Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 07-12-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
RicOz

Default Dirty alloys

Anyone else feel that the alloys get dirty very quickly? I have the 17 inch alloys on my new MB Mondeo Zetec Wagon.

Is it because of the brand new brake pads? If so, Ive had it now for over 5 months and its still getting dirty after a couple of days!

Is there anything that can be done?

Old 07-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
bovva66

I discovered the same problem when i got my Zetec. Apparently it is the brake dust from the european brake pads, it is a common isusue with these type of bracke pads. The only solution i had is to regulary wash them clean and perhaps use a car wax to protect them betweeen washes.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
RicOz

Well interesting cause when I bought my new Mazda 3 a few years ago, had the same issue and found on a forum that Mazda replaced them under warranty. I wonder if Ford will do that for me?!?
Old 10-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicOz
Well interesting cause when I bought my new Mazda 3 a few years ago, had the same issue and found on a forum that Mazda replaced them under warranty. I wonder if Ford will do that for me?!?
There's nothing wrong with the brake pads. Theyr'e a semi-metallic european brake pad. The trade off for great braking performance is a bit of brake dust.

If you ever spend any time in Europe, you'll see cars with black wheels everywhere, it's completely normal - albeit a pain in the bum.

Aussie pads are generally non-metallic on Falcons and Commodores, hence why we're not "used" to the brake dust.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
There's nothing wrong with the brake pads. Theyr'e a semi-metallic european brake pad. The trade off for great braking performance is a bit of brake dust.

If you ever spend any time in Europe, you'll see cars with black wheels everywhere, it's completely normal - albeit a pain in the bum.

Aussie pads are generally non-metallic on Falcons and Commodores, hence why we're not "used" to the brake dust.
Unless you buy a police Spec Option!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
zetec
Zoom Zoom

True - the police spec brakes on BF Falcon dusted up really badly. I remember my old BF XR8 HP
Old 13-12-2009, 08:26 PM   #7
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicOz
Anyone else feel that the alloys get dirty very quickly? I have the 17 inch alloys on my new MB Mondeo Zetec Wagon.

Is it because of the brand new brake pads? If so, Ive had it now for over 5 months and its still getting dirty after a couple of days!

Is there anything that can be done?
Change to 16" steel wheels with the Really Ugly plastic wheel trims.

(Just had to post something as there's been nothing for days!)