Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-05-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry Speed cameras set just 100m apart on Sunshine Coast

Speed cameras set just 100m apart on Sunshine Coast

Kathleen Donaghey May 23, 2010 12:00AM 12 comments

POLICE have been accused of double-dipping after a speed van was deployed 100m from a fixed speed camera to catch unsuspecting motorists.

The van was stationed on Nicklin Way at Warana on the Sunshine Coast last week, in front of a fixed camera introduced in February.

Police have confirmed they rotate speed vans to sites within metres of the Sunshine Coast's two fixed speed cameras.

The camera on the Sunshine Motorway near Mountain Creek is shouldered by two speed van deployment sites, about 800m in either direction.

While Gold Coast police say they don't double up with speed vans near the two fixed cameras on the Gold Coast Highway, Inspector Darren Soppa said police targeted those areas with hand-held radars.

"People know where the fixed cameras are and slow down and speed up," he said.

"Sometimes we do tactical deployment for that purpose."

Old 23-05-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
CPOCSM

They do it all the time here in the ACT.

Drive along Yarraglen Drive(Adelaide Ave) from the southern suburbs of Canberra to Civic and usually 2 mornings out of 5 you will see 3 x units one kilometre apart busting people speeding(motorcycle units and the rego check camera). Personally if you arent speeding and you are not driving unregistered you have no worries IMHO.

Nothing illegal about it at all - the "tactical deployment" is a bit of a slime but bottom line is they can deploy anywhere they wish. Yes it is revenue gathering however the speed along that particular piece of road has dropped dramatically - it is working...

I love seeing the idiots ripping along there at 100+kph and then getting pulled over just under the Cotter overpass, then getting busted again at the median strip adjacent to the Lodge(I was riding a pushie that morning and the driver of the nissan pulsar got pinged again - I laughed my butt off!!). Some will never learn and maybe 2 tickets will teach them to slow dawn
CPOCSM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Last week wasnt the only time. Ive seen that van near that fixed camera a handful of times and I dont even travel along there all the much. What does it matter anyway, dont speed dont get a fine

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Police also during an RBT will deploy in side streets to catch people who think they can by-pass the RBT set up on the main road ! OMG!

I have seen them set up two mobile radar site a couple of hundred meters apart... shock horror...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Adelaide ave in Canberra isn't dangerous (when not busy anyway)at 100+? Who cares if someones speeding? I sure don't mind someone passing me... its only for revenue, not safety.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2010, 03:22 PM   #6
Gaz
Got Ghia?

Moral, if you get caught by the first camera, keep speeding then take it to court and argue you can't get fined twice for the same offence
Old 23-05-2010, 04:27 PM   #7
reece1
reece1

its all about revenue. the police force is a massive money making machine,
i remember a time when you drove somewhere you would always come across a police car randomly patrolling the streets. they are pretty much a thing of the past. police presence on our roads slowed all of us down, as you wouldnt know where they would be, but they were always about. now days your lucky to see a police car patrolling the streets, they are normally just hidden behind a tree or something else obstuctive clickin pics and making money for the goverment confunds. they are always in the same spots catching unaware passers by in there money webs.
reece1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2010, 04:34 PM   #8
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPOCSM
They do it all the time here in the ACT.

Drive along Yarraglen Drive(Adelaide Ave) from the southern suburbs of Canberra to Civic and usually 2 mornings out of 5 you will see 3 x units one kilometre apart busting people speeding(motorcycle units and the rego check camera). Personally if you arent speeding and you are not driving unregistered you have no worries IMHO.

Nothing illegal about it at all - the "tactical deployment" is a bit of a slime but bottom line is they can deploy anywhere they wish. Yes it is revenue gathering however the speed along that particular piece of road has dropped dramatically - it is working...

