Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-07-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
AU1 XR6
AU1 XR6

Default Superlows

Hey all, i got a set of king spring superlows for my au (front & rear), just wondering is it necessary to get new shocks as well or will be alright with just the springs and camber/caster kit?
Also does anyone have any pics of your au with superlows? that would be cool
Cheers.

AU1 XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2007, 05:08 PM   #2
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Have a look on www.aufalcon.com
Theres a massive amount of cars there, a good percentage are lowered too.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2007, 05:13 PM   #3
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is a good question, of which i have had conflicting opinions on. From what i can tell, it is possible to install superlows on standard height shocks, but it is not advisable as it can damage them alot quicker. Also, if you jack the car up, as the shock out extends the spring, it can fall out of place.

Evan
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2007, 06:01 PM   #4
falzoony
Rockin '67

I didn't change my shocks and I have superlows, it rides and looks great.
Check it out here
and also once you put them in allow about a week for them to sag.

'67 XR Wagon
falzoony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2007, 06:04 PM   #5
The Monty
Just slidin'

I changed to Monroe gas GT's on SL. Have smashed the top of one rear so they were replaced, and it gives the hardest damn ride in the world.
I have riden in one with Boge shock (Blackers Fairlane) and it was smooth as buggery. I loved it.
As for stock shocks, you can use them till they die, though they will die rather quickly, but it would be cheaper labour wise to get them done at the same time.
For Camber caster kit, I went one just to be safe.
Old 23-07-2007, 06:42 PM   #6
Oo_xrsx_oO
t i c k f o r d

Put new koni's in mine when the superlows went in, and the car hangs on so well in corners compared to even the stock XR suspension. The ride quality I think is better and feels firm, not bouncy. Didn't put a camber kit in, I think the XRs have enough adjustment. Have done nearly 10,000km with this set up and front tyres have no uneven wear.

Liquid Silver / Manual / Leather / Momo Wheel & Shifter / Premium Sound / Lovells Superlows / Koni Reds / T3 Pursuit Rims / Pacemaker 4499s / 2.5 Inch Exhaust
Oo_xrsx_oO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2007, 06:53 PM   #7
xr6 ausome
Low au

ive got ultra lows and a camber kit and it stayed on standard shocks for months then i got the shocks done later. to tell u the truth the ride is about the same imo
Old 23-07-2007, 07:02 PM   #8
ENVI XR6

Hey, I have superlows in my au and i didnt change the shocks. They have been in there for around a year and all is going well.
Old 23-07-2007, 08:27 PM   #9
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicAU
as the shock out extends the spring, it can fall out of place.

Evan
Have you ever done this? It is certainly impossible for this to ahppen to the front, and next to impossible for the rear.

The correct answers to your questions are:

1. It is not necessary to change shocks, but if they're more than 60,000km old, you should change them anyway,and you might as well get short shaft ones.
2. The need for a camber/castor kit is unknown until you get a wheel alignment after doing the springs. If there's not enough adjustment left on the factory adjusters, then you will need a kit. If there's plenty left, you won't. Most suspension places will tell you that you do need one, because it's more money in their pocket. Most places won't even suggest, but if you ask if you need one, 90% will say yes (easy money).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2007, 08:32 PM   #10
AUTickford
XD197

Get the lowered shocks or you will wish you did when the stockys need replacing down the track,just fitted SLs in my eb with boge turbo struts shocks and it rides smooth as.
AUTickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2007, 08:44 PM   #11
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you do replace them, I'll add my recommendation for Boge shocks, I've got superlows with boge's in my AU and it rides beautifully...
My car is on aufalcon.com too, if you want to see how it sits with superlows.
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2007, 08:52 PM   #12
CMYAU3
Tyre Shredn

when i lowered mine i didnt change the shocks. it was all right for the first few days but as soon as i had a full car load and went over a bumpy road the rear shocks would bottom out.
and after that it would do it do it all the time
i put the lowered shocks in and fixed the problem. the front are still standard no dramas. mine is live axle not irs.
CMYAU3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2007, 09:19 PM   #13
AU1 XR6
AU1 XR6

Thanks guys i think i might just get some new shocks too, sounds like the way too go...ill post some pics up when i get it done, hopefully within the next couple weeks...
AU1 XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2007, 10:08 PM   #14
blacklabel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
If you do replace them, I'll add my recommendation for Boge shocks, I've got superlows with boge's in my AU and it rides beautifully...

Hey, nice Fairmont matty! Looks sweet.
I'm following this thread too, as I wouldn't mind getting my old Futura lowered also.Some good advice here-thanks chaps.
blacklabel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2007, 11:00 PM   #15
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp

Your car has always been my inspiration Matt!! Where did you get your Boge shocks from? I have not heard of this brand before and wouldn't know where to look?

Evan
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post