Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-01-2010, 01:32 AM   #1
EgoFalcon
The Villan

Default XR6 to XR8 Conversion Possible?

I was wondering, since I am only allowed 6's (p plate restrictions), buy an AU xr6 (manual) and once I reach full license status, put 5.0L 220kw Windsor in.

Things I am sure I will need is
- XR8 exhaust
- XR8 ecu
- Of coarse the engine
- Engine mount/bracket? (not entirely sure)

Talking some people and they suggested a different driveshaft is needed, possible diff change and a gearbox recalibration.

The PX Ranger has arrived! XLT Metropolitean Grey

Previous Ride - 2007 BF MK II XR6 in Lightning Strike
EgoFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 01:46 AM   #2
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Id just save the pennys and buy a xr8 when ya off ya plates, unless you keep the 6 and turbo or super charge it,

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 02:06 AM   #3
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

Mate anything and everything is possible.

Some things just aren't worth the trouble/money. May get hairy trying to get it roadworthy/insured too.

Just sell and get an XR8. Course this wouldn't be an issue in Tasmania, just get the XR8 to whilst on your P's :

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
ThePistonHead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 03:21 AM   #4
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends if you want to do it legit or not. I am planning to put a v8 into my wagon and have been looking into it. I'm not too sure about NSW but in VIC I will have to get it engineered. Some of the things they will require me to change are brakes (v8 equivilent or better), same for the suspension and then there i beleive the input shaft on the 6cyl is smaller than the v8 gearboxes. (Someone correct me if i'm wrong) The list goes on and on. I would definately suggest you save and buy a V8 falcon to avoud all of these problems. I would buy a V8 wagon if only there was more that a handful of them, rather than trying to get it registered after converting it.

That is my 2 bobs worth, hope this helps to shed some light on it.

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

correct on the shaft.
Old 22-01-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

What I can think of that you'll need are;

Engine (obviously)
Gearbox - different input shafts
Driveshaft - from memory they are different
ECU can be retained and reflashed
Front springs I'm pretty sure are different
Exhaust - extractors to tips
Steering - pretty sure the racks are different as is the intermediate shaft
Electrical - looms are different
Cooling - radiators are different

I'm sure there's a few other issues you'll run into too, such as vacuum lines and heating/cooling control. Also the engineering of it will cost and the K frame's are likely to be different.

It'd be a lot cheaper and easier to sell the XR6 and go to an XR8. With the money saved you could spend a bit on making it a bit quicker too.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsau
Depends if you want to do it legit or not. I am planning to put a v8 into my wagon and have been looking into it. I'm not too sure about NSW but in VIC I will have to get it engineered. Some of the things they will require me to change are brakes (v8 equivilent or better), same for the suspension and then there i beleive the input shaft on the 6cyl is smaller than the v8 gearboxes. (Someone correct me if i'm wrong) The list goes on and on. I would definately suggest you save and buy a V8 falcon to avoud all of these problems. I would buy a V8 wagon if only there was more that a handful of them, rather than trying to get it registered after converting it.

That is my 2 bobs worth, hope this helps to shed some light on it.
I saw a AU2 V8 Wagon on carsales I think it was a few months ago. _2:

Had a quick look then though and couldn't seem to find it. Was asking too much though around 11k I think.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
gtfpv
GT

yes mate this is very very possible . you can do it all over the phone and on the net if you like . all you have to do is convert the $$$. its called sell and buy.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 11:41 AM   #9
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I saw a AU2 V8 Wagon on carsales I think it was a few months ago.

Had a quick look then though and couldn't seem to find it. Was asking too much though around 11k I think.
Yes there was but for the kilometers they wanted too much. Pretty sure it was more than 11k too.

Quote:
Engine (obviously)
Gearbox - different input shafts
Driveshaft - from memory they are different
ECU can be retained and reflashed
Front springs I'm pretty sure are different
Exhaust - extractors to tips
Steering - pretty sure the racks are different as is the intermediate shaft
Electrical - looms are different
Cooling - radiators are different

I'm sure there's a few other issues you'll run into too, such as vacuum lines and heating/cooling control. Also the engineering of it will cost and the K frame's are likely to be different.
The racks are the same accross the entire range as repco only stock one model number for all falcon AU'S 98-02.

I have wrecked a V8 and 6CLY ute and i'm 90% sure they both had the same 'k' frame.

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 11:45 AM   #10
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFalcon
I was wondering, since I am only allowed 6's (p plate restrictions), buy an AU xr6 (manual) and once I reach full license status, put 5.0L 220kw Windsor in.

