Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-10-2007, 06:42 PM   #1
Scams

Default Great Drives in N.S.W

Has anyone got any great driving road ideas. I am looking at going for a trip but do not know there?

Old 06-10-2007, 06:50 PM   #2
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Putty Rd is quite good, heading to Singleton.
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 06:54 PM   #3
Paxton
Cobblers!

Royal National Park. Beautiful scenery, but not for the faint of heart. I haven't been through the National Park in proper in years.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 06:55 PM   #4
J_Tank
Bring on the Boss

check out the route the Euro boys are taking this weekend. Or there's always the National park...
J_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 06:58 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

Up around Tumbarumba etc is great if youre in Southern NSW, dont do it at night though as the roos are everywhere.

Thredbo area is good too.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:58 PM   #6
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In addition to Putty Rd. I quite like Wisemans Ferry rd.. Nice twisties and nice greeeen scenery. Old pac hwy. is good too.

Others that I like :-

-Bells Line of Rd. heading to Lithgow.
-Macquarie Pass (Illawarra hwy.)

I havent been, but apparently the roads on snowy mountains are good.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 06:59 PM   #7
Scams

Has anyone done coffs harbour to armidale waterfall way?
Old 06-10-2007, 06:59 PM   #8
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

threadbo to kahnkoban to tumut....NSW greatest drive.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:00 PM   #9
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

hey scams
sydney to pete's ridge via wisemans ferry (although the ferry ride isn't lowered car friendly at all)

old pacific hwy, from hornsby to gosford (a really good pie shop along the way as well )

as previously mentioned, royal national park, a bit bumpy though but good and
continue through the nat park through coalcliff austimere etc to wollongong

mittagong to wollongong lots of twisty winding roads down side of mountains :

and of course the trip to bathurst

hope this helps ya enjoy
dan b :
SNB05T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 07:03 PM   #10
ardei
WP Fiesta LX

Old Pacific Highway is my all time favourite driving road in NSW. The section where the overtaking lane opens up (heading Southbound) is pure ecstasy.

Putty Road is good but per km doesn't give as many thrills and you have to travel somewhat just to get there and back (unless you live in Windsor). Also, needs an overtaking lane in the really twisty stuff - ruins your whole drive when the best section is slowed down by someone you can't overtake.

Wiseman's Ferry Road is nice - a faster, more open sort of twisties.

Galston Gorge is challenging (in a good way) when you're pushing it. More of an adrenalin rush type or road, than a 'fun' road.

Royal National Park is always a good one, but it has quite a bit of traffic generally and sometimes seems just a bit too short.

Macquarie Pass is similar to Galston Gorge, except it's faster in most sections - hence why it's considered one of the most dangerous roads in NSW. However it hasn't got that much of a fun factor as other roads like Old Pac and Putty. But it is short and you can do a few runs of it with ease.

Kangaroo Valley - This is more demanding than some roads (narrow, tight corners, no lines marked) but can be fun. I've only done this road at normal speeds (with grandparents in the car) but it definitely had potential.

And there's this one road out of Wollongong, heading West (I think it's called Mount -something- Road). That's a bit like the Kangaroo Valley Road too, you realise that you need to exercise caution if you don't want to end up off the cliff. This would be just a road to cross off if you're in the area, not really worth the drive JUST for this road. (It takes about 5mins to complete).

I've heard Bells Line of Road is a good road, haven't been out that way though.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:52 PM   #11
Scams

I might give the putty a go
Old 06-10-2007, 09:04 PM   #12
6t6m

I've done Coffs to Armidale about twice per week in the last couple of months, its a really good driving road, but the same advice goes about driving at night... roos everywhere.
I really enjoy the Dorrigo Range, can get really into the spirit of it but still being safe at the same time, would highly recommend that drive. Should be able to cover it in two hours, not breaking the law and not getting caught in too much traffic
6t6m is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 09:10 PM   #13
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardei
Kangaroo Valley - This is more demanding than some roads (narrow, tight corners, no lines marked) but can be fun. I've only done this road at normal speeds (with grandparents in the car) but it definitely had potential.
From Nowra end, it's a fantastic drive of tight twisties and great scenery. Done it several times in the XR8 (never done it the opposite way) and provided you do it with your head screwed on, can still be a safe and exciting drive. Once you get into the valley, some great local shops to stop at too.

