Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-01-2009, 04:40 PM   #1
hdj80

Default How can they sell them without demo's

Well I went into 2 Ford dealers this morning seek a test drive on either an XR6T or XR8 ute. Neither had one.
So then I let the fingers do the walking. Strike 3.

Sometime in Feb for a 6T or late Jan for an XR8.

I know the floor plan and economy are probably affecting stock levels, but as one sales robot said "Not sure how we can sell them without one to show you". Says it all really.

Brickbats to Metro Ford Brisbane ....$46k for an 07 build 1k km demo BF Tornado with nothing more than dark argent wheels....tell em they'r dreamin.

I think I'll go test an SS ute as well while I'm waiting

hdj80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes floor plan and ecomony are effecting stock levels. you will notice it at all dealerships, even holden ones.
Old 13-01-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

As you know I had a hell of a time finding one to buy - I had to jump on it when they located it for me. And Ive still never driven one.
Old 13-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #4
xr6turbo2005
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ive bought 3 new fords over the years. never test drove any before hand. just knew i wanted one

edit - i did test drive a GT before i bought one, but that was only because the sales guy offered. I was only looking at the various colour combo they had in stock at the time.

2008 FPV GT - Auto, Seduce Red, Leather Interior, Herrod Performance Air Box with K&N Pod Filter.

2018 4WD Everest Trend - Blue Reflex.

Last edited by xr6turbo2005; 13-01-2009 at 09:45 PM. Reason: i tell a lie
xr6turbo2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 12:00 AM   #5
hdj80

Pretty ordinary way to sell a car though.

I'm true blue but man it's hard to keep the faith sometimes....even driving a mate's VE at present....a basic car as it is, a 6.0l under the bonnet would make it more thrilling.
Old 14-01-2009, 02:19 AM   #6
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Times are tight, that's for sure.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 07:44 AM   #7
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sure if they were missing out on a few sales by not having a demo then they would have them.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 07:52 AM   #8
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

i see your point, but when i ordered my GT i didnt test drive one, as they rarely stocked them at my local dealership, i just knew what i wanted.
Old 14-01-2009, 09:46 AM   #9
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its not just Ford - looking for a SUV for the mrs and Toyota had no RAV4's we could drive (6cyl or 4cyl) and Mazda did not have one single CX7. Ford dealer wouldnt even serve us (we wanted to drive a Territory). Its seems a lot of the dealerships we went to had minimum stock and not enough salesmen (laying them off I guess) to attend to the people in there.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 10:03 AM   #10
dub racing
t3 own the road

I dont think its the times early last year i tryed to get a test drive of Bf XR8 manual went to dealer he said he would organize it but never heard anything back .So after waiting a few weeks i thought i try some other dealers by phone this time ,all i can say is there hopeless i dont know how they sell cars .Everyone of them said we have an auto you can drive but no manuals pfft and werent very intrested in helping .Never again will i waste my time at looking at a new car from ford dealer .I bought a renault clio for mum a few years ago and the sales person went out of his way to make sure we were happy .

cheers mark
dub racing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 06:51 PM   #11
strike

A few years ago my wife had her heart set on one of them little Holden Cruze things. As she was doing mainly city driving she wanted to test drive a auto. (as we had been told they weren't as sluggish as they used to be) We went to a dealership which had no demos, had a couple of 2nd hand ones which they refused to let us drive. We ended up going to another dealership which was much more helpful and brought a auto.
strike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 07:13 PM   #12
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its pretty stupid isn't it, Oh no we can't sell cars. Then when you go to buy one you can't!!
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #13
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Test drove 2 Territory's, both Ghia 4WD and standard, FG XR6, G6ET, FG XR8 and a Mondeo ..... all in the space of a week? Coffey Ford and Freeway Ford. Ended up with the G6E and the Terri. All late last year. Could have bought the G6ET or the XR6 as a demo .

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 10:49 PM   #14
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

all my dealings have been salesmen related ,see young buck he will let you drive the bosses car to get a sale ,old guys seen too many tyre kickers ,given up on getting brownie points .but that can reverse old guy knows his stuff and will do a deal ,young guy has no clue about anything and would try to sell you the paper boys pushy .but i digress i hate it when i get told oh no manuals ,we have that colour but ,i tell them i want it now no ifs or buts, or no deal no waiting .patrol 3 day wait ,swift 2 so i did ok .push enough and you should get what you want , don't let em tell porkies cause their too lazy
Old 15-01-2009, 09:15 AM   #15
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

It's not that unusual this scenario.

1.Either wait to 'test' drive them both when they are available to validate your decision, or

2. Order one of them.

3. Order both and spread the risk.

You know what they look like. You could read maybe 236 reviews of either variant from Motor, Wheels, etcetcetc. To be honest I don't see what the problem is.

Worst scenario - you buy a 6 or an 8 and decide it doesn't handle as sharply as you'd like ----> put some decent suspension in it. Or it doesn't go quite fast enough ---> take it for some BPR therapy.

You've actually got a pretty good dilemma - I mean you're in the market and considering a performance Ford.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #16
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Never bought a new car without taking one for a test drive first.

Last car I bought, they handed me the dealer principal's car. I was looking for a DSG box and they only had a manual on the lot. Car with the right specs was on a ship, signed on the dotted line on the proviso that when they did have a DSG available, my sale was pending a test drive in one. No test drive, no sale.

A DSG model became available, called within an hour of it being on the dealer's lot and I was happy with the car - then had to wait 3 months for mine. :(

Even if I went from a BA to a BF, I'm not going to lay down that amount of cash on an unknown.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2009, 10:47 AM   #17
hdj80

tex

If I lay down $40k I reckon the seller has some responsibility to at least let me try before I buy. It ain't a seller's market, so if they want my bucks they need to do the things I want, not what they want.
It's okay for you guys that have owned the previous models. I haven't driven anything other than a stock BFII sedan and SY Territories.
What I want to do is make sure that I will be happy with the 6T, I'm a V8 guy and since this car will be doing 25k km p.a I want to save a few pennies on fuel by running the more economical at cruise model.

It seems very few dealers have any demo's and that means colours are very limited unless you like ego or silhouette. Which are both low on my list.

Metro Ford have a showroom XR6 in Vixen with 19's - does that look great.
Old 15-01-2009, 11:22 AM   #18
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Make sure they know that you are ready to buy but you wont be buying without a test drive.

If they dont come to the party, go to the next dealership. It may take some time and effort but you will get your test drive eventually. If you are in Brissy, its really not that far to the Goldie or Sunny coast. Broaden your horizons when letting your fingers do the walking.

By the way, isn't 40K a lot to spend to save a few pennies on fuel? :evil_laug
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post