Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-01-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Aussie Soldier Wins VC In Afghanistan

A DIGGER who risked his own life to save an army interpreter in Afghanistan has become the first Australian to receive the Victoria Cross in more than 40 years.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd and Governor-General Quentin Bryce made the historic announcement today at Government House in Canberra.

Tropper Mark Donaldson received the award for his actions in Afghanistan on September 2 last year, when, under heavy fire, he ran 80 metres to save an interpreter for the coalition forces and carried him to safety under sustained and accurate shooting.

The investiture at Government House was told that on numerous occasions Trooper Donaldson deliberately drew enemy fire in order to allow wounded soldiers to be removed to safety.

"As the battle raged around him he saw that the coalition force interpreter was lying motionless on exposed ground," the governor-general's official secretary Stephen Brady told the gathering.

"With complete disregard for his own safety on his own initiative and alone, Trooper Donaldson ran back 80 metres across exposed ground to rescue the interpreter and carry him back to a vehicle.

"Trooper Donaldson then rejoined his patrol and then continued to engage the enemy while remaining exposed to heavy enemy fire."

The Victoria Cross is the highest possible award for acts of bravery in wartime, ahead of the Military Cross. Queen Victoria instituted the award in 1856 and made it retrospective to cover the Crimean War.

In 1975 it became the Victoria Cross for Australia after the imperial awards system changed.

Some 97 Australians have received the Victoria Cross for acts of bravery in the Boer War, the two World Wars, Russia and Vietnam.

The Victoria Cross is in the form of the Maltese Cross: in the centre of the medal is a lion standing upon the Royal Crown. The words "For valour" are inscribed below.

The Victoria Cross is suspended from a bar by a red ribbon. On the reverse of the cross the date of the act of bravery is inscribed, along with the name, rank, and unit of the recipient.

"This is a really good news story, even if we don't agree with our involvment in Afghanistan. "

Old 16-01-2009, 01:32 PM   #2
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Some 97 Australians have received the Victoria Cross for acts of bravery in the Boer War, the two World Wars, Russia and Vietnam.
Russia??? Do they mean the Russian Revolution?
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
Russia??? Do they mean the Russian Revolution?
After WWI Some allied soldiers went to Russia to assist in what was known as the White Revolution, if memory serves 2 VC's were won there.

This Trooper must have done something/s extraordinary, VC Citations are always written in very bland language.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
Biggav
On the search for cubes..

well done i say

and he deserves all the praise of what it means to be Australian... helping ones mate through thick and thin even if it means risking life.

Current Projects
ED SOHC 3v 5.4 Cammed 5.4 3V Garage Ornament Project
Project Brimstone XE Wagon Phase 6 powered by Coyote

Long Gone Projects
EA Falcon SOHC 4.0 237rwhp
BA 3V 'The Taxi' DJR320 Kit, G6ET Wheels, Lunati Voodoo Cams 320rwhp
Biggav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #5
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

I'd be interested to hear what really happened. He'd have to have done a lot more than what it says there to win a VC so its a pity they don't tell you what these Special Forces blokes get up to.

Its pretty hard to win one without dying or getting badly injured and fighting on, running through enemy fire and dragging a bloke to safety doesn't really cut it for the VC.

-Mathematicians have found that due to the excessive amount of women Chuck Norris has slept with, it is guaranteed that he appears in your family tree a minimum of three times

-Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits.

-Chuck Norris once worked as a weatherman for the San Diego evening news. Every night he would make the same forecast: Partly Cloudy with a 75% chance of Pain.
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 06:23 PM   #6
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprjenkins
I'd be interested to hear what really happened. He'd have to have done a lot more than what it says there to win a VC so its a pity they don't tell you what these Special Forces blokes get up to.

Its pretty hard to win one without dying or getting badly injured and fighting on, running through enemy fire and dragging a bloke to safety doesn't really cut it for the VC.

Behave, the English soldier who won the VC recently has head injuries so debilitating he cant actively serve any more.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 06:44 PM   #7
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

Well they don't hand out VC's like lollies, the last lot of VC that were given out were the Falkland's war and sadly the soliders that recieved them were all killed and given postumosly (forgive the spelling),
Wait there i didn't read the above post so who was this english solider and what did he do.
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
Rob's 76 Effy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #8
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer_Me
Wait there i didn't read the above post so who was this english solider and what did he do.
That would be LCPL Johnson Beharry.

