Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-04-2008, 06:14 PM   #1
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Insurance for a 16 year old?

Is it possible to have 3rd party insurance for a 16 year old? I want to buy my own car and have it insured 3rd party, but Dad says they won't because I'm not legally allowed to drive (I got my Ls though).

The reason i want my own car with insurance is because Dad wont change his Insurance to have me listed as a driver on his car, so meaning when i drive the car isn't covered then its going to be coming out of my pocket because i'm the only one with saved up money.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.

Last edited by 90sFTW; 15-04-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sFTW
Is it possible to have 3rd party insurance for a 16 year old? I want to buy my own car and have it insured 3rd party, but Dad says they won't because I'm not legally allowed to drive (I got my Ls though).

The reason i want my own car with insurance is because Dad wont change his Insurance to have me listed as a driver on his cae, so meaning when i drive the car isn't covered then its going to be coming out of my pocket because i'm the only one with saved up money.

Thanks.
Seems a couple of issues here.
1st issue Leagally speaking (not morally or otherwise) If your father does let you drive his car with his permission, it comes out of his posket..not yours, I know however when its family etc etc but that is Legally.

2nd issue.
I see no reason whatsoever you cannot buy a car and insure for third party property in your name. You just can't be listed as a driver until you are licenced. You need to talk to indiviual companies to see thier wording on the learners issue.
Old 15-04-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While driving on your L's you're covered under your parents name, which means you don't need to be listed as a driver on their car, because you're their responsibility and any actions you do in the car is under the supervision of them, so you won't need to get separate insurance.

that's with RACQ, might be different with other companies
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 06:26 PM   #4
Kryton

according to the Document i have here from VicRoads - YOU cannot register a Light Vehicle until the minimum age of 17 years.
therefor im going to say you will have next to no hope of getting insurance either.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 06:32 PM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
according to the Document i have here from VicRoads - YOU cannot register a Light Vehicle until the minimum age of 17 years.
therefor im going to say you will have next to no hope of getting insurance either.
You only need an insurable interest to insure something. Sometimes that means ownership, sometimes it means possession. Ring an insurance broker and see what they have to say - anything you get from this htread is specualtion, and it sounds like you need actual advice.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 06:33 PM   #6
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, you gotta be 17 to register a car in your name.

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #7
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
Seems a couple of issues here.
1st issue Leagally speaking (not morally or otherwise) If your father does let you drive his car with his permission, it comes out of his posket..not yours, I know however when its family etc etc but that is Legally.

2nd issue.
I see no reason whatsoever you cannot buy a car and insure for third party property in your name. You just can't be listed as a driver until you are licenced. You need to talk to indiviual companies to see thier wording on the learners issue.
1st:

It will if smash his car by accident (Which i really hope doesn't happen), the insurance company won't pay out because I'm not a listed driver and I'm stuck with paying repairs on a car, possibly more.

Quote:
While driving on your L's you're covered under your parents name, which means you don't need to be listed as a driver on their car, because you're their responsibility and any actions you do in the car is under the supervision of them, so you won't need to get separate insurance.

that's with RACQ, might be different with other companies
Dad is with AAMI but i really hope that is the case, i don't want to foot the bill of a multi thousand dollar repair.

Quote:
I'll be turning 17 this september.

Thanks boys!

EDIT: $457 a year for 3rd party insurance on a $3900 car when i'm 17. Dads is $450 for full comprehensive on a car that cost $23000. Screwed over hardcore.

I think i'll wait till im 18.
Quote:

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.

Last edited by 90sFTW; 15-04-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old 15-04-2008, 06:46 PM   #8
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
1st:

It will if smash his car by accident (Which i really hope doesn't happen), the insurance company won't pay out because I'm not a listed driver and I'm stuck with paying repairs on a car, possibly more.

Dad is with AAMI but i really hope that is the case, i don't want to foot the bill of a multi thousand dollar repair.
From the aami PDS:
http://www.aami.com.au/products/poli...ar_comp_b8.asp

If your car was being used for free driving tuition. NO

But you or a driver named on the most recent of your insurance schedule and renewal notice were a passenger. YES

So from that If you are a learner and your father or another named driver is a passenger with you...you are covered.

