Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
fipcee
not so stock

Default Opinions from XR6 owners with extractors

I am seriously contemplating getting extractors fitted to my XR6. From reading posts it appears that a lot of owners have gone the pacemakers, either 4480's or 4499's. Here comes the questions, from these posts I am led to believe that the 4480's are more designed for bottom end performance, 4499's obviously higher end then. Is this true?? I am looking at gaining at the bottom end. Is there a noticeable difference in fuel economy? Most importantly what has response like, happy to go with bum-0-meter or actual figures if available and finally what did you notice regarding the exhaust note. Thanks all

Liquid silver AUIII XR6, BA scuff plates with Tickford inserts, proudly displaying AU falcon.com stickers, lowered, K&N panel filter with wide mouth snorkle, 2 1/2 exhaust and hi flo cat, Illusion mags, slotted and drilled rotors.
Next mods: extractors
fipcee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 11:10 PM   #2
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Other way around. 4499 for low down 4480 for high up. I dont really see where the extra $200 or so for the 4480's would benefit over the 4499's. I noticed a fairly big change down low, as for exhaust note to be honest not as big of change as I was expecting but still sounds VERY tough above 4000rpm, its no v8 but does put out a tough sound up high. Mine were $380 with a new gasket and new bolts (you will need new bolts). Only pain in the install is the fact that they come back so much further than stock headers so either you will want a very small cat or cut your exhaust system back. Probably the latter considering the bend on the front of the cat. Im yet to find out the consumption figures, but Im not expecting any huge difference. I too have a 2.5 inch cat back and with no cat (for the time being until this weekend, car doesnt leave the garage), the idle is the same note just louder. Really wants an ecu reset, it took a good 2 hours worth of driving before the surging/ecu relearning eased up.

Edit: I was looking at the 4480's as well but they come out a noticably further that the 4499's, and I wanted them as far from the brake booster/wiring as possible, as without the heatshield (doesnt fit over pacies) they do throw out a bit of heat.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 12:28 AM   #3
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

I thought the heatshield fits over the 4499's???

I'll find out soon enough, as I'm getting them fitted soon.....
Old 11-08-2009, 02:51 AM   #4
The Monty
Just slidin'

As for sound, ask anyone who has put on 4480's, and as good as they are for power, they sound pretty horrible.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im not sure the heatshield does, to be honest I just took it off and said no way not gonna go, Ill try dig it out this weekend and try it.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 09:18 PM   #6
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

4480's won't work with LPG either. As was said earlier, they come out too far for the converter to fit.

If you've got it or are considering gas, go the 4499's.

All the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 11:18 PM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVO_XR
Im not sure the heatshield does, to be honest I just took it off and said no way not gonna go, Ill try dig it out this weekend and try it.
Heatshield moulds fairly well, and can be fitted over the top of any extractors. Though you really only need to if running an LPG converter close by (like me).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 08:01 AM   #8
The Monty
Just slidin'

Just dont try to CUT the heatshield.....

It gets rather messy.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:40 AM   #9
fipcee
not so stock

OK thanks for the answers. So thus far I have determined that I need the 4499's and that the 4480's don't sound as good as the 4499's. C'mon guys and or gals, surely some one can let me know more about performance improvements/throttle response (if any) and exhaust note. I really don't want my car to sound like a fart in a can so any more advice will be welcomed. Note that I am running a 2 1/2 inch exhaust, k&n panel and hi flo cat. Happy to hear from anyone with a 6 running similar mods, XR or not. Thanks
Liquid silver AUIII XR6, BA scuff plates with Tickford inserts, proudly displaying AU falcon.com stickers, lowered, K&N panel filter with wide mouth snorkle, 2 1/2 exhaust and hi flo cat, Illusion mags, slotted and drilled rotors.

Last edited by fipcee; 12-08-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:09 AM   #10
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

check out Stattic's workshop build thread, he has a video of the 4480's and his system - not exactly the same of what you will have but at least it gives you an idea!!!
Old 12-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #11
st33l3y
Pursuit #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by fipcee
OK thanks for the answers. So thus far I have determined that I need the 4499's and that the 4480's don't sound as good as the 4499's. C'mon guys and or gals, surely some one can let me know more about performance improvements/throttle response (if any) and exhaust note. I really don't want my car to sound like a fart in a can so any more advice will be welcomed. Note that I am running a 2 1/2 inch exhaust, k&n panel and hi flo cat. Happy to hear from anyone with a 6 running similar mods, XR or not. Thanks
I'm currently running the 4480's, plus other mods in sig.

IMO, be a man and get the 4480's. In my experience, the 4480's still had the same down low pull as the 4499's that kept on going up in the rev range.

That said, my XR6 is a manual. You may have a different experience with the auto box.

Exhaust note wise, I wouldn't say they sound bad. I'm running a 2.5" 200 CPI cat, 2.5" catback with a 30cm resinator before a Lukey glasspack muffler and straight out tailpipe. Very loud and boomy at idle, but harder to describe under load. Grumbly but no bass, if you take my meaning.

Drones its nut off though, and sounds like crap inside the car, but I didn't buy them for sound.
2003 FPV Pursuit #144
| Silhouette | 5 Speed Manual | Pacemaker Twin 2.5" System | Pacemaker 2.5" 200 cell cats | Pacemaker 1 3/4" headers | Yella Terra airbox | Herrod Oil Breathers | MGW Short Shifter | 19" Bonspeed Clutch billet wheels | Spoiler Deleted |
st33l3y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 12:56 PM   #12
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Ok I have been thru what fipcee is going thru now.

