Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
LXL15

Default Lifter Replacement Cost

Hi everyone,

I've searched the forums for an answer to this question, but couldn't find one.

My AuII Fairmont's engine has been ticking for a while now, so I finally took it to the mechanic who said it was the lifters. He recommended replacing them, and quoted me $600 for the parts with install. Despite me topping up the oil about 2 weeks ago, he said he had to put 3L in. It now only ticks on startup for a few seconds, instead of all the time.

My questions are:

Does this price seem reasonable? I couldn't find pricing anywhere, apart from do it yourself jobs, which, after reading that it you often need a new cam, have scared me off seeing as I have no experience taking apart engines. Or putting them back together.

Should I try some of the "stuck lifter" fluid mechanic stuff first? Or is there another, cheaper method that is worth me trying first just in case?

Sorry if this is an extremely repetitive post, I just couldn't find anything about the cost of having someone replace them, even after searching the forums.

Cheers guys.

PS the engine has done about 260,000km

LXL15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 10:09 PM   #2
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Lifter Replacement Cost

every one seems to put the wrong oil in AUs the book says 5W30 I put that in mine and no more ticking

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXL15
PS the engine has done about 260,000km
A alot lower klm motor (even XR) wouldn't come to $600

Labour to fit would pull it up @ less than 1k for a freshen up

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 10:15 PM   #4
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

do nothing. you could have noisy lifters for the next 200,000klms with 0 problems
Old 22-03-2011, 10:21 PM   #5
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
do nothing. you could have noisy lifters for the next 200,000klms with 0 problems
Exactly. What oil do you run and can you make a video of the noise ?
Old 22-03-2011, 10:23 PM   #6
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Run straight ATF (about 5 bux a litre) in it at idle for 30mins to an hour, drain and change the filter, fill with decent mineral oil then see how she goes.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #7
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
every one seems to put the wrong oil in AUs the book says 5W30 I put that in mine and no more ticking
At what service intervals do you change your oil? How many kays has your AU done? Also, what's your oil consumption like?

BTW, these are all genuine questions, I'm not having a dig in any way, just curious. Many who use the 5W/30 find that a little too thin and that it burns off a bit after 10,000 kays.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 10:45 PM   #8
LXL15

Thanks for all the quick replies.

I'm not sure what oil the mechanic used today, but I put Caltex 10W-30 in it, which I got straight out of the workshop manual. I just tried taking a video of the noise, but it didn't tick, plus the noise of the video came out as just static.

But now I've noticed that it sounds like there's something rattling around under the rocker cover, which only just started today. Any ideas on this new development?
Old 22-03-2011, 10:52 PM   #9
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXL15
Any ideas on this new development?
timing chain or guides

Old 22-03-2011, 11:03 PM   #10
LXL15

Is the timing chain or guides an easy fix? Or can it get difficult? Does it matter, apart from the noise?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm still learning haha.
Old 22-03-2011, 11:08 PM   #11
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

as I said @ 260k :- lifter noise, start up rattles and knowing that it would be leaking like a sieve from the rear main and sump gasket.... = 2nd hand low klm motor

As Mr. Hardware said, they will battle on for 1 million klms if you so choose... but if the lifter noise was enough for you to look into fixing it @ a mechanic it must bother you to a certain degree...

These engines are a dime a dozen @ wreckers and worth nothing in comparision to tearing one down and reco'ing it

Old 22-03-2011, 11:20 PM   #12
LXL15

Yeah I was definitely thinking about just buying a motor and putting that in. There are some very low km ones I've seen around. There was a VCT one with 110,000km on ebay for $350 the other day. Would I also need an ECU to go with this kind of engine? And would it just plug in like other AU engines?

The only problem is I probably can't afford a new engine right now haha. It does definitely seem like the better option if it's going to cost me more than half that amount to get one (well 12...) part of my current one fixed!
Old 22-03-2011, 11:22 PM   #13
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

skip the VCT.. the wiring will blow the budget for sfa gains....

ring around and try and find a XR6HP motor or just a stocker with low klms

try FTG on the forums they would have a plethora to pick from

Old 22-03-2011, 11:25 PM   #14
LXL15

Thanks mate, I'll look into it with FTG and some other places. Sounds like this could be fun...
Old 22-03-2011, 11:28 PM   #15
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

My motor has HLA tick, timing chain noises, noisy drive belt pulleys and some other weird noises. They were here:
and they are also still here now: and they still will be when I hit the million.
Seriously, the only thing you will solve by handing over $600 is making your wallet lighter.
Old 22-03-2011, 11:53 PM   #16
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

A little bit of ticking might not be bad, but when a lifter is loud, it is collapsed and holding no pressure (probably cos a bit of crap is stuck in the lifter valve and holding it open). So that means either an inlet valve is not opening properly (not too serious, but losing a bit of power) or an exhaust valve is not opening properly, which would cause is it to burn out after a while, which is not good. Am I right?
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 11:59 PM   #17
LXL15

This is what I was worried about before I went to the mechanics. That they would convince me I needed something expensive or my engine would explode...at least I won't fork out the 600 now. Cheers guys, saved me a heap
Old 23-03-2011, 12:09 AM   #18
Mr Hardware

Falcon I6's don't explode. Simple as that.
Old 23-03-2011, 03:13 AM   #19
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I generally only leave the oil in 7 to 8K and use about 1/2 litre so not excessive done just over 90K but I used to have lifter noise till I started using 5W30 now no noise
Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
At what service intervals do you change your oil? How many kays has your AU done? Also, what's your oil consumption like?

BTW, these are all genuine questions, I'm not having a dig in any way, just curious. Many who use the 5W/30 find that a little too thin and that it burns off a bit after 10,000 kays.

GK

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: