Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-03-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
Pavey

Default AUII manual converted won't cold start

Converted my AUII to manual a few months ago now and ever since it has never started on cold start without given it some throttle. I swear a saw a thread a while go which had the same issue but now can't find it, so I'm not sure if this is a common issue on converted AUs or whether it's coincidental that it started after it was converted. Anyone had this happen?

Oh also, in the conversion the computer was replaced with a manual xr6 vct one, my falcon being a standard 4l. So whether it's trying to detect vct or not that might be the issue.

Pavey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #2
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: AUII manual converted won't cold start

the ECU is your issue not only it the VCT an issue but it expects to have an XR fuel reg. You either need a standard ECU or an XR HP ECU AND XR fuel rail and reg ( you can't put an XR reg into a standard rail )

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
Pavey

Ok cool thanks for that. As I said, I've been running the t5 and ecu for a few months now, is this destructive at all? Or is it something I can replace when I come across a replacement reg and ecu?

Cheers
Pavey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no not destructive just inconvenient

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 25-03-2011, 10:37 PM   #5
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes like au3xr6 said you need the reg at least. The xr6 reg is 3.5 bar and the forte is 2.7 bar.

Since fitting the XR reg mine has improved heaps with starting in all temps.

The VCT ecu is also trying to change the cam timing but nothing will be happening so i think it will be lean on cold starting like mine was and rich when it expects the cam timing to change.

Find either a forte manual ecu, XR6 HP ecu with reg and cam or get your factory auto ecu reflashed to a manual program.

FTG salvage should have a forte or HP gear.
Beer Baron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #6
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It would actually be cheaper to find and fit a VCT motor than getting the ecu reflashed.

Ford must do a parameter reset on the ecu too otherwise she wont crank and you will have the smartshield hand on all time with IGN on.
Beer Baron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2011, 11:55 PM   #7
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

any mechanic with a scantool can do the parameter reset
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Baron
Ford must do a parameter reset on the ecu too otherwise she wont crank and you will have the smartshield hand on all time with IGN on.

Rides: