Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-07-2007, 05:55 PM   #1
Slick_5spd
Starter Motor

Default VCT what to do???

hello all just brought a series 3 xr6 vct 5spd just wondering what the standard cam is like in the car?? is it a decent cam or should i change it over to bigger one?? got a chip going in it soon so wondering if that would make much of a difference. Any way just give me some tips on what i should do to mod da engine

Thanks

Slick_5spd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 06:02 PM   #2
TCK-098

The vct standard is nice ride though with a decent set of headers and exhaust they wake up marginally as for chip stay away from them they are crap been there done that.

Edit is the way to go camshaft is a touchy one with these as only a couple of guys in the country know what they are doing.

Btw welcome to the forums and enjoy.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:06 PM   #3
Slick_5spd
Starter Motor

cheers mate any way you recokon dont waste my time with a chiptorque chip?? i had it in my ef and its been sent away.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:15 PM   #4
TCK-098

Yes waste of time had one fitted to mine instead of gaining 5-7kw it lost 7.5kw therfore they mucked around with it and it had the same power as it did before chip was installed but still got the letter saying that it gained wtf.

save youre money get the flash tune done and you will be very happy.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:20 PM   #5
Slick_5spd
Starter Motor

No worries thanks for the heads up?? might get the chip back and sell it to my mate
for his ed
Old 05-07-2007, 06:24 PM   #6
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCK-098
Yes waste of time had one fitted to mine instead of gaining 5-7kw it lost 7.5kw therfore they mucked around with it and it had the same power as it did before chip was installed but still got the letter saying that it gained wtf.

save youre money get the flash tune done and you will be very happy.
Isn't any chip or edit only ever as good as the tune? Granted edit is better, but I guess what I'm asking is, is it the chip that's the issue for you, or the fact that it wasn't tuned particularly well?
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 06:31 PM   #7
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Nothing wrong with the stock VCT cam and engine, they can make pretty decent power, as much as a lot of cammed I6's if the tune is right. Edit all the way for that!
I've seen mine pull a 95mph pass which is certainly up there with a lot of cammed I6's, usually manual ones too!

Just for the record, this is the sort of times and MPH a well sorted auto AU VCT can pull on a 100% stock motor.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2007, 07:29 PM   #8
TCK-098

But I guess what I'm asking is, is it the chip that's the issue for you, or the fact that it wasn't tuned particularly well?

The answer to that would be yes i had a issue with the chip thinking great id get the car to where i wanted it and therefore it was tuned crap therefore i gave back item and voiced my opinions on both things.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:07 PM   #9
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

The chiptorque can be tuned almost as well as the edit... but only 1 person (Lachlan) can really do that and it takes a while. In the end the edit has more options and more tuners who have shown they know how to get the best out of it.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post