Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 14-02-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Focus Ghia...

Does anyone here own any model Focus Ghia?? they are most likely owned by retireee age people, so many not in majority of owners on here.., but i think one would be a handy acquisition 2nd hand, being in Qld the climate control would be handy, can this be retro fitted to an LX model? hmmm

just throwing a question out there...

Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
ant70
Starter Motor

At the very least , you'll be looking at this job list to change over from Manual AirCon to Auto AirCon ...

Dash out , change wiring loom in dash , change complete heater box over , degas AirCon system , drain radiator coolant then refill . Then you may need to get the Ford Dealer Diagnostic tool to programme the system to your particular car ...

Best option is to look around for a wreck and get the whole system complete .

Good luck if you go down this road .
ant70 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2009, 12:43 AM   #3
Mullett
Badly Focused

For the LS/LT models I have seen an aftermarket modules which simply click into the round port where the fan speed switch and temperature control and take over by digital climate control.

-RM.

93 GSR/Evo3...too much to mention, 12.2sec 1/4, FOR SALE!

*Maybe we don't try putting holes in things that sink, yeah?*
Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2009, 09:32 AM   #4
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RM, you mean something Like This?
Didnt look like a massive package either, might be cheapish to post as well...
Old 15-02-2009, 12:39 PM   #5
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

You'll often find used auto climate controls for the LR on UK Ebay

eg

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-Focus-Ghi...1%7C240%3A1318

Not sure what is involved in fitting however. I'm sure FFOC has how to's
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Just had a look on the FFOCUK website on what's involved, and 3 very experienced guys, who know what they're doing, took 3 long days to do it.

Their advice? "It's a massive pain in the ****, and DON"T do it"
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2009, 09:03 PM   #7
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hahaha, if its that hard to do..... my question becomes, do i find a LS Ghia, or stick to a LS LX.... and just manually adjust as i have done for years.... my the main family car will have climate when it arrives.....
Old 16-02-2009, 04:54 AM   #8
Mullett
Badly Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
RM, you mean something Like This?
Didnt look like a massive package either, might be cheapish to post as well...
That's what I had in mind, although it looks better than the kit I saw before, and it takes over fan direction as well, which the other kit didn't. To be honest, you'll spend about 1k...for the sake of a computer turning your aircon on and off...if it's important to you, get it, if not, don't worry...If you can sell your LX for a good price, and then hunt for a cheap Ghia, it's probably a good upgrade, I've seen LT ghias for 18k lately. Depends how long you're going to keep the car :P But you do get leather with the Ghia (I think)

-RM.

Old 16-02-2009, 08:39 AM   #9
819_FLY

Yet again you can ask yourself this, is it worth changing to a different car for the sake of having gucci digital climate control. I personally wouldn't bother, but I have seen people do similar things before though. I live up in Townsville and just have the aircon all the time, if it gets too cold just turn the knob up a couple notches on the temp adjuster, or reduce the fan. Sure beats going through all the work to get a new car or even ripping the dash/console apart to change a unit.

Check out 819FLY!!
819_FLY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2009, 08:40 PM   #10
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry, i think i have confused.... Im trading my LR Zetec in on a LS LX or LS Ghia.... Im just going to have a good look around at what i can get If i can get a Ghia cheap enough the climate would be handy, but an LX would do the job just as good

Was more of a theoretical question, could it be done? but it seems a little too complex for me to complete... and not worth paying for someone to do it... if i feel its required, i just find a ghia, if one is available.
Old 17-02-2009, 12:43 AM   #11
Mullett
Badly Focused

Oh, in that case, get the ghia, no question. The price difference will be pretty minimal, but you'll have to deal with it being an auto...

-RM.

Old 17-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #12
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullett
Oh, in that case, get the ghia, no question. The price difference will be pretty minimal, but you'll have to deal with it being an auto...

-RM.
I actually dont mind it being an Auto, as all that car will do is about 10km each way in heavy traffic, and most of the roads are quite hilly also.... So its probably a benefit...

Its all good... have to report on findings! Only thing i dont like about the Ghia is the wheels.... i prefer the LX wheels...
Old 17-02-2009, 12:27 PM   #13
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Wheels can be changed a little easier than the a/c...
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post