Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 06-05-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default Buying a Focus

Hi guys. I'm on the hunt for a small car for my inlaws at the moment. i'll be quite honest and tell you, i'm not a small car person so my knowledge on them is rather limited.

they are an old retired couple, father in law can no longer drive and they will do only a few thousand km's a yr as they are moving into a retirement home.

they are looking at spending up to 12k.

i've pretty much ruled out corolla's as you get nothing for your money. even though they are jumping out of an old falcon, it was a fairmont, so had most of the fruit - power windows, cruise, climate etc etc.

as far as Focus' go, i've been looking from 05 onwards (newer shape) and even up around 100000km but not more than about 140-150000km.

i assume these are the same as most small cars and run a timing belt rather than a chain? does this get done at 100000km? would prefer to get one thats had this work done if the km are in that region. i'm also hoping that with a few more km on board, a lot of the early issues (if there were any) will be sorted. of course a low km model would be better but they also demand more money. i'm not overly fussed by km and i'm pretty competant with a set of spanners.

what sort of things do i need to look for. were there any major issues with these cars.

thanks guys.

prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 02:24 PM   #2
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i assume these are the same as most small cars and run a timing belt rather than a chain? does this get done at 100000km?
Hi prydey, an LS/LT/LV Focus runs a timing chain, that gets done at 240,000km.

They might want to steer clear of the auto transmission, which often has problems with the 2nd -> 1st downshift and not many people have been successful in getting this fixed.

Also, the OEM brake rotors and pads are notoriously soft and expensive to replace with OEM products.

Other problems include broken CV joints and engine mounts, although not as common.

Otherwise, they are great cars, with excellent steering and handling.

Last edited by DZFord; 06-05-2010 at 02:41 PM.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
Padrino90
Ghiamobile

Hi,

im also looking for a new focus, an 06 zetec specifically, which is in the same year range, what else should we look out for or be aware of in terms of problems and potential failures.

Also how are they for replacement parts, are they expensive cars to fix?

thanks
Old 06-05-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate i think you might struggle to get that newer focus within 100,000ks.
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2010, 11:38 PM   #5
prydey
Rob

ended up getting an 05 (newer shape) focus, 112000km for less than $10k. full service history at peter warren ford.

they also informed me that that model focus is pretty heavy on brakes, but given that my inlaws are nearing 80, and will do all of about 5000km a year tops, most things should hold up pretty well.

i was pleased to hear the later model ones have moved away from a timing belt. one less thing to worry about.

flying to sydney next w/end to pick it up and drive it home. hope all goes well.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:55 PM   #6
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats a decent price, mind if i ask was it Auto or manual/Sedan or hatch? And the Model?

In the market myself and thats a decent price from my carsales endevors on a new shape.
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2010, 12:42 AM   #7
prydey
Rob

auto hatch. cl LS
Old 07-05-2010, 12:59 AM   #8
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
auto hatch. cl LS