for over $100,000.00 alone.
They want a 3 grand deposit for under 21's. The vans probably not worth much more than that.

The reason they cant hire one with A/C is because they are newer models and I guess they dont wont young people trashing them.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #14
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
They want a 3 grand deposit for under 21's. The vans probably not worth much more than that.

The reason they cant hire one with A/C is because they are newer models and I guess they dont wont young people trashing them.
I find that amusing as you would think that that is obviously their target market.
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
FTE72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #15
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love their paintwork!!!! WICKED sense of humour!!!!!
Old 09-05-2011, 03:45 PM   #16
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't be seen dead in one. 99% of them have terrible paint jobs and most look unroadworth from a distance.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2011, 04:52 PM   #17
MAD
Petro-sexual

I've heard you get a discount, or some period of time free, if you turn up naked to hire one.
Old 13-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #18
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

When i first came to Australia as a backpacker we hired one for 2 weeks from Sydney to Brisbane via Dubbo etc. The van seemed to Ok had a few troubles starting it on cold mornings and second was a ***** to find.

There was a report about the unroadworthyness in the papers. 90 odd percent of the raided depots had faults that made them unroadworthy but I would say 90% of all cars out there are unroadworthy. Things like a cracked headlight, saggy headlining, bald spare would all make the vehicles fail.

As for the company and the van, it was fun and we got out there and saw a lot. They are equipped for their purpose although will only sleep 2 although its not exactly comfortable.
The company is dodgy as in my opinion and did require deposits and everything and will try to pin things on you as a hirer. Check the van over thoroughly as you would any other vehicle before you drive it away. You can get cheap rates if you happen to be going where they want a van relocating but you dont get time to do anything on the way usually.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #19
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok thanks all for the replies.
The 3 grand deposit has scared them off so they are just going to travel within WA now instead.
Old 16-05-2011, 09:44 PM   #20
NudgE^SIKBRO
Never late with a V8

Buy a hiace for 2k, Roady it, say $500 and flog it off once the trip is done, guy at works son has just picked up a Pajero for $500, cost him 8-900 for the Roady and they will easilly make there money back once they have finished the trip

(Daily)2004 Explorer V8 Limited
(Work) 2014 Kenworth K200 Aerodyne
(Classic) 1969 Mini K, 1340, twin SU's
The beginning is near!!!

Body by Ford. Soul by NudgE
NudgE^SIKBRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post