Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-09-2005, 05:06 PM   #1
Nik

Default ilde issuse's with big cam i6

i was thinking about getting a custom grind done for our au2 falc .is there anyway other than getting a chiptorque chip to get it to idle? i don't realy want to go through the dramas of pulling the unichip out and getting a chiptorque .
i remember reading on a forum somewhere that some had suggested to drill a small hole in the butterfly of the throttle body to help keep the idle up .do you reckon this would work or not?
thanks jake

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 05:27 PM   #2
Walkinshaw
Two > One

The unichip should beable to tame down a cam to a level where an acceptable idle is achieved. Just get the unichip retuned when the cam goes in.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 05:31 PM   #3
xr8ute
Back on the road

Bigger cams generally want more air at idle. The way EEC handles this is by changing the duty cycle of the ISC.

There is probably a Jaycar kit you could use as an "interceptor" between the EEC and ISC to add more duty cycle at idle.

Or you could drill a little hole in the throttle butterfly.

BTW, you can run both a Unichip and Chiptorque if you wanted. The Unichip is not actually a "chip", it's a piggyback computer.

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 05:47 PM   #4
Nik

i will be over at g and d performance on thursday so i will ask them what they can do with the unichip regarding the idle .
xr8ute were would i go to enquire about one of these jaycar kits ?also if i was to drill a hole in the butterfly what size would you reckon i should start with first 3/4 mm.how would this affect setting the base idle ?
thanks jake
Old 19-09-2005, 06:15 PM   #5
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Jake my dev 4 cammed car idles excellent.It idled a bit rougher before and the problems areas were the orings and or injectors.The next probllem area are the lifters.The shimm Jmm are not the ultimate.Pm me for some advice.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 07:02 PM   #6
xr8ute
Back on the road

See what G&D recommend before anything else. How big is your cam?

As Stav was saying, make sure the condition of the rest of your engine is in good nick. With a larger cam, your engine will be less tolerant of things like worn plugs, leads, injector O-rings, inlet gasket leaks etc....

5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Old 19-09-2005, 07:09 PM   #7
xr8ute
Back on the road

I wouldn't be 100% sure, but if anything works, it would be the Jaycar Digital Pulse Adjuster (needs hand controller kit also).

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...=&SUBCATID=347

Old 19-09-2005, 07:19 PM   #8
Nik

there's nothing wrong with the idle at the moment and the engines still in good cond.i have just had a head ported out and was looking at getting a custom grind done up . i just wanted to make sure i can get the thing to idle.
i will be fitting the head wednsday and hopefuly it should idle alright .
i will have a yarn to g&d first and then go from there .
thanks
jake
Old 19-09-2005, 07:53 PM   #9
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Good luck with it Jake.
Stav

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2005, 08:45 PM   #10
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

we have had a 222@50 cam idling fine with a Unichip and 2500 rpm stall in a AU6..
good tuners can make a big difference in your idle quality, get a dyno tune which ever way you go..
your in QLD a quick trip to Lochlan's shop would get you a custom dyno tune.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post