Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-05-2007, 07:21 PM   #1
T2TL50
Proud Owner of a T 2TL50.

Default Re Sprey? Whats involved?

Hey there ppl,

As the title states i am looking @ a resprey of the TL.. just getting too many chips etc and i dot want em starting too rust!!

More recently i have had some nice little scratches added too her :(

I am looking for some advice on what to do and how to go about getting the car respreyed and the best ppl too see about it, i do not want a crapola job, i also want better then factory job too same color and everything...

Do i go too the extreme of removing the whole interior too have the roof line / inside of the doors , floor pan etc all fixed up??

i am more scared of having small rust patches comming up and biting me LOL..

then i am going to go through and fit everything back in etc better then factory LOL..

What are your thoughts knowing some of you out there have GREAT paint jobs...

HELP

Cheers Rick....

The T2 TL50!! Maybe You Will Own One, One Day!!
T2TL50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 07:36 PM   #2
au2sw
Blown 5L coming

depends how much time you have put aside for the job, how much your willing to spend and what mods you want to do along the way. if you were to upgrade the interior (re-trim, re-wire and add audio/visual items) and tidy up the engine with braided lines, hidden wiring etc, go the whole hog, strip her back to bare metal fix any little imperfections and go hell for leather on all mods!
if you want to spend as little as possible, just get the exterior of the car resprayed. quicker turn around times, and cheaper for the same result.
but as i said, it all depends on how lnong you want it off the road for and what you want to do with it.
just my thoughts, hope this has helped

NEW CLUB FOR SUNSHINE COAST !! www.f-p-e.proboards.com

Contact Col (au2sw) via PM or on MSN @ efmonty@hotmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Its like central locking in your car. We've all had cars without it and we were fine then, but try and take it from me? NO WAY.
au2sw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 08:32 PM   #3
toyotaxr8

a full black re spray for my Ute cost me $2000
Old 26-05-2007, 10:34 PM   #4
Bosman
T Series Club Member No24

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotaxr8
a full black re spray for my Ute cost me $2000

yeah but this is a T ! TE , S or L the job has to be prestine!!!! This car will be sometin in the future! Paint MUST be immaculate. Just my opinion. But i AM a 'T' Owner! Cheers Bos

FTe Venom T3TE50 No229 5.6L Manual Don't drive one! Because like so many others , including ME , you will become TOTALLY addicted.

2016 Harley Davidson Softail Heritage customized.
Dead set gorgeous!
Bosman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 10:35 PM   #5
slo351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$2000 damn thats cheap... if u want a better than factory re spray that will last you with quality products, i would set yourself atleast 5g, to know the panels would be ripple/ orange peel free
slo351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2007, 10:57 PM   #6
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

I've been down this road a few times...

$5000-6000 would be about the going rate for a good job.
You could pay more, depending where you go.
I know one guy who had his old XR Fairmont done for $8000, drive in/drive out.
That thing is immactuate, Show condition. Nothing to do but admire it.

Mates rates would be around $1000-2000
Bareing in mind paint for a whole car would be about $500-700 in paint alone.
Not to mention what else they may need for the job, masking tape, paper, fineline tape, bondo, sandpaper, Scotch-Brite and stuff...

You'd have to look around though and decide what you want to spend on it.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2007, 12:44 AM   #7
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im sure we would have some painters from near you on the forum somewhere??
give it time mate! and do your research!! ive had mates get ripped BAD by paint shops.. ie car doesnt get touched for weeks even tho you have given them the cash

ive also been told to agree on a price and make sure its in writing contract style etc!
an idea is to pay week to week for work done etc if possible

good luck!
make sure you take lots of pics when its done!
Old 27-05-2007, 10:09 AM   #8
toyotaxr8

