Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 04-02-2008, 11:27 PM   #1
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

Default Another Focus specific audio question

I know i'm pushing the borderline here but i thought I'd ask here first seeing as the audio forum is mostly falcon owners.

the focus (namely the 6000 unit in the LR) has, as far as i've been informed, two earth wires (two wires supposedly going to earth to word it better)

I know a few of you here have installed decks yourselves and I'm interested to know what you've done in this case.

According to the "diagram" i got here at focusfanatics they're the black with green trace and black with yellow trace. Both are situated in the same plug.

What's the go?, is one unused, to they both ground to the chassis? am i better connecting it directly to the chassis? am i asking too many questions? :

Also, on that american diagram, there is only one connection on the harness 3, which is the one going to the speed sensor (i don't use [hate] the avc and therefore have no intention on using it even if it is possible)
But on my plug there's a couple of wires. What are they?

i have a few more questions but they're purely audio forum so i wont bug you with em.

Hooray for more amature auto-electronics!

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2008, 08:49 PM   #2
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Heat shrink off the original earth wires to be safe, and run your own earth.

Make the earth as short as possible, and be sure to sand / razor blade / remove any paint off the earthing location to be sure of a good earth point. Try not to remove any more paint then required.

After the earth is affixed apply a SMALL amount of grease to prevent rust on any unpainted surface if you like.

Factory earths generally arent the best on radios because they dont have to be. If you use the factory earth with your new higher powered HU it may induce noise into the system. Especially if its a long run of wire crossing by multiple power sources.
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2008, 12:25 AM   #3
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

i hadn't thought about that. thanks!.

when i did my footwell lights, i found that there's quite a lot of metal frame work behind the dash. shouldn't be too hard.

Thanks again.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post