Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
BlueXr8

Default opions on BA2 and BF1 XR6

what are the main differences?

and is it worth paying that little bit extra for the ZF6 speed auto?

i have a few options: (all non turbo)

1) Yellow BA MKII 78,000klm full service history really clean car $17,000

2) Red BF1 Sat nav, park sensors, 62,000klm ZF6 Auto $19,000 (ex fleet car)

3) White BF1 57,000klm ZF6 Auto, Full service history $18,000

4) White BF1 86,000klm ZF6 auto, full service history $17,500

this is just a weekend car so i would love something with lowest klm possible to help retain re-sale value since im luky to do 8,000klm a year (i have a company car during the week)

not sure what to buy i would love a BF but i dont see a point in buying one if it does not have the ZF auto? opinions?

Ex fleet cars stay away or not?

cars with a tow bars? how will this affect the auto?

Sorry for the dumb questions but ive just come form imports, and its time to stop wasting money on cars

EF Series2 XR8 Manual - Pacemakers- 2.5inch Exhaust System With Dump Tip- Steeda Short Throw Shifter-Yella Terra Light Weight Non Explodeable Flywheel-Creamic Cushion Button Clutch- Dropped 50mm From The Ground-
Old 11-01-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd be seriously looking at #3, lowest K's and only a $K more than the BA.

If its a fleet car, might be worth trying to establish the history. ie was it a salary packaged car for one driver or was it a pool car. If its the former, then it's essentially the same as a one owner private car and would have a service history.

As for tow bars, look at its rating. If it's a low rating then it could have been added to do the odd trailer pulling picking up mulch etc. If it's a Reece hitch type (heavy duty), then it's likely to have been put there for a reason.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I'd go for the BF over the BA if I was buying again and I could stretch the $$$. There was a lot more to the BF than just the ZF 'box, there were a bunch of technical and mechanical upgrades that went with it
Old 11-01-2009, 02:47 PM   #4
cool65
carefactor zero

All above cars will probably lose 50% over next 2 years- if you are going to spend 15k+ why not look at a classic that won't lose you money
xp coupe
xy gs fairmont wagon
landau
xe esp V8
mid 60's galaxie or t-bird
Old 12-01-2009, 12:50 PM   #5
BlueXr8

is the 6 speed really worth the extra $$$$$
EF Series2 XR8 Manual - Pacemakers- 2.5inch Exhaust System With Dump Tip- Steeda Short Throw Shifter-Yella Terra Light Weight Non Explodeable Flywheel-Creamic Cushion Button Clutch- Dropped 50mm From The Ground-
Old 12-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
Busted

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueXr8
is the 6 speed really worth the extra $$$$$
In a word "yes".
Old 12-01-2009, 01:06 PM   #7
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueXr8
what are the main differences?

and is it worth paying that little bit extra for the ZF6 speed auto?

i have a few options: (all non turbo)

1) Yellow BA MKII 78,000klm full service history really clean car $17,000

2) Red BF1 Sat nav, park sensors, 62,000klm ZF6 Auto $19,000 (ex fleet car)

3) White BF1 57,000klm ZF6 Auto, Full service history $18,000

4) White BF1 86,000klm ZF6 auto, full service history $17,500

this is just a weekend car so i would love something with lowest klm possible to help retain re-sale value since im luky to do 8,000klm a year (i have a company car during the week)

not sure what to buy i would love a BF but i dont see a point in buying one if it does not have the ZF auto? opinions?

Ex fleet cars stay away or not?

cars with a tow bars? how will this affect the auto?

Sorry for the dumb questions but ive just come form imports, and its time to stop wasting money on cars

Resale value on any of these cars will be equally as low in time so not really something I'd bring into the equation.

For looks the BA Mk2 in Rapid would be first choice....Full service history and 78k kms is not overly high for a mid 05 model. Unless it's an FPV white to me looks too much like a taxi. Not a fan of red unless its Venom. Downside with the Yellow car is that it would have the 4 speed auto, unless its a 6 speed manual

The white BF with 57,000 kms (no 3) has the 6 speed auto and is only $1,000 dearer than the BA Mk2 with 21,000 less kms....I'd prefer this over the other white BF...Ok its $500 cheaper but much lesser kms.and worth paying the xtra $500 for

No 2 seems overpriced even with sat nav.

On balance I'd go with car no 3 and live with white....For the ZF box and lowest kms it's worth sacrificing colour choice IMO
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 12-01-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool65
All above cars will probably lose 50% over next 2 years- if you are going to spend 15k+ why not look at a classic that won't lose you money
xp coupe
xy gs fairmont wagon
landau
xe esp V8
mid 60's galaxie or t-bird
YES!

I was thinking the exact same thing. A XR6 of any kind for a weekender seems strange.

Not only will it hold value, you could even make a little ontop.

If its only for weekends then get something that will be fun.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 12-01-2009, 02:51 PM   #9
BlueXr8

yes it is only a weekender but it needs to be comfortable to drive to torquay and phillip island every few weekends as well, i want to keep my next car for a fair while as ive been through 5 cars in 3 years its just getting silly, im sick of sinking thousands into cars

there is a nice black XE ESP for sale in vic atm which i would love but it just would not be practical, plus im looking forward to not driving cars that are cop bait, and owning my 1st auto
Old 12-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #10
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i've had a ba mk2 xr6 auto and a bf1 xr6 zf 6 speed auto, and i can tell you they're completely different drives entirely... go the BF for sure, the extra money is more than worth it. Option #3 looks good on your list providing it checks out. I personally always steer clear of cars with tow bars as you never know what they've towed in their life, but it doesn't always mean trouble.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:39 PM   #11
BlueXr8

cheers just reading the whats gone wrong with you bf thread :( puts me off a litltle,

ill check the white one out soon hopefully this week, it looks like a spot on car its just a shame about the colour
Old 12-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #12
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bargain for the price of the white one, us the dough saved for some classic blue stripes down the side and it will look sweet...
Old 12-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #13
gtfpv
GT

WHY PICK A MODERN CAR with safety and crumple zones built in . for the same money , you can buy an older car that can give you a lovely roll if you lose control , or perhaps wave to your mates as you fly through the windscreen and sail for 30 metres, with a free face job in your classic.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #14
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11217698
Closed Thread