I love seeing the idiots ripping along there at 100+kph and then getting pulled over just under the Cotter overpass, then getting busted again at the median strip adjacent to the Lodge(I was riding a pushie that morning and the driver of the nissan pulsar got pinged again - I laughed my butt off!!). Some will never learn and maybe 2 tickets will teach them to slow dawn
Yep, on Northbourne Av too. I saw it one night and thought you greedy bastards :

Quote:
Adelaide ave in Canberra isn't dangerous (when not busy anyway)at 100+? Who cares if someones speeding? I sure don't mind someone passing me... its only for revenue, not safety.
I got my first speeding ticket there. I was looking out for them hiding in the median and then bang the police came down the off ramp from Cotter overpass and busted me, 105 in an 80. Unlucky, wrong time and place :
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2010, 04:49 PM   #9
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

goes to show it is all about revenue, I was up in Wedderburn last week and saw one sitting on side of road on the Calder Hwy, went over the rise and on the other side was another one. My Brother in law and I couldn't believe how sneeky these dudes are.
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #10
Arkturus

i was always under the impression speed cameras couldnt be setup within 2km of each other?
Arkturus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2010, 06:30 PM   #11
CPOCSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkturus
i was always under the impression speed cameras couldnt be setup within 2km of each other?
Correct but if there are mobile radar/laser units there too, coupled with the rego camera - they can deploy anywhere they want to...

The camera vans can be anywhere in the vicinity - you just cant have another camera van within cooee. You can have as many of the other ones there as you want to - you will see the rego camera there plus two motorcycle laser units some mornings. The more the merrier for the policemans ball benevolence fund...

I beg to differ Adelaide Ave isnt dangerous - there have been 9 people killed there in the last 4 years - mainly stupidly(then again maybe not...). The latest one was the young fella who wrapped himself around the very large immoveable cypress pine adjacent to the Hughes exit - the police believe he was doing in excess of 150kph when he impacted the tree...ce' la vie!
CPOCSM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2010, 06:53 PM   #12
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I do not see a problem with it. The problem with fixed camera sites is they often only slow people down within 500m each side of them. The cops know this and they also know those that slow down for the fixed camera and then speed up again, are often those same people that always travel over the limit. In other words, serial offenders.

If someone slows down for the fixed camera, speeds up and then gets pinged by either a speed camera or handheld unit, they can suck it up! They broke the law, they should pay the fine. If they do it so often that they lose their license through points, bad luck.

No one seems to mention that the places that the fixed cameras are located on in QLD are all on stretches of road that have a terrible history with multiple fatalities/serious injury crashes.
Old 23-05-2010, 07:01 PM   #13
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I do not see a problem with it. The problem with fixed camera sites is they often only slow people down within 500m each side of them. The cops know this and they also know those that slow down for the fixed camera and then speed up again, are often those same people that always travel over the limit. In other words, serial offenders.

If someone slows down for the fixed camera, speeds up and then gets pinged by either a speed camera or handheld unit, they can suck it up! They broke the law, they should pay the fine. If they do it so often that they lose their license through points, bad luck.

No one seems to mention that the places that the fixed cameras are located on in QLD are all on stretches of road that have a terrible history with multiple fatalities/serious injury crashes.
+1
Actually, I'd prefer to see a mix of "pie vans" and point to point speed cameras to slow down
the smart A$$ES that think speed limits are an option and only apply to other less evolved drivers
who dare to travel the highways and impede their progress....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #14
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
+1
Actually, I'd prefer to see a mix of "pie vans" and point to point speed cameras to slow down
the smart A$$ES that think speed limits are an option and only apply to other less evolved drivers
who dare to travel the highways and impede their progress....
Good point, one issue. Apparently "more evolved" drivers are not involved in serious crashes and preventing them from doing any speed they like is revenue raising
Old 24-05-2010, 01:20 AM   #15
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep that Clem 7 tunnel has been a shocker, hundreds killed and maimed even before it was built........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2010, 01:45 AM   #16
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Yep that Clem 7 tunnel has been a shocker, hundreds killed and maimed even before it was built........
Touche
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2010, 01:51 AM   #17
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Can we tell the newspapers this, maybe get the Visa factory...oops I mean Monash Uni to back up these findings.

You may have very well solved our road toll crisis. Fining people twice within a hundred metres - why didnt I think of that...? Of course I doubt most speedsters would make the second speed camera because they would probably be involved in a crash within that 100m.

Ive actually never had a speeding ticket, so I must be a pretty good driver...famous last words haha.

Last edited by Brazen; 24-05-2010 at 02:09 AM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2010, 02:05 AM   #18
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So I would only see their point if a person got caught at both cameras, they only handed out one ticket. Rather than two tickets for the same offense. What's to stop them from hiding 10 cameras in the same area, and handing out 10 tickets? (2 weeks later of course).
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post