Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-01-2009, 12:22 AM   #1
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Default Toyota to slice production at Altona plant as demand dives

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...4-2862,00.html

AUSTRALIA's biggest car exporter Toyota will slice production at its Altona plant because of flagging demand for Camrys in key Middle Eastern markets.

Staff at the Altona plant were told yesterday that output would be reduced in the first half of this year because export sales were not likely to meet initial targets.

Sources said no jobs were likely to be cut, but any further reduction would threaten jobs.

The Toyota cuts follow a decision by Ford's consumer finance arm to stop lending money for retail car sales in Australia.

Ford Credit's decision will cost 160 jobs.

Export sales are critical for the future of Toyota's Altona plant. More than half of the 150,000 cars produced at the factory last year were exported to countries such as Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Bahrain. The export business raked in $1.7 billion.

Toyota spokeswoman Heather Box refused to comment on the imminent production changes.

"In these circumstances we are reviewing our production volumes, as we always do, but there is nothing we can confirm today," she said.

Almost 10,000 full-time jobs were lost in Victoria last month as national unemployment broke through the half a million mark.

The official unemployment rate rose from 4.4 to 4.5 per cent amid warnings of much worse to come. Victoria's unemployment rate jumped from 4.4 to 4.6 per cent.

Nationally, 43,900 full-time jobs were lost in December, but part-time employment increased by 42,800, Australian Bureau of Statistics figures released yesterday showed.

The Australian National Retailers Association said 45,000 jobs had been shed from the sector last year and another 50,000 were at risk.

Despite only a slight increase in the national jobless rate, the Government and economists agreed the figures confirmed the effects of the global economic downturn.

"Australia is not immune from the impact of the global financial crisis," Acting Prime Minister Julia Gillard said.

The unemployment rate was likely to climb to 5 per cent by the middle of the year, Ms Gillard said.

While experts had predicted the economy would lose 20,000 jobs, an increase in part-time employment of 42,800 for the month indicated businesses were seeking to ride out the gloom by -- for now - avoiding wholesale job slashing.

Old 16-01-2009, 08:50 AM   #2
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
The Toyota cuts follow a decision by Ford's consumer finance arm to stop lending money for retail car sales in Australia.
WTF??????????????????????????????
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 09:21 AM   #3
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
WTF??????????????????????????????
WTF alright!

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #4
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't you love the way the media portray job losses or employment...?

"While experts had predicted the economy would lose 20,000 jobs, an increase in part-time employment of 42,800 for the month indicated businesses were seeking to ride out the gloom by -- for now - avoiding wholesale job slashing."

As if businesses hang onto staff whether there's work for them to do or not...

Or just employ extra people as a good will gesture... :

businesses need staff to perform the tasks required of that business, if there's more people than needed to meet current demand they have to loose numbers, if there's more work than the current staffing levels can cope with they employ more people..

Old 16-01-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
johnny351
used to be johnny260

yeh my dad works there and told me i could definitely get a job with him when i get my forklift license next week but yesterday he tells me sorry mate no chance now thing aren't going so well even though they sold more car this year than last
johnny351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 05:26 PM   #6
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Oh well I guess the 7 people who buy retail Falcons every year will be disappointed.

This is going to be a disaster for the retail savvy Focus and Territory!!!

This must be a mistake. Ford credit wasn't affected by the Global Financial Crisis :
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2009, 05:31 PM   #7
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Oh well I guess the 7 people who buy retail Falcons every year will be disappointed.

This must be a mistake. Ford credit wasn't affected by the Global Financial Crisis :

So I assumeyou didn't see the thread: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1&page=1&pp=25
Old 16-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #8
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Pfft... anyone can get a better deal from other sources anyway.

Every car ive financed Ford Credit weren't competitive with their rates anyway.'