IF YOU HAVE LPG FITTED:
Firstly, I had Vialle LPG system pre fitted to my car prior to ownership and at the time was looking to keep the gas on there and fit what ever extractors I could without them interfering with the converter.

I found that NO ONE in adelaide had a set of headers that could do this without relocating the converter some how.

THe 4499's I was told would fit but not be legally far away enough from the converter. Then again I know some who could not be bothered and have the headers nearly touching the converter without trouble.

The 4480's were worse again for fitment.

The answer to fitting any headers on an AU IMHO with a Vialle Converter LPG system is to move the converter forward toward the front by a minimum of 6 inches for adequate clearance. But by doing this, it would mean some other mods need to take place such as a change of header tank and associated hoses to a BA style header tank. (refer to Mechan1k's build thread for further details)

If you were to do this conversion, you would have sufficient area to relocate the converter forward. A PITA yes, but to do it right, its the neatest and most effective way.

POWER FROM THE 4480'S

I initially thought I would get the converter removed, but the more I looked into it, the harder it was to find someone willing to do it as well as do it without flogging me to death with extra charges. At the same time this was happening, was when I bought my supercharger, and then it became another issue. But I wont go into that as it will take too long to explain everything...

To cut a long story short, I chose to go with the 4480s due to the power I intended to make with the supercharger. I was told by my tuner that these headers will give gains at all rev ranges including down low. He wasnt a fan of 4499's and said they were a waste of time.

As far as note was concerned, I opted for quiet 'sleeper' spec note. A 2.5" mandrel redback system consisting of hiflow cat, hotdog muffler, into straight thru offset glas pack muffler and rear resi, with a slight dumped tip before the rear of the bumper.

Soundwise, its very smooth with a hint of burble but not massively noticeable. This is what I wanted. At 100kph, its nice and subtle. To the unsuspecting ear, it sounds like a mild sports system. To others the whine of the supercharger leaves a few raising an eyebrow and looking for long periods of time wondering if the car has idler pulley bearing issues. But anyway, thats off topic....lol

Considering my setup, I found that the 4480s produced a lot more mid range and top end power. Something I think the 4499's would struggle to do. But that being said, the bottom end value is about the same.

For a mild NA application I dont think you'll have any issues with the 4499's. Should you be looking at big cam, headwork etc, then the 4480's would be a better choice.

As far as bum-o-meter is concerned, you will notice a difference if you have a CAI fitted and you do a reset of your ecu. The feeling is more torque and a free-er flowing/breathing motor.

I guess the question posed to you would be, what are you looking to achieve in the long run?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 01:25 PM   #13
fipcee
not so stock

I guess the question posed to you would be, what are you looking to achieve in the long run?[/QUOTE]

Thanks very much for the indepth reponse blueoval. You have most definetly helped.
To answer you question, more torque down low I guess is what I'm chasing. Not planning on doing any further modes to the engine except maybe increasing the piping from the back of the air box to the throttle body and a XR6T lower snorkle.
I want a sleeper but one that can get up and go. Live in Brissie so not much opportunity to use the benefit of the mid-higher torque range of the 4480's. Not wanting to spark it up at lights etc, bit too old for that rubbish at 42
Old 12-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #14
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
I guess the question posed to you would be, what are you looking to achieve in the long run?
Thanks very much for the indepth reponse blueoval. You have most definetly helped.
To answer you question, more torque down low I guess is what I'm chasing. Not planning on doing any further modes to the engine except maybe increasing the piping from the back of the air box to the throttle body and a XR6T lower snorkle.
I want a sleeper but one that can get up and go. Live in Brissie so not much opportunity to use the benefit of the mid-higher torque range of the 4480's. Not wanting to spark it up at lights etc, bit too old for that rubbish at 42
No problems mate.

Then I reckon the 4499's are the go for your circumstances IMHO. They should give you good response, low down torque and power, and will most likely respond well to a mild cam should you choose to go down that path.

Note wise, it will depend on what and how many mufflers your running etc. Just be aware that you CAN have a quiet free flowing exhaust system without it being loud and obnoxious. Sometimes less is more when it comes to sound. But thats another debate.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 12-08-2009, 05:18 PM   #15
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave93761
check out Stattic's workshop build thread, he has a video of the 4480's and his system - not exactly the same of what you will have but at least it gives you an idea!!!
it wont necessarily sound like that... depends greatly on your choice of catback and the cat makes a difference too
as some people know ive had 2 catbacks which sounded completely different with the extractors, they sounded like crap with a lukey system but good with a redback system and even better with a high flow cat
as long as you dont chop off the rear muffler you shouldnt really drone with a decent catback, my cars relatively quiet at constant speeds, 60,70,80,100 and i think thats just due to keepign the rear resonator. its loud as all hell at high revs though! :P
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2009, 11:33 PM   #16
fipcee
not so stock

Can anyone let me know where the torque/grunt (technical term) levels come in to their own re revs for each for the 4480's and 4499's?
Old 14-08-2009, 11:54 PM   #17
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Can anyone let me know where the torque/grunt (technical term) levels come in to their own re revs for each for the 4480's and 4499's?

I think it depends on what setup u have on your motor. i.e. cam, headwork etc.

On a general scale I notice my 4480's come on song from 2500rpm, but I can still feel power from idle too. The beauty of the 4480's is that no matter how high you rev the car, the engine still wants to go further with the 4480's.

I can only presume the best power range for the 4499's would be from idle to about 4500rpm. Which basically is good for mild street.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 15-08-2009, 01:57 AM   #18
fipcee
not so stock

Thanks again Blueoval
Old 15-08-2009, 07:46 AM   #19
The Monty
Just slidin'

AU's in general will make peak power around 4900rpm, if that helps.