Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-06-2007, 06:25 PM   #1
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

Default Nitrous on the VCT

Ive got a NA VCT I6, and have been toying with the idea of a low boost Nitro setup for a while now

This is the kit Im considering http://www.zex.com/Base/Instructions/ZEX109.pdf

Its a dry injection which richens the fuel via the cars own injectors depending on how much N20 flow there is (it has its own little computer to work it out).

Im opting for dry due to its quick instalation, and Id imagine the chance of backfire are lower due to no fuel in the manifold, and I cant see a downside over wet injection if the fuel is still richened - but please correct me if I am wrong.

The problem I see though is with the ignition timing. How can you retard the ignition timing while spraying?

Is this something that the nock sensor will pickup on and retard automaticaly if it starts to detonate?

I am only looking at setting up a low HP shot for now, but that may change later, in which case, what can the AU motor handle, and whats gonna be the first thing to go if its overdone? What should I look at upgrading in preperation to keep it safe first?

Any tips pros/cons from anyone who has a Nitrous setup would be great.

Cheers yal

Last edited by robbo_yobbo; 24-06-2007 at 06:31 PM.
robbo_yobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2007, 06:39 PM   #2
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

I've looked into this myself and talked to a number of Nitrous runners (on Clevo's) and come to the following conclusions...
1) Get a wet system. The AU I6 injectors will possibly max out at high rpm leading to lean out and expensive holes in the motor. You could also get bigger injectors but a wet system seems to be a better all over choice. It also means you are in full control of the Nitrous/Fuel mix.
2) You will need an edit and a tune specifically for the Nitrous. This isnt a drama as you will only use Nitrous at the track (never on the street) so the tune can be loaded in at the track, run, and then the road tune reloaded. This solves all the ignition timing issues
3) 50hp shot is a no brainer, 100hp shot seems to be the safe upper level and 150hp shot sounds like a **** load of fun and, if tuned right, should be the go.
4) If it leans out your pistons are going to become donuts. You will also need to look at your lubrication and, to a lesser degree, cooling system. Oh, and its going to make the life of a stock auto noticeably shorter.
5) Don't scrimp on the system. Get the bottle blanket and all the best solenoids and switches. Secondhand bottle/bracket is ok but get new for the rest, its not that expensive and well worth the peace of mind.

In the end I chose not to go that way, its just not practical for a road car and, with police and RTA, is not worth the trouble to me.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

Never looked too much into the edit, I didnt actualy think it would need to be done to setup the nitrous, but I suppose theres no other way around the ignition timing.

I guess Id have to jet it at 20-30hp to get it setup and working with the standard timing and then up the jets at the same time as a tune

Mines manual so fortunateley auto trans life wont become a problem. Im always ducking and weaving to avoid the cops as it is, so one more reason will just make me a tad more alert (not that Id be expecting them to look for N20 unless I was using it anyway)!

If anyones already running nitrous, how bigger shot and how much time did it shave?

side q - How exactly does the edit work, whats needed, whats it worth, who can do it (do it well on a VCT in Adelaide), how many tunes can be loaded, and how do you switch between tunes?
Old 24-06-2007, 09:48 PM   #4
Sledgehammer
Banned

I'm running a 225 shot and can say that unless you have an expert setting this up, or know what you are doing you are playing with fire here.

As Casper said a 50 shot is cool, beyond this, well, can you say melted stock pistons etc
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2007, 11:26 PM   #5
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

I am putting nos on my car over the school holidays ....
if your motor is stock they you don't really want to go over 75-100hp

my clevo is 250 and 100 shot .. I am setting my I6 up with the same sort of kit .. I can take pics later this week if need be as I all ready know where I will be putting it and what amount of fuel extra I will need .

100 shot You will need about a extra 5psi of fuel
Old 25-06-2007, 12:12 AM   #6
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

yea, pics woul be great man, what are you doing as far as ignition retard?

I saw MSD do multi stage timing controlers that can retard the advance when the nitrous solenoid is activated, but is that sort of thing only for dizzy setups, or is there something that will work with a coilpack and factory setup without having to alter the standard ignition curve?

I was only lookin low, maybe 50hp to begin with, and bring that up over time after a bit of internal strengthening.....

a 225 shot is massive and would see my car at tripple the current HP!! I doubt Id even be able to get that traction to the ground! what sort of time difference did that make for you?
Old 25-06-2007, 09:21 AM   #7
Sledgehammer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo_yobbo
yea, pics woul be great man, what are you doing as far as ignition retard?

I saw MSD do multi stage timing controlers that can retard the advance when the nitrous solenoid is activated, but is that sort of thing only for dizzy setups, or is there something that will work with a coilpack and factory setup without having to alter the standard ignition curve?

I was only lookin low, maybe 50hp to begin with, and bring that up over time after a bit of internal strengthening.....

a 225 shot is massive and would see my car at tripple the current HP!! I doubt Id even be able to get that traction to the ground! what sort of time difference did that make for you?
For a 50 shot I would use a system like this one

http://www.holley.com/05186NOS.asp or http://www.holley.com/02121NOS.asp

Have a look around the NOS site too, it very informative.

If you use anything more than a 100 shot you'll melt your pistons
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post