Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 17-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
chinw3e
no sacrifice, no victory

Default electrical failure?

So I've run into a few issues with my little fiesta. Whilst driving down the freeway, my speedo decides to die for a good 30 seconds. It'll then spring back to the speed that I am travelling at. This happens quite often whilst on my daily travels (maybe once every 2 trips).

And just on Sunday morning my car completely died on me whilst again driving on the freeway. The engine decided it was a good time to go to sleep. I safely pulled over to the side into the emergency lane and turned off the car (all the numbers in my ODO and DTE displays had turned to dashes). Turned the ignition and it was back to normal again.

I'm going to take it into the mechanics once I get it back from my hail damage repairs. I'm guessing it's a loose fitting somewhere along the way but I wanted to see what you guys think might be the problem.

Eibach Lowering Springs, Wiecher Sports Strut Brace, K&N panel filter, fog lights, crystal black side indicators, car mats, tinted windows
chinw3e is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
Twinpiston
Finally rollin on 20's

That almost sounds like a dieing ECU!!! If it is, let me know as I have a spare (if compatible)

Cheers
K&N, F6 Snorkel, Debung, 20" Enix Turbine in Gunmetal, 7 seat rear springs.
Twinpiston is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
fiesta8u

i had the exact same problem today and i have error codes e200 and e197 but i dont know what they mean, twinpiston you have a pm , thanks.
fiesta8u is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 09:40 AM   #4
Miniac
Starter Motor

I got my Fiesta about 5 weeks ago, and I've just had a similar issue - all my guages stopped working last week. I also had no radio. The only thing working in the car was the oil and battery lights, and the indicators. The engine was running fine, and I was going down the highway at 80km at the time. Once I pulled over and turned the car off, it restarted fine.

I took it back to the dealership who found no problems, no errors, and have "never heard of any cases like this before". I assume others with these electrical issues have taken the cars back to the dealers for inspection? Were you told there are no other cases and it's just a software glitch like I was???

This was on top of the dodgy clutch release bearing that already had to be replaced after 600km, so I'm starting to really dislike driving my new car. Luckily I didn't trade in my old car so I've been able to drive that while the Fiesta has been sent back for repairs - at least the other car was reliable!

Cheers,
Miniac
Miniac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
JClarke
Deaf Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniac
I got my Fiesta about 5 weeks ago, and I've just had a similar issue - all my guages stopped working last week. I also had no radio. The only thing working in the car was the oil and battery lights, and the indicators. The engine was running fine, and I was going down the highway at 80km at the time. Once I pulled over and turned the car off, it restarted fine.

I took it back to the dealership who found no problems, no errors, and have "never heard of any cases like this before". I assume others with these electrical issues have taken the cars back to the dealers for inspection? Were you told there are no other cases and it's just a software glitch like I was???

This was on top of the dodgy clutch release bearing that already had to be replaced after 600km, so I'm starting to really dislike driving my new car. Luckily I didn't trade in my old car so I've been able to drive that while the Fiesta has been sent back for repairs - at least the other car was reliable!

Cheers,
Miniac

is your car a WS or WP model?
Old 27-10-2010, 10:45 PM   #6
Miniac
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JClarke
is your car a WS or WP model?
It's a WS model...

Cheers.
Old 28-10-2010, 01:20 AM   #7
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Never had any problems with the gauges on the WS fez... The radio does play up about once a month on average, in that when you turn the car on, the radio doesnt come on.....

All I do is turn the radio off and on again and its peaches....

I dont think anyone on the forum has ever mentioned the gauges playing up...

If you find out what it is, let us know...

Also go through the forum to Tennille's situation with her car... The poor thing had half an engine rebuild after like 250kms....
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #8
JClarke
Deaf Driver

my guages are fine, must be one of the lemon cars, ha ha ha

no offense, dude.
Old 28-10-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
crispymk2

Dodgy earths or loose battery terminals can cause lots of strange lectrical faults. I'd be starting there and working from that.

I also have the stereo problem where the radio just wont power up when starting the car. Re-starting always fixes though and I also had a problem when switching from AUX to radio it would sometimes go to a different station to the one I was listening previously but that is now fixed after a service last month. They must have updated something?
Old 29-10-2010, 09:56 AM   #10
Miniac
Starter Motor

Oh cool- I thought the radio was changing stations when I changed input, but I thought I was just forgetting what I had it on! I'll mention it when I get my first service done and see if they can update something.

I also had a day where my drivers side window wouldn't auto-up, and my hubby thought I was being crazy because it never did that in the first place, but then it started working again...

The service manager suggested to me that maybe my car was just doomed...

Thanks for your help!
Old 29-10-2010, 01:47 PM   #11
Als_Zetec
Rated G

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinw3e
So I've run into a few issues with my little fiesta. Whilst driving down the freeway, my speedo decides to die for a good 30 seconds. It'll then spring back to the speed that I am travelling at. This happens quite often whilst on my daily travels (maybe once every 2 trips).

And just on Sunday morning my car completely died on me whilst again driving on the freeway. The engine decided it was a good time to go to sleep. I safely pulled over to the side into the emergency lane and turned off the car (all the numbers in my ODO and DTE displays had turned to dashes). Turned the ignition and it was back to normal again.

I'm going to take it into the mechanics once I get it back from my hail damage repairs. I'm guessing it's a loose fitting somewhere along the way but I wanted to see what you guys think might be the problem.
Could be a dying battery. A battery fault will result in such symptoms. whilst I didn't have gauges going to sleep, there were unusual electrical things that would happen.. all fixed with a new battery
Als_Zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post