Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-07-2007, 11:30 PM   #1
fairmont761
Starter Motor

Default performance

hey guys i was wondering how i would be able 2 get my 2000 au fairmont on factory gas 2 go a bit harder and have more torque without spending big bucks

fairmont761 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 11:32 PM   #2
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

whats the budget?
Old 05-07-2007, 11:32 PM   #3
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

is it an I6 or a V8

AU3 220 XR8
CUSTOM PEARL PAINT
LOWERED THEN LOWERED EVEN MORE
ADVANTI 20's
K&N
PORTED MANIFOLDS
TWIN 2 1/2 into 3 inch PIPES
244rwhp
NOW WITH T5 5 SPEED
COBRA CLUTCH AND BILLET LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL

SUZUKI GSX-R 750
BLACK 2007 MODEL
CARBON FIBRE YOSHI PIPE
BLACKAUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 11:53 PM   #4
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKAUXR8
is it an I6 or a V8
LOL, I didn't think Ford relaease a factory gas system on a V8!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 11:55 PM   #5
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

i dont know did they. Ive never had much to do with the gas systems ford bought out.

AU3 220 XR8
CUSTOM PEARL PAINT
ADVANTI 20's
K&N
PORTED MANIFOLDS
244rwhp
NOW WITH T5 5 SPEED

SUZUKI GSX-R 750
BLACK 2007 MODEL
CARBON FIBRE YOSHI PIPE
Old 05-07-2007, 11:58 PM   #6
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

supercharger
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2007, 12:08 AM   #7
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

get ride of the gas, thats the best start
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2007, 12:10 AM   #8
DavesXr8

Change diff ratio
DavesXr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2007, 12:44 AM   #9
fairmont761
Starter Motor

its a 4.0l 6 and theres no money in the back seats. i would like 2 keep it on gas and petrol. i put a pod on it and it had a masive flat spot and idled . i got tolled that if i work the head and do cams the gas mixer may not give it enough gas so i dont think a super or turbo charger would help on gas but if any ideas on more torque/power would help
Old 06-07-2007, 12:47 AM   #10
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

your best bet is an exaust first up. Im not sure how the gas works on those things but an edit will give you a fair bit but not sure if it will work with the gas

AU3 220 XR8
CUSTOM PEARL PAINT
ADVANTI 20's
K&N
PORTED MANIFOLDS
244rwhp
NOW WITH T5 5 SPEED

SUZUKI GSX-R 750
BLACK 2007 MODEL
CARBON FIBRE YOSHI PIPE
Old 06-07-2007, 12:49 AM   #11
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

if your going to get head work done get it built for gas. Tell the head guys your running LPG. If you build the engine to run on gas you will be suprised at how much power you can get out of sausage fuel.

AU3 220 XR8
CUSTOM PEARL PAINT
ADVANTI 20's
K&N
PORTED MANIFOLDS
244rwhp
NOW WITH T5 5 SPEED

SUZUKI GSX-R 750
BLACK 2007 MODEL
CARBON FIBRE YOSHI PIPE
Old 06-07-2007, 12:54 AM   #12
fairmont761
Starter Motor

yea im getin a exhuast next week its a redback system cat back and later pacemaker extracters and hopefuly the pod back on and it be ok if not then i get a k&n air filter. if i do that 2 the head then how would it go on petrol
Old 06-07-2007, 12:58 AM   #13
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmont761
if i do that 2 the head then how would it go on petrol
Not good at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmont761
yea im getin a exhuast next week its a redback system cat back and later pacemaker extracters and hopefuly the pod back on and it be ok if not then i get a k&n air filter.
The cats back system won't do much, and the extractors should give you a bit more torque. The pod should work fine with the gas - just make sure you get it tuned with the Pod on.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2007, 01:07 AM   #14
fairmont761
Starter Motor

well what else should i do as well
Old 06-07-2007, 01:10 AM   #15
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

if your getting headers and a cat back, it would make sence (for me) to get a high flow cat too, the exhaust is only going to flow as well as the smallest part, and Im assuming you'd probably be getting a 2.5" system, so you mayaswell make it 2.5" all the way through to maximise the effect of the rest of the system.

The mixing ring for the factory gas realy chokes the intake, bar boosting it, anything you do to the intake side wont have any effect while that mixing ring is there - thats your restriction.

Best bet would be an SVI setup to keep the gas and still get maximum potential by letting the motor breath like it was supposed to, but it all comes down to what youre budget is, as everything comes at a price.

