Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-08-2009, 10:55 AM   #1
trendkill555666

Default changing rego NSW to VIC

Hi Guys,

Just moved to Point Cook, Vic from The Entrance, NSW, and was wondering what the cost of transfering rego from NSW to Vic would be.

Adrian

Old 16-08-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

I have recently tranferred an interstate car to NSW rego,
You have to get a blue slip (or whatever the equivalent is in VIC), get the car registered in the new state, You hand in your old plates to the local RTA at the time of re-registering, then use the reciept from handing the plates in to claim back the remaining rego and green slip from the previous state.

They wont just tranfer the rego over as such, I did it from the ACT to NSW, but would bet it would be similar everywhere.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #3
4VCLEVO
XA GT

I have trasferd rego from NSW to VIC. You need a vic RWC and then go to vic roads where they will register the car in vic. Then you have to get the NSW plates back to the RTA to get the balance of your NSW rego back.
Nugget is right, they wont just transfer the rego.
You'll find rego in VIC much cheaper than NSW and you don't have the hastle of haveing to get a RWC every 12 months.
Old 16-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #4
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

I moved from Adelaide to Victoria with my GT. VIC Roads were hard work!

You need to firstly get an appointment (that can take time) to change your drivers license from NSW to VIC. I had to get an appointment (separate one) for each transfer!!

Then you need another Appointment to transfer the car. If you owned the car in NSW and the rego is still current, YOU DO NOT NEED A ROADWORTHY. I went through hell trying to get a roadworthy for mine with Tint, Lowering, Shaker etc etc only to find I didn't need one because I was the current owner. Phew!

If you are putting on Custom/Personalised plates, you will need another Appointment.

I found it so stressful, I paid another 6 months Rego in Adelaide until I could psych myself up to do it all. You will need lots of time because even with an Appointment you still have to wait. Make sure you find out what they need before you go in! Take every bit of ID you have - Passport, NSW Drivers License, Bills showing NSW address and new Vic one and a copy of your rental lease or Mortgage.

Regards and good luck!

Gaela

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2009, 12:50 PM   #5
trendkill555666

Thanks for the responses guys.
The car currently has rego, from what I can understand from what has been said, if I go in today, the rego will start from today, then I claim back the balance from NSW? is that right?
And while we're talking about it, how much do personalised plates cost?
Old 16-08-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trendkill555666
Thanks for the responses guys.
The car currently has rego, from what I can understand from what has been said, if I go in today, the rego will start from today, then I claim back the balance from NSW? is that right?
And while we're talking about it, how much do personalised plates cost?
You will get a percentage of it back but don't get too excited. By the time they add fees etc it is not a lot. Depending on how much is left you could wait to do the transfer of the car closer to when it runs out but be aware that legally you must transfer your license by the 3 month mark.

Go to the Vic Roads website as all the info is there. The plates are great here in Vic as you pay once and own them. In SA you pay $190 per year and only own them while you are paying. They can eventually resell them if you don't renew. Vic plates vary in price but are $495 for a full custom and $295 for Personalised. Heaps of options so check it out:

www.vplates.com.au

Cheers
Gaela

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2009, 04:17 PM   #7
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by trendkill555666
Hi Guys,

Just moved to Point Cook, Vic from The Entrance, NSW, and was wondering what the cost of transfering rego from NSW to Vic would be.

Adrian
Going RAAF, or simply running away from The Entrance, NSW?

Yes, tell us your business, no secrets here:-)
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2009, 10:00 PM   #8
trendkill555666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Going RAAF, or simply running away from The Entrance, NSW?

Yes, tell us your business, no secrets here:-)

haha, no RAAF. I work for hogs breath at Taylors Lakes and needed a back yard for the kids, (all the new places aren't made with back yards : ).

Oh, and my dad says that Victoria is "gods country". :
Old 16-08-2009, 10:38 PM   #9
ZDHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTGTP
You will get a percentage of it back but don't get too excited. By the time they add fees etc it is not a lot. Depending on how much is left you could wait to do the transfer of the car closer to when it runs out but be aware that legally you must transfer your license by the 3 month mark.

Go to the Vic Roads website as all the info is there. The plates are great here in Vic as you pay once and own them. In SA you pay $190 per year and only own them while you are paying. They can eventually resell them if you don't renew. Vic plates vary in price but are $495 for a full custom and $295 for Personalised. Heaps of options so check it out:

www.vplates.com.au

Cheers
Gaela

Hi

As GTGTP said, don't get to excited about the refund balance.

I bought a ute from nsw and transferred to Qld, and the car had 10 mths rego on it. I cannot remember the figure now but the effort i went to to fax info to NSW dept trans, then follow up, etc I got bugger all back. I thought I would have atleast got a couple of hundred back. Not the case.
1997 El Futura Saphire 11 Wagon
1985 xf Fairmont sedan
ZDHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2009, 10:53 PM   #10
trendkill555666

Not overly worried about the refund, thought I could change it over and the rego would end on the same date.
I was more interested to know if anyone had any idea of an approximate price for the change over.
Old 16-08-2009, 11:03 PM   #11
drivingon

hi adrian i suggest you ring vicroads as i transferred my car to vic last year NO ROADWORTHY NEEDED as it was already registered in my name in qld if your cars details have not changed you most likely will not even have to present the vehicle hope this helps ken
78 XC X pack
candy apple red
being restored
:thebirds:
68 xt falcon
at a later date

WRECKING XC
drivingon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2009, 11:08 PM   #12
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

A little more info here:

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...gistration.htm

Don't forget to print out the form.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2009, 11:36 PM   #13
4VCLEVO
XA GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingon
hi adrian i suggest you ring vicroads as i transferred my car to vic last year NO ROADWORTHY NEEDED as it was already registered in my name in qld if your cars details have not changed you most likely will not even have to present the vehicle hope this helps ken
I had to get a RWC and bring the car in (about 5/6 years ago), looks like the people in my vicroads don't know what there doing.
Adrian, it will cost you $567.20 a year for rego in vic.
Old 17-08-2009, 09:00 AM   #14
trendkill555666

Thanks again guys.
I thought about giving them a call but, as with most goverment agencies, I didn't think I would get a straight answer, so I thought I'd ask here first.