Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-07-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
Swedishmoose

Default Grinding noise in engine bay

Hi there,

I've got a 2000 Falcon Futura and lately I got a soft grinding noise in the engine bay. It is not very loud and I am not sure if it comes from the internal engine area or from outside. It is not a permanent soft grinding noise....it is more a rythmic noise with a low frequency. The overhead cam rotates too fast and if there was something wrong in there, it would always create that noise I suppose.

It only appears when the engine is cold and the tranny is in neutral. As soon as I put a gear in you can hear it. It slowly disappears when the engine is getting warmer.

It comes from the area where the belt sits and water pump, power steering pump and generator etc. It is very hard to locate and I am still not sure if it is inside the engine, outside or somewhere else.
I already lubricated all those wheels ( powers steering , aicon compressor, waterpump etc. ) with WD 40 and silicone spray but that didn't really help.It made them squeal less though.

I have never heard the 6 cylinder making such noises. Usually it is all smooth.

Well...it is not very very loud...but still annoying . I am used to a Ford engine that runs smoothly.

Does anyone have an idea what that coul dbe or what I should focus on ?

Thanks for any advise or help :

Laterz

The Moose

Swedishmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
TX3VIL

If the car's a manual then it's probably a thrust bearing or the pinion bearing that sits in the center of your flywheel. probably your thrust bearing. How's the clutch? could replace that at the same time.
TX3VIL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2009, 05:21 PM   #3
TX3VIL

Actually scratch that, just read what u said. Not sure what it could be to be honest.
TX3VIL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
whiskers
gone fishing

try the belt tensioner that could be the problem.

cheers
Whiskers
Old 10-07-2009, 06:31 PM   #5
Swedishmoose

Hi there...

thank you mates for th equick replies...I'll just keep an eye on it...

it's an automatic by the way...forgot to mention it...

The moose
Old 10-07-2009, 06:54 PM   #6
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sure u don't have a small hole in a pipe and is creating a high pitch noise?
51OAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2009, 11:26 PM   #7
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

idler puller for sure. normally the one on top of the motor, with the grooves in it for the belt. if it's not this one, it will be the actual tensioner on the bottom. i believe you can get just the gearing for it, but i don't know which one you need or what they are worth. the whole mechanism is pretty expensive, so you are best off making sure which one it is first.

if you get a piece of garden hose, put one end in your ear and the other end use for listening. with the motor running, place it next to/on the tensioner and idler, and see if you can hear the grinding sound louder. if you can, that's the one that's failed. i have a noisy one in mine at the moment too, only when cold.

good luck sorting it out, and i hope that helps
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 05:12 PM   #8
Swedishmoose

Thanks again guys...

I'll try to figure out which one it is...the idea with the hose is very good. I bet you can also use it to find other disturbing noises.....and locate them better

greetings

The moose