Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #61
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

^^ Not sure if serious.

do you have any comprehension as to how much freight is on the move each day and how much rail services would need to expand before that was even viable.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2011, 10:47 AM   #62
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
^^ Not sure if serious.

do you have any comprehension as to how much freight is on the move each day and how much rail services would need to expand before that was even viable.
pen pusher springs to mind.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #63
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Up here on the mid north coast we have just had 30 klms of single lane road replaced with beautiful dual lanes. The latest and greatest. The previous road was windy and rough single lane posted at 100kph, for about 2 years it was reduced to 80k whilst roadworks were done. Imagine my disbelief when they opened this beautiful section of road at only 100kph. UNBELIEVABLE.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #64
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
Up here on the mid north coast we have just had 30 klms of single lane road replaced with beautiful dual lanes. The latest and greatest. The previous road was windy and rough single lane posted at 100kph, for about 2 years it was reduced to 80k whilst roadworks were done. Imagine my disbelief when they opened this beautiful section of road at only 100kph. UNBELIEVABLE.
That sort of stuff should be 130kmh. It is designed for that.

Forum member Keepleft, has previously said in other threads about how our standards are moving in step or towards that of Europe. The standard is for 130kmh road design.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2011, 01:04 PM   #65
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Up here on the mid north coast we have just had 30 klms of single lane road replaced with beautiful dual lanes. The latest and greatest. The previous road was windy and rough single lane posted at 100kph, for about 2 years it was reduced to 80k whilst roadworks were done. Imagine my disbelief when they opened this beautiful section of road at only 100kph. UNBELIEVABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
That sort of stuff should be 130kmh. It is designed for that.

Forum member Keepleft, has previously said in other threads about how our standards are moving in step or towards that of Europe. The standard is for 130kmh road design.

So your upset they didnt increase the posted limit to 130kmh?
There are not any roads in Australia that (NT notwithstanding) have a 130kmh limit as far as i am aware and the maximum posted limit is 110kmh.

You say your section of road is only 30km long... an increase to 130kmh will save just around 2mins of time along that little stretch. Hardly worth the effort...

Is the road situated between two towns?
What other issues are there?
When it was single lane was there traffic jams ?
What was the average speed when it was one lane? 80kmh due to traffic?
The constant whinge about increasing speed limits over short stretches is idiotic beyond belief.

The average aussie driver is not capable of driving safely in suburbia let alone at 100kmh on a highway.
And their attitude on the road leaves a lot to be desired....
Until people start driving more sanely and dont act like a pack of animals then nothing will change ever....

It takes me just 7mins to drive to work and within that time i am cutoff by cars changng lanes, almost rear ended, tailgated, have cars run red lights, cars drive through at speed at stop signs,cars pass me well inexcess of 30kmh of the posted speed limit...

This happens on a daily basis, not just once in a blue moon.
Yet everyone whinges that the speed limit needs raising???
Do you honestly believe they will change speed limits if people cant display a better attitude on the road?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2011, 01:55 PM   #66
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
^^ Not sure if serious.

There is a large and serious push to expand the rail freight network, by major and minor freight/transport companies and the federal government over the past 18 months. In saying that, it's not something that is going to happen within a couple of years, but part of a 10+ year plan to implement. And is more aimed at major ports, cities and links between.

Anyway what was this thread about?

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #67
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I never said it should be 130. But it could be 120 and it should be 110 minimum. It joins another section of dual lane that is 100 which opened a couple of years before that which then joins a section which is 110 that was opened more than 12 years ago so the newest safest greatest sections are now slower than the far older section which has more curves more intersections and less runoff etc etc etc. I guess if we complain too much they will just make the 110 section slower.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:11 PM   #68
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
...Do you honestly believe they will change speed limits if people cant display a better attitude on the road?
You make some good points, however the argument works both ways. People who drive like you describe will do so if the limit is 90 or 130. And of these people you encounter driving in this way each day, what percentage of ALL the cars you see on your daily run, do they represent?

