Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-03-2011, 05:05 PM   #1
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Potential silver lining

The earthquakes in ChCh and Japan have been horrific and shown just how fragile the planet is in some places.
The Japanese car manufacturing industry has taken a bit of a hit and potentially many other places could suffer a similar fate.

But not here.

We are in the middle of a tectonic plate and apart from a few small abberations (Newcastle for example) are one of the most stable places on earth.

So why not move manufacturing here?

Well apart from labour and union issues, government bureaucracy and a general laziness and weekend mentality it should be able to work.

But it would have to be competitive.

Lots of robots and high technology.
No assistant forklift drivers on $100,000 per year 9 day fortnight 6 weeks holidays triple time on weekends.

Would it be possible to produce a world class car that would sell at a world class price and be exported in Australia?

Or would there be too much "you would destroy our local industry" (even though it would be local) "you would put people out of jobs" (even though it would employ people that actually want to work).......

flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 05:14 PM   #2
FPVF6X201
Formerly FPVwannabe

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Slotted front rotors for the TTG write-up and pics. 
Default Re: Potential silver lining

Your assumption/theory is based on the premise that aussies would want to work. Perhaps you could build the plant in Nimbin NSW? Plenty of people available to work there lol.
FPVF6X201 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #3
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It would take too much REAL effort to get this going. I'd imagine the government would put the country deep in the black paying for all the study groups needed to figure out how many robots we'd actually need.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #4
Buntz
Straight Eight

You never know. Someone might consider it worthwhile. But Japanese Yen is still worth oh so little compared to the dollar. Even if they price things differently. This has kept the majority of Japanese cars built there, lots of Japanese people employed, and vast profits for the manufacturer's. One of which owns their own city.
Old 21-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Thank you for the POSITIVE spin ...
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
Barry_v
rocknrolla

flappist's threads read like AM radio talkback.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 06:13 PM   #7
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Too many people I read posts from various car sites would complain that "the products wouldn't have the same technology and standard options on Australian built cars, and build quality would be rubbish compared to overseas offerings".

I for one could see it being beneficial, but highly unlikely.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #8
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

it would be an option....however after 12 months of overpaid Aussies running the tools, boatloads of Japanese workers would be hired @ a pitance and push the aust guys out of a job.....

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You think Japan is going to give up their jobs so easily? Toyota was planning to move manufacturing of the Corolla to Thailand, and the Unions over there chucked a big fit.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #10
Kryton

didnt work in the past - wont work in the future.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #11
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Japan was (at one time) a country of relatively low cost labour but that is certainly not the case now. The Japanese auto worker currently receives a base rate of around $26 per hour plus around $11 an hour in health benefits - which in real terms places them above ours even after factoring the lower number of paid non productive time.

It is probably the Korean industry that we would have to compete against - for a start they work 2,390 hours a year compared to about 1,840 in this country and with an hourly rate somewhere around $9 an hour we aren't in the same league!

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #12
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
Japan was (at one time) a country of relatively low cost labour but that is certainly not the case now. The Japanese auto worker currently receives a base rate of around $26 per hour plus around $11 an hour in health benefits - which in real terms places them above ours even after factoring the lower number of paid non productive time.

It is probably the Korean industry that we would have to compete against - for a start they work 2,390 hours a year compared to about 1,840 in this country and with an hourly rate somewhere around $9 an hour we aren't in the same league!

Cheers
Russ
Fudge! Maybe more Japanese manufacturing could come over here then. They already own most of Australia don't they?
Old 21-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #13
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
Thought a lot of their auto industry went on as contract workers. I remember alot of workers getting laid off during the GFC with no entitlements. Toyota was the biggest manufacturer to do this.
Old 21-03-2011, 07:43 PM   #14
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
No assistant forklift drivers on $100,000 per year 9 day fortnight 6 weeks holidays triple time on weekends.
Why not? The CEO's seem to do very well for themselves whilst sitting on their ever enlargening cakeholes...........

Ed
Old 21-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #15
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD 351 Ute
Why not? The CEO's seem to do very well for themselves whilst sitting on their ever enlargening cakeholes...........

Ed
Yep none of them too.

But if this works I wonder if we find a place to stick all the boat people who want to work for $9 per hour. Not it the car industry though, far too complex work, maybe just digging holes in the ground somewhere.

