Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-07-2010, 09:49 PM   #1
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Magnetic diff bungs

I am just thinking if i could get a magnetic diff bung.
When someone has a LSD diff. what i have found is the metal pollutes the oil very fast even at 20.000 KM it looks bad . but i have seen open wheelers that the oil looks like new at 90.000KM.

So i was just thinking if anyone makes a magnetic bung.

Would it be best to have one on the oil filler or down at the drain?

Changing the oil cost a fair bit now days with the additive. i think i could lengthen the change interval with one.

What do you recon.

castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

I don't know of any company that makes them, but it could work. They do have them (magnets) in the autos to collect the fine metal particles.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
Kryton

Best bet would be to have it at its lowest point.
That way when the oil settles (when not in use), the metal, being heavier, will sink to the lowest point - the drain plug.

If you cant find a magnetic diff plug, you can always get a small piece of speaker magnet (break up a Sub magnet) and put it on the outside of the diff plug itself.
It wont move and it will still make the plug act as a magnet.

You can also do this with your engine oil filter, place an old speaker magnet on the base of the outside of the filter.
This will pull any metal that is floating around into the filter and keep it there.
I have done this before and come oil change time, the magnet hasnt moved.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
1LOUDXFUTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

site sponsor do magnets for diffs

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11274837
Old 11-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
b055m4n

good thinking castellan, back in the 80's when fuel was about 30 cents a litre i owned a alfa romeo gtv the engine sump nut had a huge magnet has a part the nut and every time i changed the oil there would be a very fine grey paste on the magnet
b055m4n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post