Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 14-09-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
nlfbt8

Default Question Re: Advancetrac and cruise incompatibility on LR Zetec

Hey All ....

Just a quick question;
Everywhere I've read and searched these forums, it has mentioned that the VDC-Advancetrac and the factory cruise control are incompatible with each other on the LR Focus (and LS too, I believe). My partner has a Zetec R, to which I have installed cruise control, but i'm just wondering what is preventing me from also installing the Advancetrac? It's not like that section of the loom has "dissappeared", just because I've installed cruise control! :

Perhaps I'm missing something ... any ideas?!

nlfbt8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2007, 07:13 PM   #2
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

This will be an interesting thread!

I don't know the answer, but my understanding was always that AdvanceTrac couldn't be retrofitted.

I think in fact that bit of loom has in fact "disappeared", because it wasn't there in the first place if the car wasn't fitted with AdvanceTrac from the factory. I'd love to retrofit it to mine, but doubt it can be done
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2007, 08:05 PM   #3
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Alli know is that advance track cant be fitted cause of the clash of computers on the car.

And im pretty sure that you cant just get Advance Track Fitted aftermarket, im 90% sure that it has to be done in the ECU, special looms for sensors and a special computer installed and that all ties into the ECU.

Zetec would be better off explaining it to you.. he knows stuff.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2007, 08:05 PM   #4
nlfbt8

Hmmm ... the plot thickens. I've just dug up the LR Focus options brochure, and it states that Advancetrac is for manual transmission vehicles only??
Old 14-09-2007, 08:14 PM   #5
nlfbt8

I think you're proberly going to be right though about it being a different loom / ecu. I would've at least thought that it would be available on auto though. My partner's is Auto, so that rules out a retrofit anyway. Bummer.

Oh well ... my two main projects now will be Trip Computer and (possibly) Climate Control.
Old 14-09-2007, 08:51 PM   #6
melbzetec

9 sensors and a different brake booster as well I think
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 14-09-2007, 09:26 PM   #7
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlfbt8
I think you're proberly going to be right though about it being a different loom / ecu. I would've at least thought that it would be available on auto though. My partner's is Auto, so that rules out a retrofit anyway. Bummer.

Oh well ... my two main projects now will be Trip Computer and (possibly) Climate Control.

yer thought so..

With the Climate control apparently the whole HVAC system has to be changed in the car. as in the WHOLE system. good luck on it though

i know the Trip computer will fit as i have one

Old 14-09-2007, 11:02 PM   #8
tabaccs

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn

i know the Trip computer will fit as i have one
Does this cost much to do??

ST170 Side Indicators, K&N Panel Filter, Factory Scuff Plates,
Leather/Alloy Handbrake Cover, Body Kit
tabaccs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2007, 11:22 PM   #9
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Umm not sure.. i bought the car like that from Zetec. he apparently foind a wrecked Ghia.. and got it from that...

you need the surround, the indicator stalk, the unit itself, and 2 sensors.

Old 14-09-2007, 11:47 PM   #10
nlfbt8

Yeah, well my chances of finding a wrecked Ghia in SA are next to zero ... so I'm going to get it quoted as new parts through Ford. I doubt there will be much change from $1000. :

I'll proberly start another thread up once I've got the prices and part numbers, and then photograph all of the steps along the way, so that it's easier for other people to install too. I'm hoping that the section of the loom is there for the trip computer, so I don't need to run too many extra wires.

As for the climate control ... I'm sure that wouldn't be a cheap excercise either. I'm guessing it's fairly well self contained though, with the air-boxes etc all behind the lower centre dash section. I'll get it priced up, and take it from there.
Old 14-09-2007, 11:50 PM   #11
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

I wouldn't touch any aftermakret Stability Control with an unlimited length stick. If something goes wrong you can easily end up in a very dangerous situation.
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2007, 07:38 AM   #12
melbzetec

With regard to trip computer and HVAC, don't buy new. Look on www.ebay.co.uk (not .com) and search parts. There are often trip computers and Climate control systems there, and the items are small enough for postage not to be a problem. eg (That trip computer price is still too high. Keep searching as time goes on)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-FOCUS-MK1...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-FOCUS-TRI...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 15-09-2007, 09:20 AM   #13
nlfbt8

Thanks for the tip melbzetec ... will do. I see that some of the completed ones are going for between 30 - 50 pounds, so I'll look into getting one of those. Cheers!
Old 15-09-2007, 08:42 PM   #14
zetec
Zoom Zoom

OK Zetec to the rescue.

VDC AdvanceTrac was only available as a factory option on manual Zetecs (and standard on ST170's). Not available on Autos.

Cruise control is not possible with vehicles fitted with VDC AdvanceTrac due to the cruise control system being incompatible with the Traction control sensors or something like that.

Basically it's only a factory option, you can't retrofit VDC (also known as DSC or ESP).

Regardless of auto, manual, cruise or no cruise, if the car was built without the VDC from factory, it can't be done.

End of story. Sorry to burst the bubble!
Old 18-09-2007, 02:39 PM   #15
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Matt, I have been reading this Thread and thought I have seen an article about ESP/VDC call in what you want. Having found the article in a mag it is quoted that if a car is fitted with a "Four Channel ABS System" it can be upgraded with ESP. Is the Journo "talking out of his ****"?? Does the LR Focus have such a ABS System?

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2007, 05:44 PM   #16
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I'm sure it's technically possible, but I'm also sure it involves a new ECU, not to mention a new steering rack, left seat sensor and all the gear. It's not just some code in the ECU, it's a whole new ECU and associated sensors, wiring and brake cylinders... and once you get that far, how deep are your pockets?!!

One of those mods that by the time you do it, you might as well have gone out and found one with it already fitted for less, or even bought a new Focus.
Old 19-09-2007, 03:03 PM   #17
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Thanks! They tend to simplify things when writing an article and it's not until you look into it further that it's apparent there's more to it. If I eventually get a LT it will definitely be with VDC.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Old 19-09-2007, 11:04 PM   #18
zetec
Zoom Zoom

XR5 Turbo with auto conversion?!!!
Old 21-09-2007, 05:25 PM   #19
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

HEY!!! I've thought about it. Also moving the Sequential Manual shifter over to the Hand Controls as I'm sure it can me done.