$2000 is cheap. but that's what you get when you are the car in the middle of a car sandwich and slip the panel shop a little extra on the side. the car was done in ford factory paint from ford. come out looking like it was just off the showroom floor
Old 27-05-2007, 11:43 AM   #9
JefXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a top respray on your car would cost around 6g as stated by most peeps here,i wouldnt bother about stripping the paint unless its faded.
JefXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2007, 12:46 PM   #10
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

paint it yourself, my brother is 16 and is respraying hes car himself. ill post up pics and what not when its done. also were are u located??
51OAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2007, 01:19 PM   #11
JefXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lueoval
paint it yourself, my brother is 16 and is respraying hes car himself. ill post up pics and what not when its done. also were are u located??
Mate he is talking about a professional job,your brother at 16 can probably paint a car yes but it will be far from professional.
Old 27-05-2007, 02:06 PM   #12
XR6Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo351
$2000 damn thats cheap... if u want a better than factory re spray that will last you with quality products, i would set yourself atleast 5g, to know the panels would be ripple/ orange peel free
If anyone has the time to look closely enough, 99% of cars have orange peel from factory. When I had mine resprayed, it came out too flat, so we did it again with more peel in it. IMHO I think having a bit of peel makes it look like a better paint job.
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2007, 05:51 PM   #13
T2TL50

I hear you Bosman...

"Yeah but this is a TL! TE, S or L the job has to be pristine!!!! This car will be something in the future! Paint MUST be immaculate. Just my opinion. But I AM a 'T' Owner! Cheers Bos"

I am after a better then factory job and I want it with nooooo peel @ all smooth as glass lol...

As for not striping the car why would you not? I don’t want anything damaged... T-Series parts are expensive LOL.....

I am going to be taking my time and doing my research... I really don’t care if I have to drive the car bush as long as it gets the correct job and a decent price...

As for Blacksers10 comments "ive also been told to agree on a price and make sure it’s in writing contract style etc!
An idea is to pay week to week for work done etc if possible"

I would not be paying for anything other than the paint upfront... And once they have demonstrated that they have completed the task and not ********* n e thing up then they get the balance….. *do I sound harsh* I really doooo love my car :S

Oh and there would be a nice contract sorted out... also stating ANY damage they cause that differs from my EVERY panel pictures of the car before going to them changes.. They are going to fork out the $$$ to fix it

I don’t trust anyone these days I make sure I have detailed pics of everything so they can’t tell me it was already there...

I was setting myself up for the 5 - 7 k mark... But I will also help out where I can...
I really want to have the motor taken out so I can fix up the engine bay too!! Fix the rust from the batter holder thing and buff and fix the common faults...
Would it be worth it?

Thanks so much for all the help so far keep it coming!!

P.s n e one wanting to work on the Tl please let me know... (Professional ONLY thanks)...
Cheers Rick.

Old 27-05-2007, 06:00 PM   #14
toyotaxr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2TL50
P.s n e one wanting to work on the Tl please let me know... (Professional ONLY thanks)...
What do you mean buy Professional?
Old 27-05-2007, 06:05 PM   #15
BIG XR

you would be looking at around 6k for sure. but is it really nessessary to paint the whole car, i mean its fairly new. if it was me i would have the imperfections fixed up then spray a pearl over top of your factory paint. your choice of colour pearl, make it stand out.
BIG XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2007, 06:13 PM   #16
T2TL50

Nah ill keep it the way ford wanted her to be LOL...

Non pearl....

They look hot on other cars but am not so sure on the tl
Maybe on my project fairlane when i get it.. *hunting au 2 fairlanes for about 10 k*

then i will goo Fully Sick :P

As for the Pros... i am looking for people who have completed trade certificates as well as having completed high end paint jobs so there is less room for error...

i am not being rude or anything i just dont want too and cant afford errors :(

Cheers Rick

Old 27-05-2007, 06:20 PM   #17
BIG XR

well if you really want it then consult your nearest ford dealer as dealerships only use quality spray painters, i would no i work at one. they will point you in the right direction for a quality paint job.
BIG XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2007, 06:34 PM   #18
toyotaxr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2TL50
As for the Pros... i am looking for people who have completed trade certificates as well as having completed high end paint jobs so there is less room for error...

it just that because they have a trade certificate doesnt make them any good you need to see there previous jobs that they have completed and talk to the owners of the cars that they have done. i have worked with heaps of people with "trade certificates" and some i wouldn't even let near my enemy's cars
Old 27-05-2007, 09:46 PM   #19
Umineko
Karasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotaxr8
it just that because they have a trade certificate doesnt make them any good you need to see there previous jobs that they have completed and talk to the owners of the cars that they have done. i have worked with heaps of people with "trade certificates" and some i wouldn't even let near my enemy's cars
I'd second that, when I left my job here in Melbourne to move to QLD the company I worked for went through 12 "Trade Qualified" painters before they gave up in disgust and offered me a wad of cash to come back, mirror finish jobs take a heck of a lot of work and preperation, not to mention skill and experiance, there are a lot of painters out there who have trade certificates that I wouldn't trust to paint a push bike. I'd suggest you look around long and hard before you commit to anyone for the work, and it ain't gonna be cheap, personaly I wouldn't touch a job like what you want for under 5k, more if you wanted custom paints.
Umineko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2007, 11:26 PM   #20
-jjM-
Banned

Well if you want a Pro finish then we can talk.

