Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 02:53 PM   #31
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXR6
I love it how some of you blokes actually swallow the bull that some police and government members shove down your throats. Speed kills. Yeah right.

Just because he was pulling 170 doesn't mean an accident was surely impending. Does anyone know where, when, how, conditions (driver, road, weather, etc) this occured?

If it was a straight, clear, queit road which the guy knew like the back of his hand with no traffic away from residential area. Trained, quality driver and an immaculate, capable vehicle - what's wrong with that?

If it was a twisty, dark, wet road he was unfamiliar with plenty of traffic near residential areas. A poor driver in a poorly maintained and unroadworthy vehicle - moronic behavior.

You see the difference? Let's look at the whole picture instead of pointing at "170km" with shocked and dismayed looks and shaking our heads are the sheer insanity of it all...

Take the latest news regarding the Summernats bloke that got nabbed for doing "40km" over the speed limit (oh my god!!! why wasn't his car impounded and the bloke jailed for 5 years, no bail!!!). Sounds good on the headlines. Look at the whole picture and you will see it was in what is normally an 80 zone which was brought down to 40 due to road works. And anyone knows that there are PLENTY of times during roadworks where there is ZERO activity which may have been the case here.

FFS get over the whole "speek kills" crap! Of course speed kills. If a car wasn't carrying speed at the time it pranged, there would be no damage. So yes, speed kills. But let's look at why instead of preaching bull...
ummm can i ask did you read the thread and the links added to it

i dont think you did

Quote:
He was driving a Nissan Pulsar at 170km/h in a 100km/h zone on the winding Brandy Creek Road,
that was taken from the ninemsn news link

so was it a straight road no it was not

and as for the road works side of it if it is posted at 40 klm then that is what you are asked to do if you get done for over so boo hoo to you you dont look at the speed signs and then deserve to get done

why do people have such an issue with the " car got impounded syndrome " if you are stupid enough ( i am sometimes ) then deal with the results of your own actions and don't and winge about the fact

get over it and learn from it i say

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-01-2009, 02:56 PM   #32
SVD

Funnily enough im an old member of the NDSOC :P and i have a very good feeling i know who it was, oh wait, he's from narre north, yep i know the guy :P and let me tell you this, he is a very capable driver and his car is also very capable, but that's not an excuse, take what happened to Peter Brock for example, happens.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:58 PM   #33
SVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimus

i dont think you did

and as for the road works side of it if it is posted at 40 klm then that is what you are asked to do if you get done for over so boo hoo to you you dont look at the speed signs and then deserve to get done

why do people have such an issue with the " car got impounded syndrome " if you are stupid enough ( i am sometimes ) then deal with the results of your own actions and don't and winge about the fact

see but i have seen instances where its got a 40km sign(road works) then about 50mtrs up the road and 80km sign uncovered, does that mean i can do the posted 80? even though it is still a road work area???
Old 06-01-2009, 03:18 PM   #34
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVD
see but i have seen instances where its got a 40km sign(road works) then about 50mtrs up the road and 80km sign uncovered, does that mean i can do the posted 80? even though it is still a road work area???
if you have a good read you will find that a posted speed limit is from the sign not from when you see it so yes if you see that you can get up to the posted limit and if it drops again in another 50 mtrs you then need to drop to the posted speed at the sign

if you get done i say you need to carry a camera that post the date and time on it then use that to fight it in court

that is only my interpretation of how it is i could be wrong there "redrum could answer this better than me "

but getting back on topic this was a winding road and he got done for 170 kph so what is the problem he done the hooning and admitted it by paying the $600 to get his car back the following allowable day and not fighting it

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-01-2009, 03:35 PM   #35
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Alright i got a good question for you, its 2 lanes either way, the left side of the road has 100km/h sign facing me and the right side of the road has a 80km/h sign facing me also, does that mean I can go 100km/h in the left lane?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #36
geehaa
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
Alright i got a good question for you, its 2 lanes either way, the left side of the road has 100km/h sign facing me and the right side of the road has a 80km/h sign facing me also, does that mean I can go 100km/h in the left lane?
As a basic risk management strategy you'd go 80

If you wanted an argument (in the event you got caught) go 100

As for the old man doing 170 - nuts, unless you're on a dedicated track. pretty simple really...
Old 06-01-2009, 03:42 PM   #37
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimus

i dont think you did

Missing the point...
Old 06-01-2009, 04:19 PM   #38
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXR6
Just because he was pulling 170 doesn't mean an accident was surely impending. Does anyone know where, when, how, conditions (driver, road, weather, etc) this occured?
How about you read the article?

He was driving a Nissan Pulsar at 170km/h in a 100km/h zone on the winding Brandy Creek Road, Warragul, east of Melbourne on January 1 when he was caught.

Acting Sergeant Carlo Visser from Warragul Police Station said the road where the men were nabbed was six metres wide and winding.

That's all you want to see on a winding narrow road when you're coming the other way, some coot with his hat on backwards in a ricer doing in excess of 170kph.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #39
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
This is a very common situation. The answer is you can travel at the posted speed in any lane (assuming not double line etc) in the direction to which the posted speed refers.

Signs for the other direction are irrelevent.

And yes this is law not logic so it does not have be be safe or make sense.....
Old 06-01-2009, 04:30 PM   #40
XR8GRL