Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-10-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
V8 FAIRMONT

Default car broke down 2km after safety cert

Hey guys, i bought a car from way up north and drove it down 850km legally with no problems. drove it up to the mechanic the other day to get a safety and drove fine, but when i got there the water was empty. played around and fixed the leaky hose, found an oil leak...coming from a very old filter, changed that and all ended up being good, i got my safety and went on my way. 2km up the road my car just died on a hill and lost all power, engine wouldnt crank and definantly wasnt flat battery or low fuel (i thought it was fuel) called my mate to come help and he found the car was getting no spark and had no idea why, till i told him about this mongoose module i saw under the dash.

somehow the immobilizer kicked in while i was driving (never had any issues with it before, didnt even know it was still working!!) so i had to get it towed 5 mins down the road and now wait even longer to get it registered. i wanted to drive it so bad. unluckyyyy

Old 04-10-2009, 12:07 PM   #2
max
LWBforME

Ah, that's no good. What type of car was it?
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

i tried to answer your question until i realised you were telling a story.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A safety certificate means its (supposedly ) safe, not reliable. I guess you have to be happy with the functionality of the immobiliser.... it immobilised you
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

immobiliser stuffing up is not the mechanics fault, how often does a light globe in your house stuff up?
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #6
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by yift
immobiliser stuffing up is not the mechanics fault, how often does a light globe in your house stuff up?
too right. a better title to the thread could have been "immobilizer kicks in while i was driving", but i guess that wouldn't draw as much attention.
Unco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Same sort of issue I get when I audit customer's servers in my own job. I can take a look at a configuration, diagnostics and pass a server as healthy but there's no guarantee that it won't fall over a second after I've given it two thumbs up.

Now, had your vehicle had bald tyres, passed and 5km down the road you had a blowout then the heading may have been a little more justifyable. As it is, seems like a large dose of bad luck. :(
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2009, 06:38 PM   #8
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yift
Don't think he is blaming anyone ..... just saying that after everything is done and back on the road was unlucky to have the immobiliser play up after only 2 k's

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2009, 07:37 PM   #9
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 FAIRMONT
Hey guys, i bought a car.
Sorry about ure luck, better buy Fords warning triangle in case:-)

Quote:
''Speeding fines are a voluntary contribution. If you abide by the speed limit you have nothing to worry about"
First parts right, the second bits is dangerously wrong:-)
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post