Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-04-2011, 07:39 AM   #1
GTP 044
Formally RED XR8

Default A question about CAR BRAS

Hi Everyone,

I am heading off to the GT Nationals shortly and I have brought a CARBRA to use for the trip. I am intending to drive from Melbourne to Bathurst on the first day and then up to QLD on the second day. What I am wondering is if I strike rain on the way up to Bathurst and the CARBRA gets wet, can it cause damage to the paint?? I intend on taking it off overnight, but if it doesn't dry out overnight and is reinstalled damp, will it harm the paint on day 2 of driving???

Thanks in advance,

Greg.

The only FPV ever built in CONGO GREEN

SOLD

CURRENT 2012 Manual, leather, sat nav GT 335 in SWIFT GREEN

1 of only 6 manual Swift Green GT’s and 1 of only 21 Swift Green GT’s in total
GTP 044 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2011, 08:57 AM   #2
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 
Default Re: A question about CARBRAS

Dave may correct me if I am wrong

But I would have thought that the bonnet would require a quick buff may be necessary as it would surely leave marks on the paint

Nothing that couldnt be fixed of course - but would be visible on a car with paint correction
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2011, 09:22 AM   #3
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Make sure the number plate is visible!
Work mate got done cause her car bra was over the front number plate while driving from WA to QLD !!

The car bra shouldnt move, so it doesnt rub, it may leave a mark on the edges due to rain, dust etc....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2011, 11:17 AM   #4
GTP 044
Formally RED XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Dave may correct me if I am wrong

But I would have thought that the bonnet would require a quick buff may be necessary as it would surely leave marks on the paint

Nothing that couldnt be fixed of course - but would be visible on a car with paint correction
Hi George,
Dave is aware that I will be using the Bra and he is going to do extra coats of sealant/wax on the front and he says that I shouldn't have any issues. I will check with him when I pick her up however. He is putting together a "mini detail kit" for me so I can touch up any areas which require it when I get up there.

Cheers,
Greg.

The only FPV ever built in CONGO GREEN

SOLD

CURRENT 2012 Manual, leather, sat nav GT 335 in SWIFT GREEN

1 of only 6 manual Swift Green GT’s and 1 of only 21 Swift Green GT’s in total
GTP 044 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
Big Bird 17

I always use the carbra when i do country trips and i leave it on
overnight when it is wet and it's never done any damage to the paint although i do have paint protection.The only damage it will do is on the guards where it hooks on,there will be some rubbing marks as the bra will move a bit with the buffeting from wind but it is easily fixed with a buff up with some polish.If you don't have any headlight protectors than you should get some as the clear plastic will stick to the glass and scratch them.These are the only negatives a can find after using a carbra but on the positive side it saves a lot of cleaning time with bugs and stops the stone chips.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: A question about CAR BRAS

I have used CarBra's on my BF F6 and FG F6 and never had any paint problems of any description including the guard lip.

My BF was only a month old and due to a family matter I had to drive from the Gold Coast to Bellingen NSW (400kms) in shocking conditions as it was heavy rain for the entire trip. After I got there I removed the bra and there was a thin build up of black road grime around the edges. I sprayed the grime off with a hose and put the bra back on for the return journey.

My BF had no marks whatsoever on the paint. The CarBra is a tight fit and so there is no movement to cause scuffing. But make sure after each trip that you clean the underside very carefully with a soft brush and warm soapy water to remove any dust or foreign matter.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post