Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-11-2009, 08:08 PM   #1
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Default Car cover that doesn't scratch ???.

Hi guy's I am chassing a good car cover that I can use to keep my XR8 clean and dust free when sitting in the shed, I am sick of cleaning it, to only watch it get dusty sitting in the shed with in a week.
I want something that won't scratch, it won't be used externally and only when I wash the XR8 to place it in the shed and keep the dust of, as it seem's to collect alot where I live.
Or does anyone have any other idea's like a clean sheet or something, just after some advice/idea's.

galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 08:31 PM   #2
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In my experience, the only way to keep it clean and without scratching the vehicle is to put it in a vacuum bubble. I have used car covers before and unfortunately, they do let dust in and they do scratch.

As a last resort, car covers are good value in keeping most of the dust out, but any air movement will make the cover move against the paint work.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

If you can fit a cover that is the correct size and never put it when the car is dirty, then you can minimize scratching.

I use an autotechnica (spelling?) one on my Kingswood and its pretty good. Vinyl outside with a felt lining with some airvents to let the moisture and hot air out. Ive been using it for the lat 18 months in direct sunlight and weather, and its holding up well, the cover i had before just disintegrated in the sun. Car was redone in 2 pac, so id notice any scratches but so far its been tip top, and its keeps the car completely clean. I dont leave it on to long though, it gets removed about once a week. It cost about $150.

I also have an el cheapo $40 one on the Hillman, its not fully waterproof and well i would not reccomend using it on a good car, but well the paint on that car is not the greatest and well its white acrylic so it all buffs out anyway.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 12:40 AM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I got a felt one from supercheap.. I only put it on when the cars been washed.. No scratches.. Its an awesome piece of gear, but cant use it once i have driven the car and it has dust on it.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 08:40 AM   #5
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

I also have a felt cover. Great until it gets dirty. Too big to wash.

I also tried some old bed sheets. Work great. You'll need a couple of them but on the plus side you can stick them in the washing machine.
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 05:47 PM   #6
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Thank's guy's, it is only for when the vehicle has been washed and waxed and then put away in the shed. so it's never out in the element's.
I don't do alot of klm's in this car as you can tell, I bought it new in '01 and have just ticked over 53thou now.
I just want something that will keep the dust of as I wash it and then stick it back in the shed and then go to take it for a drive a couple of week's latter and it's all dusty again.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post