Now where are there a lot of grossly overpaid people just digging holes in the ground........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 09:00 PM   #16
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Cool Re: Potential silver lining

Quote:
Now where are there a lot of grossly overpaid people just digging holes in the ground........
Ooh ooh i know pick me , pick me .........
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #17
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:

Someones got the fishing rod out tonight!
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #18
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
IT????
Old 21-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #19
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
IT????
Nah... it can't be. I'm in I.T. I usually spend my time digging people out of holes.
Old 21-03-2011, 10:18 PM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its funny that some have an overwhelming vision that the majority of Aussies are bludgers, did`nt i read somewhere that we work more hours in this country(probably because its so hard to save a quid) than many of the other country`s, most of my friends work 50 hours a week, i`ve worked plenty of jobs where 50/60 or more hours a week was the norm, i don`t think the problem in Australia is that we are bludgers at all.
the problem is we have way too many benefits, now and again we hear a couple of words come out of the mouths of fat cat politicians "USER PAYS" but that seems to be very rare!, ...................................... lets look back 30 or 40 years, we owned uilities, they rarely made money but worked to a standard and we had a thing called service........oh well , moveing on, once upon a time you didn`t get a $3000 or $5000 dollar pay check for for a 16/17 year old pumping out baby`s like cans in a coke machine , paid maternity leave , i hate to be mean but thats just an example, the never ending dole, compulsory super paid by business , all of these things cause higher taxes and make the cost of living and doing business in Australia painfull, add to that over regulation in some area`s , i can remember a young bloke that was working his way around the world said to me he liked Australia but compared to many other countries its so hard to make/save money here and that he was leaveing, this is our problem imo, add some greenies into the mix that would`nt let us build a freeway on some swamp land because of a lone solitary frog .
i think we already have world class cars, that are better in some area`s , but just not as well appointed as some, can we catch up in this enviroment........... hard to say.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2011, 10:23 PM   #21
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Yep none of them too.

But if this works I wonder if we find a place to stick all the boat people who want to work for $9 per hour. Not it the car industry though, far too complex work, maybe just digging holes in the ground somewhere.

Lol, I was just having a bit of a stir.
I do agree though that Australia must get back on it's manufacturing feet.
How we compete with the companies overseas with less overheads I don't know.
Yes we probably could take a bit out of our wages to partially compensate, but I don't know if that would be enough.

The company I work for, is based in Switzerland, but we make "Aussie" cement...........

So if the shareholders aren't happy, (and believe me they're making a killing..) we then get shut down because it will be too expensive to make it here.

Ed
Old 22-03-2011, 11:11 AM   #22
Bossxr8
Peter Car

We don't need manufacturing, we have minerals in the ground we send overseas cheap and have it returned to us as high cost products. Duh.

At least that what the government thinks, seem to be doing everything to make sure we have no manufacturing in this country. Libs are even worse in this regard.

Every week we seem to see more and more companies sending jobs overseas.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #23
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
We don't need manufacturing, we have minerals in the ground we send overseas cheap and have it returned to us as high cost products. Duh.

At least that what the government thinks, seem to be doing everything to make sure we have no manufacturing in this country. Libs are even worse in this regard.

Every week we seem to see more and more companies sending jobs overseas.
We can't keep propping up our Automotive industry. We need something that will be worth propping up in the future. As the current seam of things has almost come unravelled
Old 22-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #24
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Every other country does the same thing for their local industries, they provide lots of high paying jobs and pay plenty of tax as well as providing business to hundreds of other local industries, suppliers and contractors.

The automotive manufacturing industry is the second highest export earner for australia behind mining.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #25
dogfish

Why do you all seem to think that tradies and labourers are grossly overpaid.
We just want to be able to buy a house in an average suburb in an average street drive an average car and enjoy our average life.
I earn a pittance compared to an accountant at tax time who takes what a max of 15 mins to sort out my simple tax return and stings me over $100.00 for it or a lawyer who wants to charge $150.00 + for a phone call. Blame the people who think buying and selling realestate properties and driving prices up is a great idea, Blame the people who only shop at Wooworths or Coles and cause a Monopoly on the Food market and pay our farmers sweet F.A.
I work bloody hard for my dollars as a Fitter/Machinist and this sort of talk really ****** me off. Our over paid workers HAHAHA what a Joke it's the FAT CATS up top who feather their own nests first that cause all the problems anyway. My skills/Qualification in My Trade are Just as important as the Tax accountant or the Lawyer who is saving your ***. No nobody made me do a trade it was my choice but where would this country be if all of us went to UNI got a Degree in whatever and Procrastinated and sat around thinking Grand self important ideas. So whilst we are all over qualified undergraduates looking for our ideal job whose delivering the fuel fixing the equipment unblocking your dunny. Hence we are on a fair pay scale to what everybody else is on in this country.

THE TOY:2003 CV8R Monaro 6Spd Manual.
dogfish is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #26
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
We can't keep propping up our Automotive industry. We need something that will be worth propping up in the future. As the current seam of things has almost come unravelled
they would`nt need propping up if it was less costly to do business here.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 09:52 PM   #27
JG34JA

Quote:

So why not move manufacturing here?

Well apart from labour and union issues, government bureaucracy and a general laziness and weekend mentality it should be able to work.

But it would have to be competitive.

Lots of robots and high technology.
No assistant forklift drivers on $100,000 per year 9 day fortnight 6 weeks holidays triple time on weekends....

The solution can be found in an old Goodies episode. Tim, Bill and Graham tie Britain to their row boat and attempt to tow the UK outside its own 5 mile limit, so they can operate their pirate radio station free of taxes/regulations!
If we get the Navy to tow Australia about 5000km west into the Indian ocean, we can operate all businesses free of our current restrictions!

+1 for the robots.
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post