In short, he was driving an armoured vehicle (as a Private) that was hit by multiple RPGs. All the people in the vehicle were injured and he drove through enemy fire to safety and extracted his mates to safety whilst under enemy fire.

A month later, his vehicle was again hit by RPGs in an ambush. His OC was injured badly and he suffered from major head injuries. He drove his vehicle to safety again before losing consciousness.

He needed brain surgery after that event and has not returned to full health. At the moment he is unlikely to return to full duties although he is still on the Army Payroll.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson_Beharry

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #9
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Every Australian should stand proud today"

The words "Legend" and "Hero" are used extremely lightly in todays artificial world, but you Tropper Mark Donaldson are the "genuine article"

Congratulations to this very brave man, I for one am extremely proud and ultimately grateful of his courageous actions, and also those of the many other service men and women serving in the armed forces during these difficult times.

Good On'Ya Mate!
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 11:04 PM   #10
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer_Me
Well they don't hand out VC's like lollies, the last lot of VC that were given out were the Falkland's war and sadly the soliders that recieved them were all killed and given postumosly (forgive the spelling),
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Cross

The two awards given in the 21st century to British personnel have been for actions in the Afghanistan War and the Iraq War. On 18 March 2005, Lance Corporal (then Private) Johnson Beharry of the 1st Battalion, Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment became the first recipient of the VC since Sergeant Ian McKay in 1982.[14]

The most recent award of the Victoria Cross to a British service person was the posthumous award on 14 December 2006 to Corporal Bryan Budd of 3 Para. It was awarded for two separate acts of "inspirational leadership and the greatest valour" which led to his death, during actions against the Taliban in Afghanistan in July and August 2006.[61]

It was announced on 2 July 2007 that Corporal Bill Apiata of the Special Air Service of New Zealand (NZ SAS) was awarded the Victoria Cross for New Zealand for carrying a severely wounded comrade 70 metres over rocky ground while under heavy machine-gun and Rocket propelled grenade fire during the Afghanistan War in 2004.[62][63]

On 16 January 2009 Trooper Mark Donaldson of Australia was the first recipient of the Victoria Cross for Australia for actions carried out under enemy fire in Afghanistan
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 11:06 PM   #11
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuan
That would be LCPL Johnson Beharry.

In short, he was driving an armoured vehicle (as a Private) that was hit by multiple RPGs. All the people in the vehicle were injured and he drove through enemy fire to safety and extracted his mates to safety whilst under enemy fire.

A month later, his vehicle was again hit by RPGs in an ambush. His OC was injured badly and he suffered from major head injuries. He drove his vehicle to safety again before losing consciousness.

He needed brain surgery after that event and has not returned to full health. At the moment he is unlikely to return to full duties although he is still on the Army Payroll.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson_Beharry
Thats it mate, aye.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 11:10 PM   #12
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

And more should be awarded. It is a job I would not want to do. My son is talking of enlisting if he doesn't pass the police exam ...No Way son! There is a war goin on and I dont want you to be a part of it! Dont get me wrong, I am very grateful to those who are fighting the fight and my thoughts were with you and your families at Christmas time. May you all return home safe! More recognition needs to be made IMO!
Old 17-01-2009, 08:55 AM   #13
Bluepower
KenneBell Australia

Just the best news I have heard in recent times.........

I have a few buddies "out west" and the story i have is much different, this bloke has a heart as big and as strong as an ox.

put it this way, not just the interpreter, but 7 SF and 2 medics owe their life to this bloke as well.

For operational and tactical reasons, the whole truth is rarely told, but the untold story here is that an Aussie stuck his neck out for his mates, just like the 9 others who NEVER made it.

Makes me god damn proud to be an Australian.

