Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-11-2007, 07:50 PM   #1
ardei
WP Fiesta LX

Default Sydney to Melbourne. Driving Princes Highway in 1 day.

This Monday I'll be leaving Sydney to drive down to Melbourne. Spending two nights before driving back up to Sydney on Wednesday.

I originally had planned to just travel down the Hume Hwy and back as it was the shortest and most direct. However I figured that I may want to do the Princes Hwy (coastal route) on the way down as the Hume Hwy is pretty boring and I haven't had a chance to see Eastern Victoria (or any Victoria tbh) yet.

I'm planning on leaving at 4am and arriving in St Kilda, Melbourne in the evening (i.e. 6-7pm). I don't really plan on doing any sightseeing, just what I can see out of the car window since I've been down as far as Eden on the Princes Hwy. I plan to take as many sane breaks as possible, don't want to fatigue myself and I'll be doing it in the Fiesta.

So basically is it possible or is it even recommended? Most tourist guides on the net suggest up to 6days or more for this particular route but it is with lots of sightseeing and things to do.

Also I plan to do the Great Ocean Road on Tuesday and drive back up the Hume Hwy all of Wednesday so fatigue is an issue. I'd just like to get a chance to see as much possible as I do this.

Cheers.

Old 23-11-2007, 08:04 PM   #2
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It will take a lot longer than that to do the princes hwy because of all the traffic lights. Go the Hume. It will take 10 to 11 hours, more if there are road works or some other delays.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2007, 08:19 PM   #3
J_Tank
Bring on the Boss

All in a Fiesta..? I hope you're on the small side... :
J_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2007, 08:20 PM   #4
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

with one stop for fuel and to grab a bite to eat you can do the hume in 8-9 hours ;)
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2007, 08:24 PM   #5
cuz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drove back to Melb from Sydeny years ago down the Princes highway. It was a long trip but I felt better after it than I did on the Hume on the way up!
The hume is just a boring, mind-numbing experience over that distance. While it was much longer, the coast road is a much better drive.
Good luck
Old 23-11-2007, 08:25 PM   #6
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardei
This Monday I'll be leaving Sydney to drive down to Melbourne. Spending two nights before driving back up to Sydney on Wednesday.

I originally had planned to just travel down the Hume Hwy and back as it was the shortest and most direct. However I figured that I may want to do the Princes Hwy (coastal route) on the way down as the Hume Hwy is pretty boring and I haven't had a chance to see Eastern Victoria (or any Victoria tbh) yet.

I'm planning on leaving at 4am and arriving in St Kilda, Melbourne in the evening (i.e. 6-7pm). I don't really plan on doing any sightseeing, just what I can see out of the car window since I've been down as far as Eden on the Princes Hwy. I plan to take as many sane breaks as possible, don't want to fatigue myself and I'll be doing it in the Fiesta.

So basically is it possible or is it even recommended? Most tourist guides on the net suggest up to 6days or more for this particular route but it is with lots of sightseeing and things to do.

Also I plan to do the Great Ocean Road on Tuesday and drive back up the Hume Hwy all of Wednesday so fatigue is an issue. I'd just like to get a chance to see as much possible as I do this.

Cheers.
Last time we drove Brisbane to Melb it took 19 hours , you should make the little run south in 9 or less easily.
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2007, 08:26 PM   #7
BAWagonWheels

stop , go, stop, go, beep, go, stop, go = princes hwy = more petrol

better off do hume hwy and spend more quality time in vic.
BAWagonWheels is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2007, 08:52 PM   #8
Tribal
OCD keeps me busy...

I've done the round trip on the bike - Melb to Syd on the Hume in 8 hours, and then Syd to Melb down the coast in 12 hours - recommend the Hume...
Tribal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2007, 11:30 PM   #9
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

+1 for the Hume...

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2007, 11:34 PM   #10
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Yeah, Hume is easy. Sydney -> Albury, stop, get fuel + food. Albury -> Melb. Can be done in 9 hours. I used to try and stretch it to the BP/Maccas at Glenroyan and bypass Albury, depends on how your car uses fuel.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2007, 12:28 AM   #11
RapidBF
Rapid BF XR8 Ute

I used to live in Orbost, about halfway between Mebourne and Canberra. I can't vouch for what the trip from Canberra to Sydney is like, but Canberra to Orbost is a good run. If you're going to go that way though, I would recommend going from canberra to Cooma, down to Bombala then through to Cann River, avoid Eden Merimbula etc. (Orbost to Canberra is about a 3 hour drive). Orbost to Melbourne is an easy 4 hour drive. Yes, as some people have pointed out, there are some traffic lights, but its not too bad and I find it breaks up the drive a little, not to mention you will be passing through some of the most beautiful scenery in Vic. All up I would say you wouldn't be adding any more than 2 hours to your trip, if that.
RapidBF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2007, 10:23 PM   #12
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd go the hume, I don't find it that boring. It's quicker and still takes about 10 hours if you stop for lunch.