I also see a couple of idiots a day in my travels, but as a percentage of cars I "interact with", they would represent a ridiculously small amount.

Idiots will be idiots no matter what rules or limits are in place. Instead of putting ALL road users at a disadvantage, the focus should be on dealing with these minority types of drivers, by training, fines, etc.

Of the things you mention happen to you every day (“cars changng lanes, almost rear ended, tailgated, have cars run red lights, cars drive through at speed at stop signs, cars pass me well in excess of 30kmh of the posted speed limit”) only one directly relates to speed limits and do you think those that pass you 30klms over the speed limit are going to suddenly slow down if the limit drops?

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #69
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
.So your upset they didnt increase the posted limit to 130kmh? There are not any roads in Australia that (NT notwithstanding) have a 130kmh limit as far as i am aware and the maximum posted limit is 110kmh.
Jim Goose, it was me, NOT Deesun who suggested 130kmh.

Quote:
You say your section of road is only 30km long... an increase to 130kmh will save just around 2mins of time along that little stretch. Hardly worth the effort...
Except, if there are one hundred of those 30km stretches added together... Then 2mins becomes 200mins.

Quote:
Do you honestly believe they will change speed limits if people cant display a better attitude on the road?
Perhaps not. Which is why i suggested that perhaps "A" plates or some such could be gained with advanced driver training courses etc. That could then allow the higher speeds, but your more likely to checked for bonafides etc.

Retrotech thread
Old 02-03-2011, 06:12 PM   #70
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
I never said it should be 130. But it could be 120 and it should be 110 minimum. It joins another section of dual lane that is 100 which opened a couple of years before that which then joins a section which is 110 that was opened more than 12 years ago so the newest safest greatest sections are now slower than the far older section which has more curves more intersections and less runoff etc etc etc. I guess if we complain too much they will just make the 110 section slower.
Which is why I referred to the fact that we now by-and-large build roads to international design standards.

The fact that the new section is 100kmh zoned, undermines the faith that we have in the RTA and other government bodies. What it means is that it will be an easy revenue raiser with Police patrolling this spot instead of others which could do with the policing.

Retrotech thread
Old 02-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #71
gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
Which is why I referred to the fact that we now by-and-large build roads to international design standards.

The fact that the new section is 100kmh zoned, undermines the faith that we have in the RTA and other government bodies. What it means is that it will be an easy revenue raiser with Police patrolling this spot instead of others which could do with the policing.
Without knowing the road in question there's a chance the road design is not for 130 km/hr. If there are any entrances to the highway that do not have decent length merge lanes then the limit will be 100 km/hr.

eg. if a farmer has a driveway that butts directly onto the highway with no merge lane then 100 km/hr is the max limit that road can be.

If all entrances / exits have dedicated on / off lanes then the road design will be 130 km/hr and the speed limit should be 110 km/hr.
gunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2011, 06:28 PM   #72
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter
Idiots will be idiots no matter what rules or limits are in place. Instead of putting ALL road users at a disadvantage, the focus should be on dealing with these minority types of drivers, by training, fines, etc?
Exactly. Instead we all get subjected to the Lowest Common Denominator rules and advice of keep focussed on your speedometer, keep under the speed limit, take a break every 2 hours, stay under 0.05 and you and your family and friends will never die. This national strategy with a result of 1,000 people dying annually isn't working.

What I hope comes out of this NSW election is that the new government, looks at the ridiculous number of speed changes and takes a more wholistic view. Not just how much money can we make.

I would appreciate correct and not modified figures of what caused a crash.

NSW RTA variously state a variety of numbers. But often state 1 in 3 deaths were caused by speed. But, I also read from their statistics that between drink, drugs and not wearing seat belts / helmets in those 'speed' accidents the proportion was huge. Risky behaviours, got deathly results.

