Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-10-2005, 11:11 PM   #1
Franky
Bring back the Phase

Default Apprenticeships

Hi, I've asked something about this before on here but I guess my question wasn't specfic enough.

I'm planning on moving to Melbourne next year in search of an apprenticeship in building and i'd like to know a bit about them from people who have applied on are currently doing one either in that area or any areas.

Firstly i'd like to know how easy they are to get, I wouldn't want to make the trip for nothing :dj: Secondly how avaliable are they? are there many places now who can afford to offer them?

thanks for any help

Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 11:25 PM   #2
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Building? like houses?

Probably best to start as a carpenter
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 11:43 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Not sure about Vic but where I am I know they are finding it pretty difficult to find enough people who want to get into those sorts of industries.

My only advice in the way of apprenticeships would be to expect very little in the way of pay for the first year. It gradually gets better and also depends on where you are and who you work for etc, but 1st yr app pay is nothing special at all.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:01 AM   #4
Franky
Bring back the Phase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Building? like houses?

Probably best to start as a carpenter
yeah that is the idea, do you have info about that?
Old 08-10-2005, 12:17 AM   #5
mrs xa coupe

look at this... an appretice builder position in hamilton if you are interested.

http://jobsearch.gov.au/JobDetails/J...0&SortField=0&

this might be of use to you...

http://www.otte.vic.gov.au/apprenticeships/howto.htm

there is also a job search site that may be of use, this is for melbourne but you can play with it when you are in there... there are heaps of current appreticeships available there at the moment, about 112 in the construction and carpentry field....

http://jobsearch.gov.au/jobseeker/Se...lpt45&print=0&
mrs xa coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2005, 12:30 AM   #6
Franky
Bring back the Phase

thankyou mrs xa coupe

this should give me something to read tonight
Old 08-10-2005, 12:38 AM   #7
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I am a Carpenter, i always have an apprentice, when looking for a new bloke i usually contact MEGT and they put me in touch with people on their books, a pre-apprenticeship course is a huge advantage and i look for that first, another way to find an apprenticeship is through the Group training scheme :
http://www.apprenticeships.training.wa.gov.au/gts/
Good luck.

Edit: A pre apprenticeship course at Tafe goes for 16 weeks and cuts the first 2 years of schooling from the apprenticeship, it means you get paid extra towards the end of your time.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post