Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-04-2009, 11:26 PM   #1
Roy McMillan

Default Find Previous Car Owner ,HOW??

Hi guys i have just bought an old XB ford coupe with no history. The car
has still got its old Vic reg plates on it IKY-612 , and the reg ran out in 2008.
Is there any way i can track the previous registered owner through its old plates. i am after history of the car. I am not sure where to start the guy who i bought had no history at all .
Thankyou in advance Roy

Old 01-05-2009, 01:50 AM   #2
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

The only way I can think of is forums, papers and other forms of public information asking for responses. Vic government will not give details from the registration as it is covered by the privacy act.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:01 AM   #3
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

tell us more about the coupe roy

colour, engine , trans, interior and post up pics!
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 07:06 AM   #4
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as gcg said tell us more post up some photos etc, also try over at the rare spares fast lane forum as that tends to attract older readers and cars, if there its original plates and if the previos owners have been active in a club etc some one will know it and once you have 1 peice of the puzzel the rest will come more easaly

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 07:40 AM   #5
Springfield_Johny

I'm not entirely sure I'm correct, but I thought for a small fee, transport departments gave details of the registered owner(s). The other problem you may face is you know it was last registered in Victoria, could have been brought anywhere in Australia and been registered in any number of states. But give the Victorian transport Department a go. Your no worse off, if they say they can't help you.

Daily drive 2010 Mitsubishi triton single cab turbo diesel

1968 XT Falcon (project yet to be started)
Springfield_Johny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 08:45 AM   #6
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy McMillan
Hi guys i have just bought an old XB ford coupe with no history. The car
has still got its old Vic reg plates on it IKY-612 , and the reg ran out in 2008.
Is there any way i can track the previous registered owner through its old plates. i am after history of the car. I am not sure where to start the guy who i bought had no history at all .
Thankyou in advance Roy
Hi Roy, VicRoads would be a good start but there is likely to be privacy obstacles. The AOMC also have a search facility. See link: http://www.aomc.asn.au/eng&regrecords.htm There are a few relevant paragraphs about half way down the page. See how you go.

Tell us more about your new coupe. Would it be a Goss Special that was recently on Ebay??

Cheers.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 09:37 AM   #7
Roy McMillan

Hi guys Yes it is the Goss special that was on ebay. car is a good runner has all tags that match Goss specs. has all Goss extras still on car. Gt dash Gt steering wheel , green paint under floor .
However car is very rusty and will require a lot of work (money) to restore it . It would be good to know where it was bought from. thanks again Roy
Old 01-05-2009, 09:54 AM   #8
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunately privacy laws will prohibit you from obtaining previous owners details.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:03 AM   #9
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy McMillan
Hi guys Yes it is the Goss special that was on ebay. car is a good runner has all tags that match Goss specs. has all Goss extras still on car. Gt dash Gt steering wheel , green paint under floor .
However car is very rusty and will require a lot of work (money) to restore it . It would be good to know where it was bought from. thanks again Roy
Ford should be able to tell you the dealer code from the VIN, if you get the dealer code it will tell you what dealer it was sold from, so that should be a good start.
AOMC is another good place for rego details.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:12 AM   #10
Roy McMillan

Hi Guys here is the numbers of the XB Goss Coupe
JG65RM 58453K Model 18313 Trans L Manual Trim White Paint Q
Engine K = 302.
The Vin number is also tha same number that is on the tower and the motor
Build date November 1975. Has old black and whites reg plates Vic reg IKY 612
Old 01-05-2009, 11:29 AM   #11
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Engine K = 351

Engine should be Y = 302

the K at the end of the VIN denotes its a V8 for tax/duty purposes
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 12:46 PM   #12
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Get the latest Australian Muscle Car mag. Starting on page 35 there is a section "Muscle Assist" which is specifically for people trying to trace car history. Send some pics and what you already know. All the details are in the section mentioned - where to write etc. Good luck
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 09:49 PM   #13
woodsy109

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnandjus
I'm not entirely sure I'm correct, but I thought for a small fee, transport departments gave details of the registered owner(s). The other problem you may face is you know it was last registered in Victoria, could have been brought anywhere in Australia and been registered in any number of states. But give the Victorian transport Department a go. Your no worse off, if they say they can't help you.
I've done this before to track down someone that hit my parents car in a carpark. I just went into QLD transport and paid a fee and they gave me the name and address of the person the car was registered to. Not sure how it would work if the registration isn't current though.
woodsy109 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post