Retrotech thread
Old 02-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #73
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter
You make some good points, however the argument works both ways. People who drive like you describe will do so if the limit is 90 or 130. And of these people you encounter driving in this way each day, what percentage of ALL the cars you see on your daily run, do they represent?

I also see a couple of idiots a day in my travels, but as a percentage of cars I "interact with", they would represent a ridiculously small amount.

Idiots will be idiots no matter what rules or limits are in place. Instead of putting ALL road users at a disadvantage, the focus should be on dealing with these minority types of drivers, by training, fines, etc.

Of the things you mention happen to you every day (“cars changng lanes, almost rear ended, tailgated, have cars run red lights, cars drive through at speed at stop signs, cars pass me well in excess of 30kmh of the posted speed limit”) only one directly relates to speed limits and do you think those that pass you 30klms over the speed limit are going to suddenly slow down if the limit drops?

I would honestly put the percentage at 50% of drivers...
At every intersection controlled by traffic lights on average 10 cars will drive through a red light after it has changed. I have seen this in plenty of towns along the nth qld coast.
Up the road i have a stop signed intersection. I take my dog on walks up the road to the shops. It takes me maybe 3 mins to get to that intersection.
In that time i will see 80 to 90% of cars not stop at all, and i mean they dont even slow down!
Every time road works have diverted cars down my street i see 100%!! of cars failing to stop at the stop sign as they are diverted off the main road.

One section of road i take to work is 80kmh, at least 50% of cars overtake me while i am doing 85kmh....

So yes i would say the percentage is high... and why?
Lack of Police presence!
I rarely see any police on the road in peak hour.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:04 AM   #74
FgNewbie
Australia

Quote:
*snip* At every intersection controlled by traffic lights on average 10 cars will drive through a red light after it has changed. I have seen this in plenty of towns along the nth qld coast. *snip*
If a town has an accumulated 30 red signals per hour, I read your post as saying (30 x 10) 300 cars have driven through a red signal in that hour.

I must be misreading it, please elaborate
FgNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2011, 12:48 AM   #75
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy
I see mik, is this just a revenge attack for being exposed for your ridiculous post:http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...6&postcount=36
where according to your logic bicycles should cause more damage to roads than trucks?

Now you have built yourself a strawman to attack me, I mentioned getting trucks of the hume that are just doing the melb to syd trip, nothing about running railways past every woolworths outlet.
not at all bud, your comparing a 90 kg push bike and rider to a 1.5/2 ton car or much heavier truck is way out of context, however your remark " that's why we dont have hills or bends on train lines! " i had to reply to, we`ll agree to disagree and leave it at that.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2011, 08:20 AM   #76
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FgNewbie
If a town has an accumulated 30 red signals per hour, I read your post as saying (30 x 10) 300 cars have driven through a red signal in that hour.

I must be misreading it, please elaborate
Nope... sit at any intersection with traffic lights here and watch at the very least 10cars go through on the red (talking peak hour), up to 12seconds after its gone green on the opposite side cars can still be seen driving through on a red...

Cars with green light just all sit there and allow it.... no one takes of, moves forwards, gives the finger or beeps the horn...

Old 03-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #77
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Nope... sit at any intersection with traffic lights here and watch at the very least 10cars go through on the red (talking peak hour), up to 12seconds after its gone green on the opposite side cars can still be seen driving through on a red...

Cars with green light just all sit there and allow it.... no one takes of, moves forwards, gives the finger or beeps the horn...

we all love to speak out against speed camera's but i have no issues with red light camera's. if you are stupid enough to run a red you deserve everything thats coming your way. red light fines should be harsh i reckon.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #78
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i agree with prydey, DONT' RUN THE RED!!
Old 03-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #79
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The funny thing is that a lot of these intersections have cameras set up by QLD transport for flow control (one or two have red light camera). One wonders why the footage isnt reviewed? though im guessing that it would take weeks just to view a weeks footage!