This may change once you get your licence though.
Old 15-04-2008, 06:48 PM   #9
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good luck mate, yeah won;t be much cheaper when you're 18 either, once you get off your P's though it should go down, get your dad or mum to give AAMI a ring and ask them about it, it should be the same with all insurance companies.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 07:15 PM   #10
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
In NSW there is no age restriction for rego all you need is adequate ID

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 07:23 PM   #11
3vXT

I'm with GIO and my car is covered if i'm supervising a learner driver.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 07:25 PM   #12
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Alright, thanks very much guys, you've all been helpful.

Out of curiosity, i checked how much full comp insurance on a BA Fairlane (2003) would cost me when i'm 18 (If i hold off buying a car till then, i'd have some nice dosh built up). $2400 a year, what the hell?!
Quote:

Old 15-04-2008, 09:51 PM   #13
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
EDIT: $457 a year for 3rd party insurance on a $3900 car when i'm 17. Dads is $450 for full comprehensive on a car that cost $23000. Screwed over hardcore.

I think i'll wait till im 18.
Wont make much difference, if any, because you are a high-risk until you are 25.
Got any more info on the car?

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 10:19 PM   #14
Sonik
Banned

Yeah you're covered as long as your dads in the car. My mum recently insured her car with AAMI and anyone driving the car while on L's is covered.
Sonik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 10:20 PM   #15
Kil4Collingwood

Yep I'm with suncorp and any learners under my supervision in my car are covered, they don't need to be named on the policy.
Kil4Collingwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 10:28 PM   #16
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kil4Collingwood
Yep I'm with suncorp and any learners under my supervision in my car are covered, they don't need to be named on the policy.
Same, with my old man and AAMI.
Didnt cost any extra either.

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2008, 10:32 PM   #17
yabby6
The Convert

Quote:
Alright, thanks very much guys, you've all been helpful.

Out of curiosity, i checked how much full comp insurance on a BA Fairlane (2003) would cost me when i'm 18 (If i hold off buying a car till then, i'd have some nice dosh built up). $2400 a year, what the hell?!
That's about the standard price I believe.. Pretty much the same as what I was paying when I first got my license. If you've got a clean insurance & license history you should be able to shop around a bit but don't expect to find it too much cheaper.

I had a mate with AAMI when we first got our licenses and he done some sort of defensive driving / the like, drive course through the AAMI. As soon as he completed it he jumped up 1 rating and and saved a few hundred dollars on his premium.

Edit: 6 months after I got my first car & insurance, I added a girl my age to the policy, saved nearly $500 a year. Apparently girls are lower risk drivers and something along the lines of spreading the risk category over more drivers, I don't remember exact science behind it but it was a huge saving. That was with RACV.

Last edited by yabby6; 15-04-2008 at 10:36 PM. Reason: forgot something
yabby6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 02:47 AM   #18
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

Just thought i'd add that 17 is the legal age of when your signature becomes valid on a legal document, thus being why you can't register a car under 17, and i believe that this is australia wide.
5.0 ED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 04:16 AM   #19
jeremyevans

intersting reading because you can only apply for a 'provisional licence' in the uk on your 17th birthday. but it does drastically go down when you become 21 (hence four years no- claims bonus)

but the downfall with us is when you start modifying your ride and the younger you are, the more you're penalised.

most young drivers go on mam/dad's insurance as a 'named driver' and build up their 'no claims' until they are 21.

but i do feel sorry for the younger drivers. because insurance brokers equate that being young, you're going to be reckless and have a crash and you're a liability.

if you mod your ride (spent loads of dosh) and look after it. you're not going to be racing around like a loony and trying to smash it up.

younger drivers in the uk are paying twice the value (and even 3 times) for road insurance as to what their cars are worth.
jeremyevans is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2008, 06:35 PM   #20
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Tonko]
Wont make much difference, if any, because you are a high-risk until you are 25.
Got any more info on the car?
Dad's car is a 2003 Mazda 323 Astina, the car i was looking at was a 1996 EFII Falcon GLi factory 5 speed.

Once again, thanks much everyone.
Quote:

Old 16-04-2008, 07:02 PM   #21
guy351
Mr EFicient

sorry to keep draggin this on but i had the same problem, i couldnt register the car under my name because i didnt hav a license number but with the insurance i put it under mine and dads name but it just came out of my bank account.
guy351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post