Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #31
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Kowalski
It is still there.

I did some laps there last year.

Never saw any weeds.

Mind you I was high up/flat out in a Nissan Patrol 4.8l (tow car) in the damp.

We took the car trailer off first though.

We left after 4 laps in case security came over

It felt a lot safer than the Calder main track which is diabolical for grip
hahaha i got 8 laps in a navara.The banking is amazing. In America its refereed to as a average banked track
:
KPOJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #32
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

those Sprint cup car move around alot on the road courses, they don't look like they handle to well...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #33
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
those Sprint cup car move around alot on the road courses, they don't look like they handle to well...
They use a different car for road races compared to the cars they use for the banked ovals...

Old 22-09-2009, 11:24 AM   #34
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K
I don’t know what the answer is to make the series move forward (remember the Mazda RX7 SP, the BMW M3R and the Porsche 911 RS CS (drooool) for the production car racing Bathurst 24 hr? The manufacturers went nuts and lost money on making/importing a minimum of 10 cars. BMW thought that they couldn’t win, so didn’t officially enter it in to the event).
Slight corrections, it was a 12 Hr race (last one at Eastern Creek) and Porsche 968 CS. The BMW M3R was Australia-only, I think it was built by Frank Gardner & BMW Australia - they obviously had a fair involvement.

Rusty Wallace said at the Goodwood Festival of Speed that Nascar engines could make 1000hp unrestricted, which is what he had in his car - he had a serious go to get the fastest time of the day but couldn't match a few F1 cars, Jag XJR9 and even a Nissan Primera Super Touring car was faster.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #35
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Slight corrections, it was a 12 Hr race (last one at Eastern Creek) and Porsche 968 CS. The BMW M3R was Australia-only, I think it was built by Frank Gardner & BMW Australia - they obviously had a fair involvement.
Yeah? My not always reliable memory tells me that Porsche had a couple of goes against the RX7 first with the 4 cylinder 968 CS and then with the big gun 911 RS CS.
Mazda were ready to return with an RX7 SP II if need be, but that never got past the prototype stage.

I have seen a genuine M3R running around at Winton (NSW BMW club member) this one had a rear seat fitted to it.

I take some of that back about what I said about manufacturer’s bringing out the trick models just to suit particular race series. BMW brought out the CSL version and the Competition packs on the previous 6 cylinder M3 versions.

Does anyone else want to get back to the original topic or dig up arcane facts about dead history?
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 05:46 PM   #36
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
They use a different car for road races compared to the cars they use for the banked ovals...

...and they still don't look like they handle to well, alot more rolly-polly and unsettled compared to our own.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 06:27 PM   #37
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Last weekend saw the Hardtop touring cars on a circuit, demo only but it was a nice sight, the roar of an old V8, mind you they wernt really designed to handle well.

Just practicing with the Tazer on a Koala?
opto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #38
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

I think we've established that Nascars are faster on ovals and in top speed but V8Supercars are quicker on a road course.

How about a quarter mile drag race? The Nascar has more HP but also more weight.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...er-mile-3.html
http://www.dragtimes.com/Dodge-Intre...slip-4052.html

Looks like Nascars are somewhere in the 11's while Jamie Whincup ran a 10.8 earlier in the year.

ps forgot about the 911 at the last 12hr - obviously not paying enough attention like too many others!
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2009, 11:44 AM   #39
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

V8 SC would win the GO TO WHOA easy
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2009, 09:26 PM   #40
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remeber a comparo years ago when the v8 category was getting started. They put the v8 of Dickky Johnson against a nascar. Everone assumed the falcon would wipe the floor clean on a circuit and down the quarter. Turns out there were a few red faces after - the nascar was far more capable than was assumed. Remember they have much wider rear tyres, and much more grunt. That more than makes up for the weight disadvantage. They also have full race suspension not held back by the parity laws that give v8sc set mounting points and shorter wheel bases.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2009, 09:39 PM   #41
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
They also have full race suspension not held back by the parity laws that give v8sc set mounting points and shorter wheel bases.
When I was watching some of the races the commentators said they could only play with the rear spring (a little) otherwise they weren't allowed to touch it.
Old 24-09-2009, 09:54 PM   #42
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
When I was watching some of the races the commentators said they could only play with the rear spring (a little) otherwise they weren't allowed to touch it.
The are not contrained by having the monocoque shell - the thing is on a chrome-moly space frame chassis with a shell sitting on top.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 24-09-2009, 10:41 PM   #43
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Some tracks run restricter plates also ??..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2009, 11:12 PM   #44
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Some tracks run restricter plates also ??..
no not quite their are two series, nationwide and cup cars(restricted)
and i think the truck series are limited too.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 12:19 AM   #45
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Daytona and Talladega run restrictors, cutting the power almost in half IIRC. Keeps the speeds around the 190mph mark otherwise they'd have drivers blacking out and cars spinning up into the air.

NASCAR arent geared around circuit racing, even if theyre allowed more freedom in their suspension pickups and other basic design items. V8 Supercars would more than hold their own due to the much higher circuit feedback getting to the engineers.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 01:06 AM   #46
BHDOGS
Banned

There both boring as bat races
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 01:30 AM   #47
KPOJ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
The are not contrained by having the monocoque shell - the thing is on a chrome-moly space frame chassis with a shell sitting on top.
Interesting, i thought they were steel due to the better absorbtion of shock in a crash.
KPOJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2009, 08:44 AM   #48
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOJ
Interesting, i thought they were steel due to the better absorbtion of shock in a crash.
Depends on the team. Some use steel, some use 4130 chrome-moly. Because weight is not such an issue, many use steel. But many of the top teams are using the cr-moly so they can dirstibute the weight where they want it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

Old 25-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #49
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
NASCAR arent geared around circuit racing, even if theyre allowed more freedom in their suspension pickups
Don't NASCARs have to run truck arm rear suspension?