However, there's one hairpin that gets me every single time and it's the only time my car has ever understeered.

I don't recall the road but it's a Canberra to Batemans Bay road that also had me on the seat of my pants, but not as scenic as Kangaroo Valley.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 09:15 PM   #14
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
I don't recall the road but it's a Canberra to Batemans Bay road that also had me on the seat of my pants, but not as scenic as Kangaroo Valley.
Kings Highway. Takes you through the Clyde.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 09:15 PM   #15
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Kings Highway? I'm guessing you're thinking of Clyde Mountain with those awesome hairpins? I love that road. Unfortunately all it takes is one truck or car to ruin the drive. I was really ****ed off when I took my WRX for it's first run down there and had a slow moving truck. My TX5 used to carve it up good so had big expectations.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 09:17 PM   #16
HOON69
Banned

canberra to batemans bay via braidwood

gong to nowra

and the drive to the snowy's is a good one too

i like driving the back roads around southern tablelands
head down to mossvale thru robinson area and around the back ways towards the gong,then back up to sydney again,we did that one arvo/night cause we were bored was beautiful.
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 09:26 PM   #17
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Kings Highway. Takes you through the Clyde.
Have you taken the XR5 for a burn yet? Really is a bit of road best done in a smallish car. The TX5 was great so yours should do heaps better.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 11:00 PM   #18
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

A lot depends on your "time frame" 1 day , w/end or long w/end .

Lithgow - Bathurst (go for drive around the track , but stick to the limit , cops everywhere & a picnic on the mountain ) Cowra , Boorowa or Young , Yass , Canberra & back. good all round trip .
- - - - - - -
Lithgow , Mudgee , Gulgong .
- - - - - - -
As mentioned , Gundagai , Tumut , Tumbarumba , Batlow .

*** Or a good one is "place a Map on the table , close your eyes , & point" . ( Not trying to be funny ) , there are so many nice places , it doesn't matter which way you head .

The next time you want to go for a trip , do the same thing .

Norm

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 11:42 PM   #19
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Nice routes there norm, travelled those many times are good this time of the year.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:46 AM   #20
cupic
Nikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardei
Old Pacific Highway is my all time favourite driving road in NSW. The section where the overtaking lane opens up (heading Southbound) is pure ecstasy.

Putty Road is good but per km doesn't give as many thrills and you have to travel somewhat just to get there and back (unless you live in Windsor). Also, needs an overtaking lane in the really twisty stuff - ruins your whole drive when the best section is slowed down by someone you can't overtake.

Wiseman's Ferry Road is nice - a faster, more open sort of twisties.

Galston Gorge is challenging (in a good way) when you're pushing it. More of an adrenalin rush type or road, than a 'fun' road.

Royal National Park is always a good one, but it has quite a bit of traffic generally and sometimes seems just a bit too short.

Macquarie Pass is similar to Galston Gorge, except it's faster in most sections - hence why it's considered one of the most dangerous roads in NSW. However it hasn't got that much of a fun factor as other roads like Old Pac and Putty. But it is short and you can do a few runs of it with ease.

And there's this one road out of Wollongong, heading West (I think it's called Mount -something- Road). That's a bit like the Kangaroo Valley Road too, you realise that you need to exercise caution if you don't want to end up off the cliff. This would be just a road to cross off if you're in the area, not really worth the drive JUST for this road. (It takes about 5mins to complete).

I've heard Bells Line of Road is a good road, haven't been out that way though.

