Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-01-2007, 12:56 PM   #1
ayetobee
Starter Motor

Default AU series 1 instrument cluster

The LED display for the odometer on my instument cluster has faded. I can read it at night but not in direct sunlight. I called Ford for a new part but they said it was discontinued and I should try a wreckers.
I have a '99 Fairmont AU Series 1 (the one everyone called ugly). It was converted to gas by IMPCO (through Binks in Melbourne) with the fuel readout linked to the fuel gauge for either gas or petrol depending on which i am using.
So, I was wondering if the instrument cluster is the same for the series 1 as for series 2 or 3 (therefore I can grab any cluster). And especially considering the gas is linked to the fuel gauge will it continue to work? the way I see it the cluster should act like a dumb terminal, like a computer screen showing the information, but I may be very wrong. Any advice on where to find an instrument cluster or pitfalls to watch out for would be appreciated.
This forum is fantastic.

ayetobee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 03:40 PM   #2
Tech Trainer
Are you sure about that?

Try removing the cluster and replacing the light bulbs behind it first.

This could be a whole lot cheaper than replacing it.
Tech Trainer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Series 2 and 3 clusters are the same, but neither will work in series 1, as they were different. You'll need another cluster from a series 1 Fairmont or Fairlane, if you do do a new cluster at all. I'd be inclined to replace the LED's first though, as suggested above. A second hand cluster will sting you for about 220 bucks from a wreckers.
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2007, 11:11 PM   #4
ayetobee
Starter Motor

ah, thanks heaps for your help.

I read that on another thread before (hard to be patient when you have dial up).

I'll try it and report back how I go. Rumour has it I can get the bulbs from ford (i'll even try supercheap and see how I go). Thanks again.

Last edited by ayetobee; 22-01-2007 at 11:12 PM. Reason: bad html
Old 23-01-2007, 10:01 AM   #5
T-Pak Addict
Jim

if that fails try ebay, can pick them up for a song sometimes.

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2007, 06:21 PM   #6
ayetobee
Starter Motor

Thanks all of you, I may have bought a new cluster had you not advised me what to do.
It's fixed now, works just fine.
Thanks again.
Old 18-02-2007, 02:52 PM   #7
Hords
Treasure your balls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayetobee
Thanks all of you, I may have bought a new cluster had you not advised me what to do.
It's fixed now, works just fine.
Thanks again.
So what did you do in the end to fix it. Globes??