Bluepower Racing Developments

Proud Australian Distributors of Kenne Bell superchargers
The Quickest, The Fastest, The Baddest Boss Blower of all.

www.bluepower.com.au

Bluepower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2009, 09:03 AM   #14
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80

The words "Legend" and "Hero" are used extremely lightly in todays artificial world, but you Tropper Mark Donaldson are the "genuine article"

Congratulations to this very brave man, I for one am extremely proud and ultimately grateful of his courageous actions, and also those of the many other service men and women serving in the armed forces during these difficult times.

Good On'Ya Mate!
Well said, it's enlightening to hear of a real Hero as opposed to one who kicks a ball around.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2009, 10:55 AM   #15
Wally
XP Coupe

The 7:30 report ran the ceremony last night:

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #16
scoupedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80

Good On'Ya Mate!
Well quoted the real hero's don't play professional sport
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2009, 07:49 PM   #17
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

champion, sarge told me the full story at work today, bluepower is on the money. absolute legend and hero. well done mate you did the regiment and army proud.
fordomatic is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2009, 01:05 AM   #18
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprjenkins

Running across 80m of rocky ground, carrying a wounded man whilst under accurate heavy machine gun fire, you don't get much braver than that. Even WO2 Keith Payne thought he had been killed when he read the citation. Keith was stoked to find out "we have a live one".

As has been said, VC citations never give a good feel for what really happened and the magnitude of the action. Just read some of the citations of the other 96 aussies that have been awarded them.

This is enormous, still alive and still in service, the Army now has a new mascot. I bet he is now the only man in the unit that the CO of SASR will call sir. Pity his service in SASR will come to an end as he is now too well known and too easily identified. Having said that I am sure he will now get the posting of his choice if he remains in service.
Old 22-01-2009, 10:37 PM   #19
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done on his decision to lend the medal to the National War Museum too.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2009, 10:55 PM   #20
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

[QUOTE=geckoGT]Running across 80m of rocky ground, carrying a wounded man whilst under accurate heavy machine gun fire, you don't get much braver than that. QUOTE]
Couldn't of been that accurate they didn't get him ,

On him for loaning his medal indefinately to the War Museum, My father donated all his Fathers (my grand father, i never got to now him, my lose) medals from WW2 to the local RSL (St Mary's), not in the same league i know but still happy there on display for all to see
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly

Last edited by Explorer_Me; 22-01-2009 at 11:04 PM.
Rob's 76 Effy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2009, 04:13 PM   #21
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Strange that his picture was shown in the media though.
Old 23-01-2009, 05:09 PM   #22
Bluepower
KenneBell Australia

[QUOTE=Explorer_Me]
Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Running across 80m of rocky ground, carrying a wounded man whilst under accurate heavy machine gun fire, you don't get much braver than that. QUOTE]
Couldn't of been that accurate they didn't get him ,

On him for loaning his medal indefinately to the War Museum, My father donated all his Fathers (my grand father, i never got to now him, my lose) medals from WW2 to the local RSL (St Mary's), not in the same league i know but still happy there on display for all to see
Those fellows shoot a solid jacket 7.62, and the only real heavy gun of any use is the Russian Dishka, which the taliban have been known to aim at people as well as aircraft. A 7.62 in a burst scenario is not an easily contolled weapon.......a dishka cant be brought to bear quick enough against a fast moving target in close quarters (under 100metres or so)

Put it this way - im certain that they were shocked to see someone run right into a Kill zone, and maybe their pause was enough - and to see him fight back???

Im sure those enemy were glad to see contact broken with those Aussies....

They would have been trying to sight him up whilst also putting up with the way the AK "klak klak" behaves.. who cares, he is alive, he is a hero, and if he paused or waited, we could have lost someone.

I cant wait for Australia Day, APRIL 25!!!!!!!!!

www.bluepower.com.au

Old 23-01-2009, 05:10 PM   #23
Bluepower
KenneBell Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Strange that his picture was shown in the media though.
Yes, good point, however the morale will do wonders for SF and for the REMF's in canberra who dont pay them their dues. :

www.bluepower.com.au

Old 23-01-2009, 05:53 PM   #24
FPVF6X189
FPV F6X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepower

I cant wait for Australia Day, APRIL 25!!!!!!!!!

actually Australia Day is the 26th of January i think you meant Anzac Day but they are both as good as each other and make you feel proud to be australian

aussie aussie aussie oi oi oi !!!!!!!!!