Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-01-2009, 10:21 PM   #31
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
Another factor in recent times which has contributed to the spiralling values of the late 60's and 70's classics is the cashed up retiring baby boomer population wanting to relive their childhood by buying these vehicles which they may have owned when they were young. Rumour has it that this phenomenen has now run its course so consequently the over inflated values will soon adjust to more realistic levels. If the economic crises continues, or worsens, then that decline will happen quite rapidly.

Should the same thing happen withGen Y's in 25-30 years time, then you can expect Subaru WRX's to be in huge demand in the year 2030...not your typical Australian family sedan built in 2005...Teenagers today don't rate Aussie 6/8 cylinder cars and consign them to the "uncool" basket so who will be buying them in 30 years time? Certainly not todays youth thats for sure, and they're gonna have all their inherited wealth in their back pocket at their disposal.....So, buy 10 WRX's now and store them for 30 years as part of your super fund Fev
While in some parts your right, there are more V8's and high performance cars in my close circle of friends then people we know my parents age, Aussie muscle still has it's fan boys and always will.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 10:43 PM   #32
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
LOL, yeah, true.
But if you look at historic "indicators" the X series GT's and HO's recovered to original sales price within 3-5 years.. some even maintained their original sales price..!
10 years down the track average XW GT's were twice their purchase price, HO3's 6+ times, they've gradually climbed since the 80's.
To put that in relative perspective can anyone see a BA/F GT or T3 being worth their original price of 65k+ let alone 150K in 3-5 years time????.
You just need to factor in general inflation into your model, inflation has been comparetivley low in recent times, if inflation was higher, cars would be perceived to be maintaining their value as their $$$ value stays equal yet your wage increases and everything else gets more expensive.

EL GTs retailed for the same money as an FG GT cars built 10 years apart. Conversely a 68 XR GT retailed for much less than a 76 XB GT only 8 years apart, so then a second hand '68 XR GT sold for similar money than it did new but in reality the dollar was worth ALOT less, which means the car was worth alot less..
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 10:45 PM   #33
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
LOL, yeah, true.
But if you look at historic "indicators" the X series GT's and HO's recovered to original sales price within 3-5 years.. some even maintained their original sales price..!
10 years down the track average XW GT's were twice their purchase price, HO3's 6+ times, they've gradually climbed since the 80's.
To put that in relative perspective can anyone see a BA/F GT or T3 being worth their original price of 65k+ let alone 150K in 3-5 years time????.
yes and a lot of people miss the point of inflation,what were they 4500 ,was harder to achieve a new car on wages of the time ,if you convert it to now the equivalent to 2 years that makes them a hundred g plus vehicle anyway .the others are glorified and rightly so ,supply is getting less ,yes it may be only an old falcon ,but they aint makin no more .
if anyone invested that money then or now ,i am pretty sure it would be way more than the inflated prices they are asking .but you dont get that piece of history do ya .

so my answer is wait and see but i would nearly bet some will .which car ???????????? whats next weeks lotto numbers :Reverend:
Old 16-01-2009, 11:15 PM   #34
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I believe the big bucks of certain cars relates to what i believe is the ‘legend’ part of the stories that Harry Firth, Howard Marsden, Brockie, Moffat, etc told about how they were involved in the making of the cars. What about ford‘s inital attempt to register the HO’s and they got knocked back because of the excessive noise so they stuffed chicken wire in the exhaust and problem was solved. What about Harry Firth’s claim that while he was developing the XU1 (and XU2 V8), he would take them on public roads at speeds in excess of 250KPH. What about Brockies claim that they got hold of the phase 1 and tested it themselves (HDT) and found that it went faster around a track with the rear anti roll bar removed. So HDT made sure that the factory ford teams arrived at Bathurst with the rear bar installed, in case ford found out that it slowed it around corners. These are just a few of the stories that to me, is what makes those factory born race cars (made available to the public) the legend cars that they are. When I look at these cars at car shows, i don’t just admire the shape, colour and noise of these machines, i think of all the ‘cloak and dagger’ stuff that went on behind the scenes to make them legend material.
The greatest injustice to a fan of this era, but no doubt had a MAJOR impact on the legend of these cars, was to have the greatest creations of Holden and Ford at the time, the XU2 and phase 4, never hit the road or racetrack. The banning of them was a black day in our history. What would the price be of a Phase 4 or one of Harry's V8 XU2's that may have survived?
FG XR6 (son)
jphanna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2009, 08:59 AM   #35
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphanna
What about Brockies claim that they got hold of the phase 1 and tested it themselves (HDT) and found that it went faster around a track with the rear anti roll bar removed. So HDT made sure that the factory ford teams arrived at Bathurst with the rear bar installed
Off topic but I think it's fairly common knowledge rear sway bars on the race cars were loosened off to just short of falling off so when cams looked under the cars they were in place but actually had nill effect. In fact the "phase 4" scheduled for 1972 was not going to be fitted with a rear sway bar.

So I dare way Brockie was not the only one with this know how.

Last edited by Stefan; 17-01-2009 at 09:05 AM.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2009, 09:22 AM   #36
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Opinion: The 1967-1976 era factory musclecars (and some later homologation specials) attract the "big bucks" because:

1) They were the original pioneers/instigators of the musclecar era here, so they were new, never seen and stood out.
2) They were specifically designed to win on the track to sell on monday... "Homologation specials"
3) They have Bathurst and racing pedigree that translated directly into the showroom that consumers could identify with!.
4) To a lesser degree they were built is relatively low numbers.
5) They were surrounded in "infamy" because of the supercar scare.
6) Young people worshiped them and aspired to own them far more then because of the first 3 points..

The modern stuff misses out on all those points, so thats why, imo they will (and are) appeal far less to the cashed up collectors and enthusiasts.
So far the trends of resale would support that. 20-30 years time? who knows, but i doubt many of us will be too worried by then.. I'll be more interested in driving luxury modern stuff!!!

Last edited by 4Vman; 17-01-2009 at 09:40 AM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2009, 01:23 PM   #37
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpv84d
Quite a few posts say that fpv's will be worth nothing cause there is so many of them made? do the people who say this actually know that xygt's were made in similar numbers to bf's and nearly 40 years on not too many genuine xy's survive thats why they comand the cash so I put it to you that in 30 years time of the lets say 3000 bf gt's that were made how many will be left and what price will one be prepared to pay to own the ford performance car of the 2007's era? I think that no one has a crystal ball but I would bet that todays hiperf. cars will be worth some serious coin in good nick in the next 20 or so years.
But there were only a few hundred HO's made, the XY GTHO was approx 250, and considering how many are still left, maybe 100, then you realize how rare they are. The value on the standard XY GT's has been driven up because of the halo of the GTHO, and people wanting to buy one but they can't afford one so they settle for a GT which looks the same anyway. The current range may sell in similar numbers but there is no special edition halo model performance leader at the top that wins at Bathurst and creates a halo for the whole range.

The whole market for these old muscle cars has crashed pretty hard recently, just look at the number of passed in examples at the auctions, no one is going to pay the ridiculous prices the sellers want any more. Its definately peaked, at least for a while yet. I'll bet the guy who payed the highest amount for the Ph3 is kicking himself, its probably worth a lot less than what he paid for it now.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post