My brother is a spray painter and my old man is a spray painter panle beater.

They both do it out of our shed and they get results.

They would charge 4-5k for a respray pending on how strait the body is and any little extras that might be added on top of that.

If you are keen then send me a PM and il get back to you.

Cheers.
-jjM- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2007, 01:56 PM   #21
-jjM-
Banned

Thats my bros car its 2pac cardinal red the paint is a year and a half old.

Plus its a shed job:P.

Old 28-05-2007, 03:49 PM   #22
JefXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fairly expensive for a shed job,panelshops have mega overheads and would do it for 5-6 and you want 4-5 for a shed job :\
Paint suppliers dont give any back up service to people working from a shed so you get no warranty.
No offence but everyone should steer clear of backyard or shed painters its illegal!
Old 28-05-2007, 04:09 PM   #23
-jjM-
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefXR8
Fairly expensive for a shed job,panelshops have mega overheads and would do it for 5-6 and you want 4-5 for a shed job :\
Paint suppliers dont give any back up service to people working from a shed so you get no warranty.
No offence but everyone should steer clear of backyard or shed painters its illegal!
And where in my post did I say 4-5K was a shed job???

The price ive posted above includes booth hire.

Cheers.
Old 28-05-2007, 04:58 PM   #24
JefXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by -jjM-

They both do it out of our shed and they get results.

They would charge 4-5k for a respray

Cheers.
Maybe from there?
Old 28-05-2007, 06:31 PM   #25
damon90
(advertise here)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -jjM-
Thats my bros car its 2pac cardinal red the paint is a year and a half old.

Plus its a shed job:P.

is that sraight from the gun i.e no rub and buff almost anyone could paint with peel then spend hours apon hours bufing it to get it like a mirror finish
damon90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2007, 06:41 PM   #26
-jjM-
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefXR8
Maybe from there?
Ok well I understand were this would have mixed people up.

They do most of ther work out of there shed as they get booth quality results, but they have access to a booth if the client wishes to use one.

Ive seen some shocking booth jobs it all comes down to the painter more so then were the job was done.

As long as the shed is a clean environment with no dust and a wet floor is applied its just as good as a booth, and if you get orange peel its not the end of the world as it can be cut out.

As far as I'm concerned I would have no issue if my car was done in a shed as long as the painter know what hes doing.
Old 28-05-2007, 06:46 PM   #27
-jjM-
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon90
is that sraight from the gun i.e no rub and buff almost anyone could paint with peel then spend hours apon hours bufing it to get it like a mirror finish
No thats not from the gun it had peel as it was done in a shed.

And no not anyone could paint peel then cut it strait you have to have decent skill not to break thru and make sure you dont leave 2000 scratches in the end.
Old 28-05-2007, 07:53 PM   #28
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rick i wan't your job!! :'( lol
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2007, 12:38 PM   #29
T2TL50

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennBA
Rick I wan't your job!! :'( lol

Maybe you could explain that to me???
As for the trade cert... It was only masking the basic that I wanted... do you really think i am going to wast a good factory paint job that i have no for the sake of a couple of $$$?
I would rather the car chip away for another year and get totally ********* then has to do it...
The car has NO I mean NO dents other than one in the bumper from the front gates falling on it :( but that’s a new bar job anyway!
I am budgeting for no less than 7 k... so I am sure I could find someone to do it for me...
Keeping in mind I have done plenty of spray jobs myself... i just do not want to paint the car myself, coz if something goes wrong no one to blame but myself
So you can all stress less I will be working long and hard to find someone with a track history of Great - EXELLENT cars lol...
Thanks so much for the inputs...
P.s the paint will be supplied to me by ford @ cost so that’s one cost they can factor out :F and no I am not going custom paints as mentioned before...
FACTORY ALLLLLLL THE WAY!
Cheer