Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-06-2007, 11:44 AM   #1
mimmy
Starter Motor

Default Knocking noise under car

I have an AU Falcon 1999 and there is a knocking noise under the car.

Our mechanic thinks it could be the buffers in the fuel tank that have come loose and making the noise.'

We have the car converted to gas so I don't use the petrol very often and I thought maybe the buffers could have dried out so have filled the tank up and the noise is still there.

Can anyone come up with any other ideas.

mimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2007, 08:15 PM   #2
hilly1981

How often does it knock? Does it knock all the time no matter what surface you drive on? Or does it only occur when going over bumps etc...?
Old 21-06-2007, 11:36 PM   #3
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and where under the car, front, middle, back more to one side? need some more info
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2007, 02:36 PM   #4
mimmy
Starter Motor

Default Knocking underneath

It is on most surfaces. We have had all new shock absorbers put in and it is still the same.
Old 22-06-2007, 02:37 PM   #5
mimmy
Starter Motor

Default Knock underneath

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
and where under the car, front, middle, back more to one side? need some more info
At the back it sounds like under the boot.
Old 22-06-2007, 09:07 PM   #6
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it's not the exhaust hitting the body is it? or the spare wheel well, or maybe a loose spare wheel?
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2007, 11:02 PM   #7
CMYAU3
Tyre Shredn

it could be the resignator has slide back a little out of the centre muffler and is hitting the rear axle? and if it happens when u go on and of the accelorator it could be the spacer in the diff is worn.
CMYAU3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2007, 09:08 AM   #8
Sledgehammer
Banned

also try the rear shock mounts, were they replaced? checked? with the new shocks etc. Try the sway bars and their mounting points too.

Not sure on buffers in the tank, when i pulled my tank out didnt see any.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2007, 10:01 AM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Would his mechanic be talking about "baffles" in the tank?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2007, 01:37 AM   #10
MRJUCY
Fordless

A bit off topic but I got in my car yesterday at the shops & as soon as I started driving noticed a shocking knocking noise & found all my wheel nuts had been undone apart from my lock nuts so I can only assume someone tried to steal my wheels & couldn't get the lock nuts off. I obviously wasn't happy but when I was thinking about it later I would have preferred to come back to a car with no wheels then if they'd came off while I was driving & crashed.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2007, 07:39 PM   #11
XR6Stu

I have an under car noise as well. Its a very tinny tapping rattle sort of a noise, and comes from the drivers side. It occurs whenever I go over any sort of a bump, and is driving me insane! Have checked all bolts, bracket and mounting etc! Sounds similar to what Mimmy has!
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post