Things I am sure I will need is
- XR8 exhaust
- XR8 ecu
- Of coarse the engine
- Engine mount/bracket? (not entirely sure)

Talking some people and they suggested a different driveshaft is needed, possible diff change and a gearbox recalibration.
As has been said waiting then sell/buy your way into an XR8 is the way to go. Simplicity of legality and resalebility are the two most obvious reasons (if you put the headfu*k of conversion to one side).

The only genuine reason I can see is if you wanted to retain a Manual trans with a Live axle in an XR package... that has some appeal.

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 10:39 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

perhaps if you are going ahead with it you could buy a written off xr8 as a donor car, my young brother does this sorta stuff ALL THE TIME : , he`s always borrowing my car :(.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2010, 01:33 AM   #12
EgoFalcon
The Villan

Read all suggestions and thought stuff it, save money buy an fg xr8 when get full license. But knowing me my decision will change in an hour.

Old 20-02-2010, 05:59 AM   #13
Bam
XB,XF,ZL,EA,EL,BA,SY,SZII

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write up on Air bag installation. 

It's been more than an hour, so in case you've changed your mind, I'll add that I'm pretty sure that the diff is different too (the ratio at least).

Please don't do this! You'll be turning an XR6 into something that is neither an XR6 nor a genuine XR8. And it's a lot or work.... And it's more expensive.... As others have said.
Bam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2010, 07:03 AM   #14
The Monty
Just slidin'

Im going to go against the grain here.
Get the XR6 and keep it clean.
Save up a bit of money and when a S3 XR8 comes through the auctions written off, snap it up. I saw a nice one up here go for $2500 last time, leather and all.
You have a couple of years to strip the car, sell off bits you dont want/need, learn how it came apart and document it all, keep all nuts in snap lock bags, and label them, etc etc.
When you can, take a week off work, and do the whole lot, engine, trans, brakes, diff, tailshaft, etc. Youll learn a heap, it wont be hard to get it engineered, as you will have everything from the XR8 anyway.
The best part will be how much you will learn.
Then you can sell off the XR6 stuff, and probably make your money back on buying the XR8 donor car.
Old 20-02-2010, 07:17 AM   #15
Bam
XB,XF,ZL,EA,EL,BA,SY,SZII

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write up on Air bag installation. 

Oh, a training objective. I can see some merit in that.
Bam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #16
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
But knowing me my decision will change in an hour.
You remind me of me
Old 20-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #17
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Im going to go against the grain here.
Get the XR6 and keep it clean.
Save up a bit of money and when a S3 XR8 comes through the auctions written off, snap it up. I saw a nice one up here go for $2500 last time, leather and all.
You have a couple of years to strip the car, sell off bits you dont want/need, learn how it came apart and document it all, keep all nuts in snap lock bags, and label them, etc etc.
When you can, take a week off work, and do the whole lot, engine, trans, brakes, diff, tailshaft, etc. Youll learn a heap, it wont be hard to get it engineered, as you will have everything from the XR8 anyway.
The best part will be how much you will learn.
Then you can sell off the XR6 stuff, and probably make your money back on buying the XR8 donor car.
Wouldn't it be easier to get a repairable write off then change over whats broken with the good stuff off the XR6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
You remind me of me
and me
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2010, 06:48 AM   #18
The Monty
Just slidin'

Either way would be good, but I would rather use a good base, and add better parts, then a broken base and add decent parts if you know what I mean.
Trust me, I learnt the hard way.
Old 21-02-2010, 08:29 AM   #19
EgoFalcon
The Villan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
You remind me of me
Ford people have alot in common, not just fords?

Old 07-03-2011, 03:24 AM   #20
Bus27
Boss 27

Hey guys, I forgot how to start a new thread so I'll just post here.

Is it possible for a BA Xr6 to be converted to XR8? Your probably thinking It's a stupid Idea but I like the options that I have in my XR6 like the sunroof, Premium sound etc. So I don't really wanna get rid of the car. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance

Bus.

BF GT Front bar.
Bus27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 04:19 AM   #21
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the other things that will be an issue is no IRS and no traction control the traction controll need all the rear brake pipes from the ABS back replaced and all the wiring harnesses in the car from the dash to the fromt of the car replaced a huge job
and with the IRS I don't think you can just bolt in an IRS cradle I think the mounts are different

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2011, 05:44 AM   #22
tyler06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus27
Hey guys, I forgot how to start a new thread so I'll just post here.

Is it possible for a BA Xr6 to be converted to XR8? Your probably thinking It's a stupid Idea but I like the options that I have in my XR6 like the sunroof, Premium sound etc. So I don't really wanna get rid of the car. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance

Bus.
Buy a written off xr8, otherwise NO dont even attempt it. Too many electronics to take into consideration these days. Sell your xr6 and and buy an xr8, the money u would have spent on the conversion will make up the difference. Enjoy your xr8 lol.
tyler06 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post