I recently went up and left around 6am from Eastern Melb (40 mins from city) and got to sydney at around 5pm. Stopped at gundagai for lunch, filled up once or twice on petrol and a short stop every couple hours to stretch the legs.

Most people think it's boring but I didn't mind the scenery anyway.
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2007, 11:33 PM   #13
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Ive done that trip several times...from 2 hours south of Sydney...Tthe coastal route took 9 hours as I travelled over night and had the road all to myself

I did the Hume first time...but never agaain...it's the most boring bland road I've ever driven...

The coastal route is much more scenic and is a nice drive.
Old 26-11-2007, 12:09 AM   #14
BlackLS
yum

The night + UHF makes for a quick run down the Hume. Narellan Rd overpass to Vic border at Albury according to Google maps is 501kms so 4.5 hours is do-able. The few roadworks and 80kms sections will probably kill the trip time tho.

Thing is if you have a day to do the trip and your doing the trip in a Fiesta, then perhaps do a trip there or back on the coast road.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 02:04 PM   #15
AusM
AusMotorsport

Another vote for the Hume. The coast road is much longer and you don't have time to enjoy it. Go the Hume, detour to the Vic wineries around Taminick/Rutherglen or Milawa Cheese factory or Brown Brothers vineyard, all fairly close to the highway. Glenrowan/Kelly museum for kids maybe. Could be a good lunch destination if you're leaving at 4am...
AusM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 02:09 PM   #16
Scott

Go the Hume but make sure the cruise is well and truly on once you cross the border. They are speed nazi's down there compared to NSW.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2007, 02:18 PM   #17
crochunter
440cube Dart

Yeah go the Hume. sit on 120Kays all the way. Get there in no time.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:36 PM   #18
Me_3

I did the run from Taree -> Melbourne in one day via the hume in about 14 hours towing a car trailer.. Sitting on the speed limit the whole way..

Was a good drive, on great roads.. (Hey, compared to FNQ, anything is good :P)

Enjoy the drive!
Me_3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2007, 11:07 PM   #19
ardei
WP Fiesta LX

Thanks, I did the drive with no dramas.

Left at 5:30am on Monday and took many many breaks (stopping every hour or so + lunch + sightseeing) and arrived in St Kilda at 7:00pm. On the way back was quicker but still conservative: Left Melbourne at 8:30am and arrived home at 6:30pm, breaking every two hours + lunch break.

NSW is seriously lacking in the roads department. From the border to Melbourne, it's 110, dual carriage way and the motorway system in Melbourne is so simple and straightforward that anyone could get to any part of Victoria without looking at a map. Whilst every few kilometres on the Hume in NSW involved slowing down to 100 then 80 then 40 then come to a complete stop for trucks to cross the road (roadworks). Then back to 110 for a quick spurt before slowing down again...

Did 2300km in 3 days (Day 1:Syd-Melb Day 2: Melb-12 Apostles-Melb Day 3:Melb-Syd) . All in the Fiesta with no cruise. The Fiesta is quite loud at highway speeds (road, tyre, suspension and wind noise), obviously not a highway car and the fuel consumption wasn't the best ~7.0L/100km with aircon on. At around 85-100km/h, even when thrashing, the Fiesta only does about 6.2L/100km but if you stick to the 110km/h speed limit, the fuel economy suffers. Also according to the advisory speed signs in Vic, when I'm doing an indicated 100km/h, I'm actually doing 95km/h and at an indicated 110km/h I'm actually doing 105km/h which is good I suppose because of the speed cameras in Vic.

Never again will I do the Great Ocean Road on my own - took much longer than expected and didn't have time to appreciate the Twelve Apostles as I had to head back for Melbourne.

I loved Melbourne so much though, I'd seriously consider moving there within the next two years. Will be doing this trip again with some mates come Grand Prix time.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:24 PM   #20
scoupedy

Don't do it!!!! The grey nomads will drive you crazy and it adds about five hours only worth it if you can stop off over night and check things out
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post