Also keep the ballance line for the gas in mind before altering any of the intake.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:10 AM   #16
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Turbo/Super charge it. Twin LPG converters and mixers would give enough fuel to make serious power.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2007, 01:23 AM   #17
fairmont761
Starter Motor

whats this svi system and how much. and whats this mixing ring can i get red of it
Old 06-07-2007, 01:35 AM   #18
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

an svi sysem is sequential vapour injection for the gas.

at the moment you would have a ring inside your intake tube right next to the throttle boddy (it will have a hose that goes to your gas convertor). that ring is basicaly like a carbuerator for the gas and it shrinks your total intake capacity by about half.

You cant take it out unless you change the gas system to SVI or get rid of the gas.

SVI will pump gas vapour into each individual cylinder via a series of injectors, the same as your petrol works. By doing this, you will get an increase in economy, and you will remove the restriction caused by the mixer ring opening up the potential for more power too.

But it doesnt come cheap, prices are litteraly all over the shop depending on who you speak to, but your looking at upwards of $1000 to convert your current gas system.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:48 AM   #19
fairmont761
Starter Motor

but i want 2 keep the factory gas because its all in the dash and the petrol gauge swaps over when i click it 2 gas
Old 06-07-2007, 12:25 PM   #20
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

It still will display your gas and petrol levels, aslong as they dont disconnect the gas sender wires, your ECU will still switch the Fuel guage when you git the gas button. All that will happen is your ECU will no longer control the underbonnet side of the gas (it will still think its got controll though), youll need to have your gas button activate the aftermarket system, everything will look the same inside the car, but under the hood you'll have a different convertor, and an extra set of injectors and a LPG injection controler box
Old 06-07-2007, 12:51 PM   #21
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
get ride of the gas, thats the best start
get real some of us get GAS cars so we don't need a 2nd mortgage to drive it. you can get gas cars to go hard too I've seen a 10 second screamer on gas. this guy has a gas car he want to go a bit better if you have sensible answers go for it otherwise let us help him and keep your opinions to your self. that is the sort of answer I'd expect to see in E series
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2007, 12:58 PM   #22
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

here's what i have done to mine and it goes well extractors + redback system XR6 HP cam and ECU which also gives me adaptive shift(bought on ebay for under $200 for both) 3.45 LSD K+N filter tickford intake. the only problem with mine is launching once i'm moving it really moves . the reason mine is slow off the mark is my convertor is stalling up @1650 instaed of other stock AUs i've checked which stall @ about 1850 so my convertor is holding me back. I'm about to get a 2200 stall convertor (don't want a really high stall as I sometimes tow ) and that should solve my stall dramas. I would love an injected gas system but can't afford one ATM but mine goes almost as good on gas as on 98 petrol
Old 06-07-2007, 01:00 PM   #23
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

settle down I was only taking the , but all the same the factory LPG systems are absoloute rubish. its out dated crap, as stated above if you're running it on gas the svi systems are the go. All the same, I'll stick with my petrol, at least until it costs me more then $200 a tank. By the way, what sort of car ran 10's on gas?
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2007, 01:05 PM   #24
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
settle down I was only taking the , but all the same the factory LPG systems are absoloute rubish. its out dated crap, as stated above if you're running it on gas the svi systems are the go. All the same, I'll stick with my petrol, at least until it costs me more then $200 a tank. By the way, what sort of car ran 10's on gas?
it was actually a dedicated drag car saw it about 15 years ago now (can't remember what it was in but i do remember the blown 454) LPG is actually higher octane than petrol it's just a matter of having a good performance system. I agree with you about the factory gas BTW mine is still a convertor and mixer system but it is far better than the factory system. $200 a tank ?? won't be long now
Old 06-07-2007, 01:45 PM   #25
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

gas has a higher octane rating than petrol, but a lower energy/megajouls per litre rating than petrol. The octane rating is basicaly the flash level, or the ammount of compression you need for it to ignite.
so the higher octane you have, the more advance you can run without causing ping, this is where the potential for more power comes in as it is a 'safer' fuel for your bottom end (note - bottom end, gas still burns hotter and ill wear out valve seats faster if thier not hardened), but then you loose out with the lower energy factor.
if you have a high compression motor tuned for gas, it can run quite well, but you wouldnt want to run an agressive gas timing advance on ULP or it will ping its head off and you'll end up breaking something (unless the knock sensor does its work, then you may be ok?)

Even still I spent money on getting my gas system hooked up, but now I've just ripped it off. The $ saving wasnt all that great at the pump, sure it cost twice as much to fill up, but you get twice as far (ok not quite but close enough not to bother me compared to the extra weight saving and throttle body restriction).

If I ever put it back on gas it will be SVI or nothing, and just a little doughnut tank.

Last edited by robbo_yobbo; 06-07-2007 at 01:50 PM.
robbo_yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post