I think the road your talking west of wollongong is
Mount Keira Road
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2007, 05:52 PM   #21
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scams
Has anyone done coffs harbour to armidale waterfall way?
Yes. Had a thrifty BF2 XR6 when I did it. Best drive ever!!!

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2007, 08:58 PM   #22
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Mt Keira Road is an excellent lead down to the coast from Appin Road and Picton Road. There's a nicely setup lookout up top with a cafe and restaurant.

Kangaroo Valley Road leading through from Berry to Kangaroo Valley or vice versa. Quite challenging, undulating and off camber road sections, with plenty of very tight direction changes, dips and crests. Sort of like Galston Gorge, but more of it and better scenery.

Moss Vale Road out of Kangaroo Valley - climing twisty sections with the scenic Fitzroy Falls National Park which is about ten minutes or so out of Kangaroo Valley.

Wombeyan Caves Road is also another nice challenging stretch of road I've been told. It leads northwest out from Mittagong.

Bathurst to Sydney via Tarana Rd and Lithgow.

Wollombi Rd to Cessnock via Peats Ridge.

Alpine Way through Kosciuszko National Park.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:18 PM   #23
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks for all the roads fellas. just been wondering this myself! will definitely be taking a few of the roads mentioned!!
Old 07-10-2007, 11:04 PM   #24
XR8TeddyBear
Natures OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse

Wollombi Rd to Cessnock via Peats Ridge.
Definatly a great road to drive. Also the road between Tamworth and Walacia (where TimberTown is) (sp?) is an excellent run.
XR8TeddyBear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2007, 11:55 PM   #25
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Berowra Waters Road has some surprises. Only thing about great roads if you're a driver the "greater" they are the less you appreciate them because you have to concentrate on driving. OK if you're a passenger.

How about something different? Some of the best scenery can't be seen from a car. Three train journeys out of Sydney have some of the best in the world IMO.

Sydney to Gosford - sit on the RH side of the train from Sydney.
Sydney to Gerringong - sit on the LH side of the train from Sydney.
Sydney to Lithgow - sit on LH side of train from Sydney.

Nothing beats coming out of a tunnel at speed and looking straight down at lots of water or a huge gorge!
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 01:28 AM   #26
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Oxley Highway is one of the best in NSW, but the Snowy Mountains is also brilliant. Long way to get to either, though. Similarly, if you're down near the Snowys, have a run on the Bonang Highway - awesome. Or go from Cooma down Brown (Undy) Mountain, then Tathra, from Tathra go up the coast road to Bermagui (they tarred it a few years ago). Then from Batemans Bay go up the Clyde to Braidwood, then backroads to Goulburn. From Goulburn take the back way to Marulan via Bungonia, go past the truck weigh station on the freeway then turn right and head north-east through the Southern Highlands. Go down Macquarie Pass from Robertson, north up the freeway then into North Wollongong, take the coast road up through Thirroul, Scarborough etc. then Royal National Park home to Sydney.

Bells Line of Road is more fun going east than west. A nice drive is to go early and head up the Great Western Highway over the mountains, then go down to Jenolan Caves (really twisty - watch out for tourist buses coming the other way). Stop at Caves House, do the walking track around the Blue Pool. Head out the other side, go to Oberon, then Bathurst. Drive around the track (watch out though, there's almost always a radar car lurking there). Then head back to Lithgow, and get on Bells Line of Road back down to Richmond. Watch out for the camera at Kurrajong Heights (I recommend a stop for an orange whip at the pub there, sensational views).

If you go up the Putty Road, turn right to Broke, then Wollombi, then come back down to Calga Interchange, then Old Pacific Highway back to Sydney. It's a sweet run too, you might find that by the time you get back to the Pacific you're a bit worn out and happy to just cruise back down the freeway - Sunday afternoon is not the time to drive back into Sydney on the freeway though. Do it Saturday, or get away real early on Sunday so you're back in town by 2pm or so.

I do these roads on the bike though - far more fun than any cage
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2007, 08:11 AM   #27
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've found the road from home to the pub is pretty good.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post