Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-07-2007, 10:57 PM   #1
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Default AUFalcon Tech - Airbox & Snorkle Info ...

Stage One of New Tech Database - Whats the Best Snorkle / Airbox for AU I6's and V8's

This is Usually the first Mod Done to an AU when the New Owner wants to see a bit more Jump in the Cars Performance before the Mod Bug Bites , HARD.

Snorkles

The Factory Snorkles are Designed for Effiecient Airflow to let the Engine get Fresh Clean O2 into the motor , Of Course , more Air , More Power is beleived to be the key , so of course , opening the Intake Up , is going to allow more Air into the Motor , and therefore boost a Few Things , Like Economy , Power and Throttle Response , Not by Huge Gains , but some People Notice it and some dont (each to their own)

Tickford Snorkel
The First Snorkle over the top of the Old Factory one is usally a Tickford Snorkle , with a Raised Tickford Winged Logo on top , it Is 27% larger than the Stock one , allowing more Cold Air into the motor. Prices range where you go , But can be found on eBay , the Forums 'For Sale' Thread and from the Site Sponsor - Ferntree Gully Autosalvage.

BA XR6 Turbo Snorkel
Once again , Larger than the Standard AU design , but again , allows more air to flow through to the motor. And is 29% Bigger than the standard unit. This Unit does not have the Tickford Logo (as Tickford was superceeded by FPV) and is flat on top , with no visable markings.

SS Inductions Snorkel
These are an aftermarket unit , Designed by SS Inductions , there alot Taller in height , but still have the same diameter as the BA XR6 one.

G&D / Bluepower Airbox

These are Much talked about and the Companys backing them know there stuff. The Kit Includes a K&N Pod Filter and is Fully Customised to suit each model of car. There Proven to increase Horsepower and Economy whilst giving the car an Incredible Induction Noise. Prices are Varied , but contact the Company for a Detail explanation of Performance and cost.

F6 Airbox with Extra Intake
This is much more complicated as it takes a bit of time , the BA/BF Airbox is alot taller (about 5cms) and is simply too high for the AU bonnet. With Modification the Bottom half of the Box , it can fit , and accomodate the Orginal , Tickford or XR6 Snorkel. The F6 also has another Rubber Intake (like the mod most people do to the EECV box, Cutting a 4 x 6 Cm hole in it) that sucks Cold Air in behind the Headlight. Fitting this Personally , i have had a Jump of Horsepower and the Induction noise is also good.

For Further Information , please contact the Site Sponsors ..or Check eBay or the For Sale forums. Feel Free to Add Comments on your Veiws.

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited by AU2PWR; 07-07-2007 at 11:05 PM.
AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2007, 11:25 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Good idea, but just a couple of corrections:

1. Tickford snorkel and BA XR6T snorkel are the exact same size and shape. Even the same part number, but the XR6T one has a BA prefix, and the Tickford one has TVE prefix (TAUTVE 9A624 A).

2. SS inductions is no only taller, but much larger diameter - around 50% larger than XR6T one. You actually have to cut the airbox corner to allow it to fit, and need to open up the opening on the airbox by around 10mm all round.

Apart from that, the info above is not too bad, but honestly, unless you get an edit with the larger air supply, the result is going to be negligible, as the engine pretty much sucks as much air as it needs, and just because you provide more, doesn't mean it will use it. This is where the ultimate air induction systems come in - turbo and/or supercharging.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2007, 09:49 AM   #3
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well i added a 2.5" press bent exhaust with a single muffler and the tickford snorkel and K&N and cut the hole in the front of the airbox
and my fairlane feels alot less choked than it did when i got it stocko
i drove my girlfriends fairlane(identical car) and hers feels VERY choked and bogged down when giving it a boot full..

she also thinks mine feels faster than hers(she has driven both and so have i)
Old 08-07-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

What about JC's poor man's G&D - BA XR8 pod box & lower snorkel - you can even get them pre modified to also have an XR6T snorkel on top.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2007, 09:33 AM   #5
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are a shitload more options then listed, but as stated above without an edit there wont really be a noticable gain
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2007, 03:20 PM   #6
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

Here's an AU BOX not BA :

Here's one with the SS Induction Big Mouth :

1976 XB GS COUPE (waiting to start the rebuild)
KOUPE76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2007, 03:22 PM   #7
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pffttttt, pretty boy ute.

That cover looks pretty good.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2007, 03:27 PM   #8
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

Oh naked one, wait till you see the rest of it once the painter has finished :

1976 XB GS COUPE (waiting to start the rebuild)
KOUPE76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2007, 03:42 PM   #9
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds great Mick. Stop past for a coffee when it's done and I'll give it the Naked Seal Of Approval. Pick up the KK's on the way. The back of your ute should hold a few boxes. :
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post